PDA

View Full Version : Large Copper Something?

hockeyguy
04-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Well guys, I haven't been around much as I haven't swung much or found much. Yesterday I did a 2 hour hunt and found 6 deep wheaties, an IH 1892,
and A small piece of silver (not a coin) . Today I, had a great day finding a 39 merc, several wheats and a copper. Not really sure what it is yet but I am
sure someone here will.

I got fooled by a few deep iffy signals that turned out to be deep nails. I moved and found a wheat. Then I used Angels cirlce technique, found another wheat and then this. I checked the signal for a leat 2 minutes from every angle in both normal and pinpoint mode....you know the deal. I said to myself self, how can
u not dig this? *' of soil out (easy digs) and it was gone. I know enough that this is one of 2 things; either very good or very bad. Tokk out a few more inches and scanned the pile. Oh boy thumbsup01, I know that sound. Large and green.

It says 1787, although I doubt it;s American. A pic of a horse on one side and a shield on the other. I have yet to clean this very well, but I can make
out some letters. Looks like NOVAKI?/ then UNU.

Anyway, I am sure del or another expert can tell me what this is and its value.

Hey Happy Hunting to all.

Aaron rofl :confused:

del
04-11-2010, 04:10 PM
very nice hunt your copper is a colonial new jersey copper although i can;t tell which variety. great find as some are worth a few bucks

coinnut
04-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Hey Great coin. It is American ... well sorta if you are counting ever state on it's own. lol It a New Jersey copper and in pretty good shape too. 1785-1788 was a time period just prior to the Federal mint being established, when most east coast states minted their own cents, to help fill the gap. Great find. Just Google New Jersey Cent or coin and see what pops up. Sweet find!! thumbsup01

hockeyguy
04-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Would u consider this a colonial coin? My guess is no. Should I put it in a potato to clean , tumble it (yeah right) or just lightly brush it? Almost seems as
thought the shield is a bit off center.

Anyway, i am stoked to get into the 1700's again!

Aaron

coinnut
04-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Would u consider this a colonial coin? My guess is no.
Aaron

It's considered a colonial coin, because it was minted during the colonial period. It doesn't get any more colonial than that period of time in my book lol.

As for cleaning it? Either don't do it or read up on the hot hydrogen peroxide method. But if in doubt....do nothing. Sometimes cleaning exposes more pits and removes the loose corrosion that is actually letting you see the details of the coin. You can put some olive oil on it, and if you want to store it longer term, you can put some microcrystaline wax on it.

The shield may be off center a bit and not well done. This is a period when the engravers were less concerned with being perfect and more concerned with getting the product out the door. We had a shortage of small change. Dies were hard to make and involved much manual labor, so imperfections were not worried about. That is why you will see some double strikes, clipped planchets, one coin stamped over another, etc... No one cared, it was just a cent

Cheap Thrills
04-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Nice going ! thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Baba

catskillcomics
04-12-2010, 05:53 AM
Great Job Aaron thumbsup01
I still can't believe you've pulled this out of an area I've worked nearly all of last year :ticked:
BUT, that just lets me know there is a lot more there for future digs thumbsup01