PDA

View Full Version : interesting field finds

castletonking
01-05-2013, 09:00 AM
here are more items I've pulled from my field..10 acres of interest and I only have scratched the surface.any info on any of the items? thanks

Tony Two-Cent
01-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Wow! :shocked04:

It looks like you have a dream spot to hunt, Castletonking! :drool:

Those are some great coins and relics! We don't find stuff that old here in Illinois. I'm sure that Dan (del) can help with some of the coins, buttons and buckles. He's our resident expert on colonial items.

Any chance we can see the other side of the coins?

Congrats on the terrific finds! :clapping:

castletonking
01-05-2013, 09:56 AM
yup here you go faces and backs

Tony Two-Cent
01-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Wow again! :wow:

Wonderful coins, especially the 2 reales! :smitten:

And that 1867 Indian Head looks like it was brand new when it was dropped!

Thanks for sharing these fantastic finds!

castletonking
01-05-2013, 12:11 PM
well you are very welcome.

del
01-05-2013, 12:23 PM
some very quality finds from that field , i suspect there was a cabin there at one time from all the coins and buttons your finding. congrats on the coins (love the 2 reale and George III half penny)

Dan

castletonking
01-05-2013, 12:47 PM
I am just amazed that the fields which I hay every season have such old items in them..I never dreamed of what I would find..looking at town maps..there was nothing at all built in the field so possibly it was a camp or a very early cabin with no record of it..it's 1/4 mile from the Castleton skirmish..which happened on the sunday before the Hubbardton battle,which was just up the Hubbardton road from the skirmish.The only rev. war battle fought in Vermont.

DAN03USMC
01-05-2013, 08:22 PM
C.K. found this..... it could be your answer

American Encampment. There are no markers between Castleton and the Hubbardton Battlefield, but there should be one about two miles south of the battlefield. It is here where General St. Clair and his forces were encamped when they heard gunshots that marked the beginning of the Battle of Hubbardton. It was the early morning hours of July 7, 1777. They broke camp quickly and were in Castleton just a few hours later.

good stuff! HH

castletonking
01-05-2013, 08:42 PM
very interesting,i know where that camp was,however the landowner forbids trespassing and never gives permission to go there,however I'm not too far from there,there may have been other camps in the area.

C.K. found this..... it could be your answer

American Encampment. There are no markers between Castleton and the Hubbardton Battlefield, but there should be one about two miles south of the battlefield. It is here where General St. Clair and his forces were encamped when they heard gunshots that marked the beginning of the Battle of Hubbardton. It was the early morning hours of July 7, 1777. They broke camp quickly and were in Castleton just a few hours later.

good stuff! HH