PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Aurora, Colorado

anvilmanco
12-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Tony Two Cent metioned this Forum so I checked it out and liked what I saw. I spend a lot of time on one of the other Forums (where I met Tony) , but it's always nice to have at least one more go to spots for sharing and new ideas.

I've been loving and active in Metal Detecting off & on for over 30 years. I built my first Detector from a HEATH KIT ( a lot of you puppies never heard of them) back in the late 70's, if I can remember that far back. I was still living in Lincoln, Illinois then. Pretty exciting since I'm red-green color blind. But, I had my kids sort all the colored resistors, and parts, etc and i labeled them and got it done. Only had one Red and Green wire mixed and once that was found I was off and running. The coil on that thing was the size of a pizza pan. I wish I still had it for nostagia purposes. Some of my best finds were with that thing. Once, I found 2 standing liberty silver halves about 6 feet apart. Thought I would die of excitement. Then I bought a couple Garrett Groundhogs and enjoyed the heck out of them.

I then moved to Aurora, CO in 1987 and life got in the way and the MD's sat for a few years. I'm back at it big time for the last couple years and have purchased a Fisher F-2 last spring and just got a GARRETT AT PRO a few weeks ago. I promptly broke my arm 2 days after getting the AT PRO, so I haven't even used it yet. Can't wait to get healed and get after it soon.

We're hoping to take about a 3 month trip from Colorado, across the Gulf Of Mexico state, to Florida and then back through the Mid West in early Spring. So, I hope to get in a lot of beach hunting and maybe dig that beautiful black Mid West soil again.

Glad to be here.

Keith

del
12-24-2012, 06:58 PM
very nice intro Keith , hello and welcome to the forum . although i never had one i do remember those Heath Kit build it yourself detectors it was around the time i got my first detector . i wish you well on your trip and hope you get a lot of detecting in there , glad you joined us and Merry Christmas.

Dan

buck57
12-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Hey Kieth and welcome from mid Mo. :waving: I have a sister-in-law living in Aurora, and she is scoping places for me to detect next time we're out that way. There is a stream on the way to Black Hawk which she say's, a few people work, and looks promissing. I also swing the AT Pro, and I'll think you'll enjoy it. Good hunting to ya, and don't for get to post some pic's. Eric

Tony Two-Cent
12-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Hi Keith! :waving:

Hey, I'm glad you decided to join us here on the American Detectorist forum! We have a lot of knowledgeable detectorists here, and we're happy to add you to our ranks.

I hope your arm heals quickly and that you are out there swinging that new AT Pro real soon! Be sure to give me a heads up when you are traveling through Illinois this spring, maybe we can get together for a hunt.

Tony

Lowjiber
12-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Glad to have you join us. Welcome from southern Nevada.

I had one of those old BFO machines too. After seemingly hours of tuning it, I finally found my Oldsmobile parked in my driveway. lol

JTGOLD
12-26-2012, 03:22 PM
welcome from central Illinois.

Fire Fighter 43
12-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Hello Keith and welcome to the forum from SE Wisconsin. I remember those old kits, never owned one but drooled over the ads until I got my first Whites. HH and GL

anvilmanco
12-27-2012, 12:32 AM
Thanks to all of you for your kind words. I can tell I'm going to be splitting a lot of my time with you all and
brand X :dontknow:.

Ah yes, Pontiac, Illinois. My buddies are still heavily involved witht the Illinois Valley Blacksmith's Association shop there at the Thresherman's Reunion grounds. I was, and still am a member of IVBA and was there when it all got started. Great group of guys. Hmmmmmmm.. wonder about hunting those grounds:huh: Surely some have.

Ok, gotta go get my beauty sleep and some more healing on the arm, hopefully. It's 7 deg F right now. Definite Brass Monkey weather.

EKW

CyberSage
12-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Hello Keith!
I live just North of you up in the Fort Collins Area. I have buddies down in the Denver area I hunt with from time to time. Would enjoy hooking up sometime for a hunt. The first detector I used was in the 70's. It was a kit as well. Thanks for checking out the forum. I look forward to your post. I hope that arm heals up good by the time the ground thaws.

Jack

aloldstuff
12-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Welcome from western MA. Did you get the brass monkey in, 7 degrees is to cold. Hope your arm heals quickly and you det to swing that AT Pro. Looking forward to your posts.

anvilmanco
12-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Would love to meet up with local people when it gets warmer. Thanks for the note, Jack.

Brass Monkey is real and I'll explain, in another post, what it means. I think it's neat.

Aloldstuff, I didn't understand what you were trying to say about the Brass Monkey. Forgive me for being dense. :thinkingabout:

Again, I'm really glad I found this Forum.

EKW

jkress
01-06-2013, 02:14 AM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Thank you for joining our group here at American Detectorist. :yes:

It is great to have you here with us.

OxShoeDrew
01-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Broken arm stopped ya? What's wrong with yer other arm? :poke: lol I glad you joined us and look forward to your posts.

anvilmanco
01-09-2013, 12:09 PM
I know, broken arm and all, I'm just such a pussy :grin:, but a real sweetheart when you get to know me. I'm getting the itch really bad, so it won't be long.

Again, it's nice to find this Forum.

Regards,

EKW

CODY
01-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Welcome to the forum Keith. Welcome from Mississippi.