PDA

View Full Version : Another cold hunt! Decent Indian Head and an old Foreign Coin?

Tony Two-Cent
12-30-2012, 08:53 PM
We had a high temp of 35 today but the sun was shining and there wasn't much wind, so I decided to give it one more shot for the year. I went back to the park I hunted a couple of weeks ago where I found the 1898-O Barber Dime. Today was only my second hunt at this site.

The finds were a little more sparse today. The second target I dug was a green disc a little larger than a nickel. It made my heart skip a beat at first, as I thought it was another two-cent piece. Alas, when I got some of the dirt rubbed off I could tell that it was a foreign coin of some sort, holed too. Pretty neat find, even if I didn't know what it was! :dontknow: lol

A little later I got a perfect 12-35 Indian Head signal at 6 deep. Unfortunately, right where the target was centered there was a hopeless web of large tree roots. However, I was so sure that it was an Indian Head that I was bound and determined to retrieve the target! After about ten minutes of sawing with my Lesche I finally popped the coin out from under a large root and it was a nice 1888 Indian Head. I can't believe that I got it out from under the roots without scratching it! :happydance01:

When the sun got low on the horizon the temperature dropped noticeably and I called it a day. I ended up hunting for about 3 hours.

Here are my finds for the day:

Here is the foreign coin I found at the beginning of my hunt. It's a little bit bigger than a nickel. One side of the coin is fairly clear, but the details are almost totally worn off on the other side. It says, BRODRAFOLKENS VAL on the nicer side. On the worn side I can see the numeral 2 with a crown on each side. A quick internet search tells me that it's a 2 Ore coin from Sweden probably minted between 1874 and 1907. Pretty neat, even though the date is illegible.

Here is the 1888 Indian Head that was hiding under the tangled web of tree roots. :hairpulling:

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

Tony Two-Cent
12-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Upon closer examination I think the date on the Swedish coin is 1870-something. Possibly 1877?

JTGOLD
12-30-2012, 09:13 PM
nice looking IH and I agree the other coin looks to be 1877,to cold for me so I will wait
till spring,good hunt Tony.

POKIE73
12-30-2012, 09:34 PM
congrats on your finds its good to see somebody getting out its a little frozen up here you can still hunt if you have some woods with leave cover but thats about it for now i like that swedish coin its quite different dennis :detecting: :detecting:

Ill Digger
12-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Your persistence pays off once again Tony! :yes: thumbsup01 I dig the 2 Ore !! |:cheering:
I like finding those old foreign coins! They're way cooler than just another clad coin! :yes: lol
Nice green patina to it too! :smitten:
Way to tough out another late season hunt! |:confused:)
Congrats! :grin:
If I wasn't sicker than a dog :sick: I was wanting to go out too. :envious:
Happy New Year bud! :groovy:

Full Metal Digger
12-30-2012, 11:30 PM
Nicely done Tony! I'm glad you could get out. We have 4 inches of snow here so I stayed in and did domestic duties! Best wishes and HH, Dave.

Cheap Thrills
12-31-2012, 01:53 AM
Nice hunt Tony .Gorgeous Indian and the two Ore looks like 1877 to me also . |:cheering:

aloldstuff
12-31-2012, 07:42 AM
Tony, nice that you made one last hunt for 2012. Nice looking IH and the foreign coin looks really cool, I can see how you thought you had another 2 center.

del
12-31-2012, 09:31 AM
the silver and key dates are great to find but its sometimes the uncommon coins and relics that keep us very interested and can be a nice break in this hobby to. congrats on the sweet indian and 2 ore Tony |:cheering: |:cheering:

Dan

CODY
12-31-2012, 12:30 PM
Great finds Tony, :congrats:

serega
12-31-2012, 03:03 PM
Tony friend hello.
(2 Sweden with a hole)...... Interesting piece, I like |:cheering:

dave in iowa
12-31-2012, 04:12 PM
very nice indian , even has some diamonds on the ribbon |:cheering:

Metal Illness
12-31-2012, 06:20 PM
It looks as if the Sweedish coin has a 2 on the back of it, so you may well have found a 2 center, tho not what we normally find. Beautiful Indian, your perseverance paid off. I'm in SW Ohio with 8 inches of snow on the ground. My last hunt was Dec. 19th. Congrats on the cool finds!

tanacat
12-31-2012, 06:40 PM
:congrats: Nice looking coins!

Glad you got out to hunt -I'm going through DTs these past couple weeks :shocked04:verreaction:

milco
01-29-2013, 09:49 PM
Cool finds Tony, old foreign coins are always nice items to recover! WTG!