PDA

View Full Version : Frolicking with Dave in the snow total of 56 buttons from colonial

Thiltzy
12-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Like I have said before, I am glad Dave is crazy enough as I am to hunt a colonial prior to s snow storm :hysterical: This was my 3rd visit to the colonial and 2nd with Dave. We new it was going to snow later in the day so we figured we could get a solid hunt in before the snow started. It was fun while we were there but a dreadful ride home and probably one of the most dangerous :crazy:

Dave grabbed the spotlight this hunt with the Vermont Copper and a complete buckle, I did manage 12 more buttons bringing my total count to 33 and a total of 56 between the two of us. One button from this hunt stood out from the rest and I am hoping that Dan or Dave might be able to shed some light on it.

I believe it is a complete Pewter button and it seems that there are 3 letters on the back that look like someones initials or a maker mark of sort:huh: :dontknow:

fsa46
12-30-2012, 04:02 PM
It's hard to keep a good man down , you both done well my friend. :yes:

Glad you both made it home safe and sound. :needadrink:

I stand by one of my other replies to your post.... looks like a virgin site. :drool:Few and far between.

Thiltzy
12-30-2012, 04:38 PM
It's hard to keep a good man down , you both done well my friend. :yes:

Glad you both made it home safe and sound. :needadrink:

I stand by one of my other replies to your post.... looks like a virgin site. :drool:Few and far between.

So true Frank, it takes a lot to keep me inside the house. The site was virgin for certain I just hope I can squeeze more than 3 coins out of it.

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-30-2012, 05:42 PM
awesome buttons! i'm not quite sure that one is pewter? I have found many like that but seem to have more of a lead content than pewter because like yours they come out in great shape.pewter tends to be flaky & brittle.maybe they are a pewter/lead mix with some having more lead & hold up much better.I been meaning to ask this question to Dan & now seems like the perfect time to ask..pokes Dan :poke: whats' the verdict on these buttons Dan?
glad you made it home safe,it was a very nerve racking drive home to say the least but being hardcore ya gotta live up to the reputation & I think we did that this hunt! <}

del
12-30-2012, 06:35 PM
great outing Todd , glad you guys got one more hunt in :cheering: :cheering: some sweet designed dandy buttons you been pulling out of that area :smitten:. the button with the letters is infact a tombac and not a pewter , i've haven't seen a pewter that had a wire shank yet. Tombacs as you know were mostly copper , zinc and tin but there was a whole slew of other metals that could and were added in . Todd yours probably has the makers initials or the owners on it. heres a great read on tombac buttons .

http://www.tias.com/articles/buttons/archives/97_11_02/articles.html

Thiltzy
12-30-2012, 07:44 PM
great outing Todd , glad you guys got one more hunt in :cheering: :cheering: some sweet designed dandy buttons you been pulling out of that area :smitten:. the button with the letters is infact a tombac and not a pewter , i've haven't seen a pewter that had a wire shank yet. Tombacs as you know were mostly copper , zinc and tin but there was a whole slew of other metals that could and were added in . Todd yours probably has the makers initials or the owners on it.

Thanks for the education Dan and Dave I am still trying to learn as much as I can about colonial relics and once again you guys come through.
So Dan, when are we going to hunt some cellar holes together? You, Dave and myself should get something going. It seems your name always comes up in conversation during our hunts yet, you aren't there with us and it seems you should be :yes:

Thiltzy
12-30-2012, 07:48 PM
glad you made it home safe,it was a very nerve racking drive home to say the least but being hardcore ya gotta live up to the reputation & I think we did that this hunt! <}

So close to being stranded :-\ I could tell Dave was nervous , he must have smoked a full pack of Camel on the ride home rofl

del
12-30-2012, 08:38 PM
So Dan, when are we going to hunt some cellar holes together? You, Dave and myself should get something going. It seems your name always comes up in conversation during our hunts yet, you aren't there with us and it seems you should be :yes:

well after last night (we got about 7 more inches of snow >:#) i won't be out detecting anytime soon unless you guys had a lot less down there. i also wouldn't mind some more water hunts too , no i will be getting out to do some hiking for new spots with George very soon. anytime you guys want to get together for some detecting when the snow clears just let me know , i'd be very happy to join ya both.

Dan

Thiltzy
12-30-2012, 09:57 PM
well after last night (we got about 7 more inches of snow >:#) i won't be out detecting anytime soon unless you guys had a lot less down there. i also wouldn't mind some more water hunts too , no i will be getting out to do some hiking for new spots with George very soon. anytime you guys want to get together for some detecting when the snow clears just let me know , i'd be very happy to join ya both.

Dan

Any weekend that has a negative low tide I will be in the water Dan so check your tide charts and I will be glad to have you as company.

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Dan's gonna change his name from Del to Flipper pretty soon! I can't picture him in the water :confused: :pirate: