PDA

View Full Version : Al pulls a Rob - -surprise silver/IH in clad - - UPDATE

aloldstuff
01-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Had today off of work so after doing some chores I decided to clean up the clad I had left over from 2012. Tumbled the clad for over 2 hours and this is what I found = = 1957 Wash. The dirtiest silver I have ever found, even after the tumbling.

Now brings 2012 silver total to 68, wish it was like Rob's 101

Thanks for reading

UPDATE - -I just cleaned up my wheats, tumbled them and what appears.....1886 IH. I really do need to start paying better attention.

buck57
01-04-2013, 04:33 PM
:congrats: Way to go Al thumbsup01 How good do those tumblers work? I've been debating on getting one. The coins in your pic looks good. Do you have a before pic?

aloldstuff
01-04-2013, 05:09 PM
I was just planning on cleaning the clad so I never take pictures of my clad. I have had my tumbler for 6 years now and I like the results. Currently using fish tank gravel but I have a bag of crushed walnut shells which I will before Spring start using on some wheats.

RobW
01-04-2013, 05:35 PM
:peace:. way to go :clapping:.....that sure beats my nickle lol

Congrats on a long lost find :grin:

So we going out detecting tomorrow :poke:

nicklehead
01-04-2013, 07:28 PM
:congrats: Way to go Al thumbsup01 How good to those tumblers work? I've been debating on getting one. The coins in your pic looks good. Do you have a before pic?

All of my clad comes from city parks. Our soil is extremely alkaline out here and the park soil is all artificial fertilizers and manufactured soil, not that sweet humus laden stuff like back East. Zincs just about dissolve in a year or two and I usually can't date a dime thats been in the ground for more than a couple of years the crud and color is so bad. I tried chemicals that really just turned the clad an obnoxius shade of pink and purple and the vibratory tumbler I use for reloading wouldn't touch the crud so I bought the $40 tumbler Harbor Freight sells and have never looked back . The reviews are terrible but if you adjust the belt so it just has enough tension to turn the drum and lubricate the bushings on the drive and idler , I don't see why it won't last for years. A little dollop of vinegar and a little dish soap and the coins pretty much clean themselves after a day or so. I change the water once but thats it.

buck57
01-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the info Al & Nicklehead. I've been looking at the ones at Kellyco. Don't mind spending the $$ if I know it will do the job. Good hunting all thumbsup01

RaZR
01-05-2013, 06:48 PM
I use a Thumlers tumbler i got off E-Bay. I use aquarium stones a little dawn dishsoap and water with pennies. I have a seperate drum for clad and use the same in it but add a couple caps of cheap lemon juice in each load. They get cleaner and shiny with a little citric acid in the mix. Mine is an older double drum machine so i can run both at the same time.

GL/HH

OxShoeDrew
01-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Nice surprise Al! Funny how it went from don't know what it is to nice looking silver.

RobW
01-07-2013, 10:40 AM
A silver Quater and an Indian.......you really ARE old and blind! :tongue:

aloldstuff
01-07-2013, 01:51 PM
A silver Quater and an Indian.......you really ARE old and blind! :tongue:

tough crowd on here..... :cool: :stretcher:

Tony Two-Cent
01-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Hey Al, you'd better look through your pulltabs again. There might be a $5 gold piece in there. :poke:

aloldstuff
01-07-2013, 08:38 PM
Hey Al, you'd better look through your pulltabs again. There might be a $5 gold piece in there. :poke:

Thanks Tony, that was the 1st thing I did. rofl

CODY
01-10-2013, 02:12 PM
WTG Al. Love my tumbler! Makes quick work of it.

milco
01-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Al, way to salvage some keepers! Even better you got to find them twice!

jkress
01-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Score! :peace:
Just like a new hunt. :clapping: A silver Washington and an IH is a nice hunt.

Congrats Al.