PDA

View Full Version : Merc Spill And A Hungry Hawk

angellionel
11-03-2009, 08:56 PM
I took my E-Trac out for a few hours of detecting at the park Angie and I had recently hit and scored with two mercs. They were both in the same hole. I worked the area for some time after that, but I didn't pick up any more silver, though I did dig up several wheats and many clad coins.

Both mercs have mint marks - S and D.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/November/CPH_silverdimes_110309.jpg

While detecting near the park's fence a hawk came flying down and nabbed an unsuspecting squirrel. It didn't stand a chance. I grabbed my camera and walked towards the hawk to take a photo. I took a few before it became a bit nervous and walked away from its prey. Here is that one photo.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/November/CPH_hawk_110309.jpg

bmattioli
11-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Poor squirrel.. Awesome pic of the hawk! Good looking Mercs and in the same hole? Nice!!

Bruce

Snowy
11-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Nice Mercs! And a beautiful hawk (thanks for not showing me the squirrel... I was cringing as I scrolled down, but I HAD to see the hawk. I expected a hawk with prey in its claws)!

Epi-hunter
11-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Nice mercs! :) That park is really tough. It has been hit hard. How many silver coins have you pulled from there altogether? Something like 50 or 60? I can't believe I found any silver there at all! :grin:

So your photo taking scared the hawk away from its prey? Good!

angellionel
11-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Nice Mercs! And a beautiful hawk (thanks for not showing me the squirrel... I was cringing as I scrolled down, but I HAD to see the hawk. I expected a hawk with prey in its claws)!

I did take several photos of the hawk while it held the squirrel. I like the above one though. :)

Nice mercs! :) That park is really tough. It has been hit hard. How many silver coins have you pulled from there altogether? Something like 50 or 60? I can't believe I found any silver there at all! :grin:

So your photo taking scared the hawk away from its prey? Good!

Yeah, more or less that many. :grin:

The hawk did go back to its meal, but it didn't stay there. It flew away with it to dine elsewhere in peace. I was being a pest apparently. :rolleyes:

Epi-hunter
11-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Yeah, more or less that many. :grin:

More, in other words. :grin:

Unbelievable. :shocked04:

hockeyguy
11-03-2009, 09:41 PM
nice shot! :rolleyes:very nice silver! :)

Jason in Enid
11-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Nice mercs. Wish I could find a park like that! Maybe one day......

You know, you and that hawk have a lot in common. Except your prey is the silver.

Bentfork
11-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Great picture. Congrats on another successful hunt.

OkieDigger
11-04-2009, 12:30 AM
Awesome digs and great pic!

Dave
11-04-2009, 01:03 AM
Congratulations on the merc's ! thumbsup01 Nice picture of the red tail hawk.

Krom
11-04-2009, 06:06 AM
I got 2 mercs from one hole once... great feeling. Congrats, Angel!
Makes you dance, smile, AND sing, huh?
It's nice to see that you had time to get the camera out to snap that hawk. thumbsup01

MNDigger
11-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Congrats on the nice little silver spill! Nice pick of the red tail hawk too! Sounds like he/she had tree rat for dinner!

marchas45
11-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Great Picture of the hawk Angel isn't it great to enjoy the great outdoors and still find some goodies, Yea! what a feeling you must have had. Congrats!! thumbsup01

catskillcomics
11-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Nice Finds Angellionel.. I was telling Aaron the other day that I may need to switch to an E-trac as you fellas seem to find plenty of silver with them.. but minelab users and white users are like Mac & PC users, it seems difficult to switch platforms.
What do you think, can a White's fella make an easy transition to an e-track?

Epi-hunter
11-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Nice Finds Angellionel.. I was telling Aaron the other day that I may need to switch to an E-trac as you fellas seem to find plenty of silver with them.. but minelab users and white users are like Mac & PC users, it seems difficult to switch platforms.

Talk to Dale and Steve .... OkieDigger and SteveMN. I'm sure they will be responding to this. :)

MNDigger
11-04-2009, 07:43 PM

The two machines I used before getting my Etrac, about 4 months ago now, was the MXT and DFX. I myself did not have any trouble making the transition and on my first hunt ended up with three silver dimes (see below). The only thing for me that was really different were the tones and getting use to them. That really only took about a week for me and I was really comfortable with what I was hearing. In my opinion the Etrac is a very easy machine to use and the programing is less complicated than the DFX. I don't usually push how good a machine is but the Etrac is a definate winner in my book. thumbsup01

angellionel
11-04-2009, 08:01 PM

I have used the DFX for several years and have done quite well with it. I had mine with the ToneID setting on, and loved it, so making the transition to the Minelab machines with their variable tones was fairly easy. Steve and Dale too were mostly White's machine users, and they also made an easy transition to the E-Trac.

