PDA

View Full Version : Late Season Silver in the Snow

Tony Two-Cent
12-27-2012, 08:20 PM
I have this week off, and I decided to brave the temps in the low 30s for a hunt today. I can usually hunt in just about any temp above 20 F as long as the wind isn't blowing and the ground isn't frozen. :frozen:

I decided to go back to the park where I found 2 Mercs and 2 Barber Dimes on December 1. It is about an hour to the southeast of where I live. No snow on the ground here, but when I got to this park there was 1-2 of snow on the ground. Oh well, I've hunted in snow before. :dontknow:

I think the snow cover actually kept the ground from freezing. Our lows have been in the low 20s at night. The ground wasn't frozen at all, but it was extremely muddy. No spectacular finds, but I was just happy to be able to hunt this time of year. I hunted for about 3 hours and ended up with 10 wheat cents, 1 Mercury Dime and 1 Rosie, plus some clad.

Here are my finds for the day. Did you ever see such a muddy mess?

Here are my finds after a light cleaning:

Keepers:

Some of the older wheat cents:

1925 Mercury Dime:

I found this medallion on Christmas Day on a short hunt with my brother at the old farm site that he got permission to hunt. (The land belongs to his brother-in-law.) This site has potential, but it was tough to hunt with all of the bean stubble in the field, plus it was very windy and freezing cold! We may try it again in the spring. We found 2 wheat cents and this medallion. I think it says, American Woman's League - Founder's Chapter.

I don't know if this will be my last hunt of the year or not. Temps are supposed to remain in the 30s for the next few days. We'll see.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

Thiltzy
12-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Great Haul for a snow hunt. Tony, I am amazed at how nice your coppers come out of the ground :shocked04: very little corrosion on any of your wheats and they seem to clean up nice. what gives :)

JTGOLD
12-27-2012, 09:53 PM
nice silver and wheats Tony and a good hunt,wtg.

dalewestaby
12-28-2012, 01:31 AM
NO WAY DUDE :frozen: I cant bealive the ground isnt frozen for you let you lucky guy!!!! Keep digging so we all have something to look at :pirate:

anvilmanco
12-28-2012, 04:48 AM
Nice job, Tony. It never ceases to amaze me, just how much quality stuff must be underground. Good hunting,

Keith

aloldstuff
12-28-2012, 08:18 AM
From a muddy pile to a very nicley cleaned pile. Great that you are still able to get out and find some good stuff. I think we are pretty much done here as we just got 6 inch of snow with some more predicted for the weekend. :congrats: on braving the snow and mud.

Cheap Thrills
12-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Nice hunt Tony and a good job on restoring the dignity to those coins . |:cheering:

milco
12-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Nice hunt Tony! All frozen solid here, so I hope you post some more finds yet another few times!

RobW
12-28-2012, 03:33 PM
:frozen:.at least you were rewarded for it!

Congrats on some cold hard silver

dave in iowa
12-28-2012, 05:24 PM
great hunt , snowed in here where i am , for the last few years i have contemplated a drive soutyh , but who knows
|:cheering:

Ill Digger
12-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Did you ever see such a muddy mess? :white:usaflag::
Yeah :yes: That's about what all my stuff looked like after we all hunted together,in the rain, a few weeks a go . lol
Way to go on the late season silver Tony! :clapping:
Congrats! :grin:
Hopefully it won't be too long before we're able to :detecting: again. :daydream:

CODY
12-31-2012, 11:55 AM
Nice finds Tony! Toooooooo cold for me :frozen:! :congrats: