PDA

View Full Version : Rare coin

Perry
12-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Hi All: I suspect few have seen one of these //
I found this in a cave in Afghanistan back in 1977 during the Russian conflict
It probably came in from China where they were sent to compete with other coinage during that period Perry

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/jpteele/DSCN2333_zpsf2657eac.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/jpteele/DSCN2336_zpsa75295fc.jpg

Thiltzy
12-27-2012, 06:32 PM
I have seen one dug before it's a very cool piece of history. :congrats:

Full Metal Digger
12-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Thanks for sharing I think we would all love to hear the story of this awesome find and also if you have wondered all these years if there wasn't more of them hidden away in that cave!

Tony Two-Cent
12-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Not only have most people never found a trade dollar, most people have also never found a coin in a cave in Afganistan! thumbsup01

Great story and an incredible coin! :wow:

milco
12-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Thats a crazy find! Lots of those types of coins are counterfeited now in the far east/middle east, but I don't think that was going on back in the 1970's! Amazing!

Perry
12-28-2012, 04:21 PM
A very Brief tale of my afghan adventures

I went there on assignment with a US AID project to computerize there inventory control system for the Afghan fertilizer Co.( built and set up by an earlier contract ,to get, warehouse and dist. Fertilizer to the farmers--)
Note there was only 2 computers in the whole country in 1977. 4 days after I got there the local Communists Attacked and wiped out the ruler and his whole family and about 2000 “troops”he had guarding his interests. TOTAL CAIOSE // Not knowing our standing, several guys and I set out to see if we (about 60 Americans )could walk out of country with woman and children and survive//
During this trip we found the cave and I was checking it out and found the coin—WE determined that it was to hard and risky to try // At the end ,3 months later, we all flew out with little problem
These next 3 months are a story in them selves//// Perry