catskillcomics
11-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Ok then.. looks like I'll have to try to find me an e-trac over the winter.. hope the wife doesn't kill me.. :lipssealed: :grin:

Dave
11-05-2009, 01:22 AM

If I remember right. OkieDigger, made the transitiion from a Whites to the Minelab.

del
11-05-2009, 06:31 PM
you are the park silver Guru Angel ,great picture of the hawk . did you actually hear it fall out of the sky to pounce on the tree rat ?it reminds me one time i was playing golf at westover when me and 3 buddies heard this most bizzaar whirling noise getting louder and louder ( scarey loud). we couldn't see anything in the sky but to me i was thinking of a large piece of aircraft debris plummeting to the ground anyways we all braced for impact ( covering our heads and cowering down ) i just happen to look the other way when i saw a squirrel get smashed to the ground by a hawk , that thing must have been diving at more than a 100 miles an hour from out of the sun and the noise was the wind traveling through the feathers when it hit the brakes to slow just enough to pounce on its prey.we all laugh about it now but it was one of the eeriest sounds :grin: :grin: at the time i felt like i was in an episode of Mutual omaha's wild kingdoms :grin: :grin: their magnificent animals .

Dan

OkieDigger
11-05-2009, 06:41 PM
I use or have used the White's M6, MXT and DFX for about 5 years before buying the E-Trac. I had to play a little with the tone response setting the first week, but I have to say it wasn't nearly as hard to switch as people think. My first hunt I took it to a place I had hammered numerous times and found two wheats, one at 7 and one next to junk. I went back to the same place a few weeks later after learning more about the machine and found a silver Canadian dime. These are my E-Trac digs for the past 4 months (the total time I have owned this wonderful machine).

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=89.0

These I found last weekend. I'm very happy with the nickel find as it's one of my rarer finds.

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=115.0

angellionel
11-05-2009, 07:37 PM
you are the park silver Guru Angel ,great picture of the hawk . did you actually hear it fall out of the sky to pounce on the tree rat ?it reminds me one time i was playing golf at westover when me and 3 buddies heard this most bizzaar whirling noise getting louder and louder ( scarey loud). we couldn't see anything in the sky but to me i was thinking of a large piece of aircraft debris plummeting to the ground anyways we all braced for impact ( covering our heads and cowering down ) i just happen to look the other way when i saw a squirrel get smashed to the ground by a hawk , that thing must have been diving at more than a 100 miles an hour from out of the sun and the noise was the wind traveling through the feathers when it hit the brakes to slow just enough to pounce on its prey.we all laugh about it now but it was one of the eeriest sounds :grin: :grin: at the time i felt like i was in an episode of Mutual omaha's wild kingdoms :grin: :grin: their magnificent animals .

Dan

That must have been something to experience! It's amazing how fast they come shooting out of the sky. :)

I was near the fence when it happened. I just heard somewhat of a thud, and there was the hawk, with its sharp claws around its prey. I'm just glad those birds of prey don't get large enough to consider us to be a tasty morsel. :shocked04:

SeabeeRon
11-06-2009, 02:34 PM
I may have missed it in here Angel, but what is your silver count up to now? Nice hit on the Two-fer!!

angellionel
11-06-2009, 02:43 PM
I may have missed it in here Angel, but what is your silver count up to now? Nice hit on the Two-fer!!

I'm stuck at 347. :) I hope to find one or two more this weekend, but the parks have been stingy lately. :)

Cheap Thrills
06-22-2010, 11:10 AM
I was going thru some of the older posts and came upon this incredible photo . Nice going Angel I've never seen anyone get this close to a live , uninjured Hawk . I'm sure a lot of other newbies
probably haven't seen this picture . thumbsup01 8) There are a lot of Hawks were I live and on two separate ocassions I have seen a couple flying with snake dinners :shocked04: . Belated congrats on the silver spill . thumbsup01

angellionel
06-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Yeah, I was surprised to have been able to get that close too. :yes: There are two hawks that frequently hunt squirrels at that particular park. The squirrels there must be nervous wrecks! :shocked04:stretcher:

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-22-2010, 07:37 PM
beautiful pic of the hawk angel and the silver ain't too bad either! :happydance01:

tanacat
06-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Fantastic!!! I had a squirrel in a Hav-a-Hart trap once (getting into my greenhouses & digging up my plants one too many times :ticked:) and a hawk came down, kept hovering over the trap- wanted it bad! I know this sounds awful but I let it out and let nature take it's course... :cheesysmile:

Geodawn
06-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Nature at it's finest...predator and it's prey...in other words, Angel and old silver. lol Nice job!