PDA

View Full Version : Large Tombac Button

Bell-Two
12-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Went out yesterday to our field sites, first find was very large Tombac button, then moved across the road to hunt the site where we have found Indians, seated dime and more. Found a crusty and beat 1910 wheat and a small buckle. The mud is so bad now with the rain we have been having it makes field hunting a real chore.

The half dollar is for size comparison.

del
12-24-2012, 01:34 PM
Tombacs are old buttons and most were late colonial to about 1810 , your large &quot:grin:andy-sized one suggests 1780's to 90's in age . while most are a nice silvery in color they can range from that to a dull gun metal grey and i have seen very few to reddish grey or blue-ish silver. . Smaller ones are the more commonn type while the very large like you have are an oddity to find. its a nice one hope to see it when your done cleaning it Bell-Two.

hey don't know if you noticed but i did post a link with a bit more info on your eagle button's post in the what is it category.

Dan

Bell-Two
12-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Tombacs are old buttons and most were late colonial to about 1810 , your large &quot:grin:andy-sized one suggests 1780's to 90's in age . while most are a nice silvery in color they can range from that to a dull gun metal grey and i have seen very few to reddish grey or blue-ish silver. . Smaller ones are the more commonn type while the very large like you have are an oddity to find. its a nice one hope to see it when your done cleaning it Bell-Two.

hey don't know if you noticed but i did post a link with a bit more info on your eagle button's post in the what is it category.

Dan

Yes I did see the reference and it helped quite a bit. I am in process of cleaning it like you said with toothpick and have gotten a fair amount of the crud off looking better to get more will be a bit more time as you said it will be slow going. Thanks for the info!

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-26-2012, 08:38 PM
nice tombac.listen i have a suggestion.It takes me 2 mins to clean a tombac like that.get a fine brass bristeld brush in any paint dept store.wal mart,lowes,home depot etc.the bristles are as soft as a toothbrush .wet the button,a drop of dish soap and brush it.works like a charm.i dont know why every relic hunter doesn't have one of these brushes by their sink? fast & efficient.i wouldn't steer you wrong.look at my tombacs i cleaned all 3 in 3 mins,top left hand corner

Bell-Two
12-27-2012, 10:43 AM
I do have several of those brushes from Harbor frieght I will give it a try. Thanks!

Fire Fighter 43
12-29-2012, 04:59 PM
WTG those are some nice buttons |:cheering: