PDA

View Full Version : Fried Queen Victoria

sniffy
04-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Found this today at a site that has only produced (no backmark) colonial buttons, a KGII, and a farthing....I can make out what appears to be a bust facing left, and BRIT....Im stumped, it's bigger than a large cent. Someone had a nice house fire and this poor coin fell victim. The other side is completely useless, I'ts melted to the max.

After further examination and help from Coinut and several others, the coin mystery has been solved. This coin is a Bun Head Queen Victoria. This is a very modern coin in contrast to all the other targets. So far no buttons with backmarks, and only colonial items. I believe this cellar hole was ony a temporary dwelling while the larger home was being built very close by. Perhaps this home was standing alone for several years before it burnt down and someone along the way dropped this coin? I honestly don't think It was lived in up into the queen victoria era. There is absolutely no modern targets anywhere. :confused:

coinnut
04-12-2010, 07:10 PM
That is one ugly copper lol What did it read for numbers? It's probably just a KG copper. Could also be more modern if it's quite a bit bigger. Is it a Queen Victoria Penny??

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Great-Britain-old-1-penny-1887-Bronze-Queen-Victoria_W0QQitemZ280490742128QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_216?hash=item414e8d1170

Are you sure about the Brit part? That one looks like it took a direct hit from the flames. Most of the colonial homes we hunt, mostly went down by fire, probably more than once. :yes: It's no wonder some of the coins took the brunt of that. I have found many buttons that were obviously melted, but no coppers, so far. At least you got a copper and no further damage can come to it. It is after all, a couple hundred years old, and worth preserving.

sniffy
04-12-2010, 07:25 PM
That is one ugly copper lol What did it read for numbers? It's probably just a KG copper. Are you sure of the Brit part? That one looks like it took a direct hit from the flames. Most of the colonial homes we hunt, mostly went down by fire, probably more than once. :yes: It's no wonder some of the coins took the brunt of that. I have found many buttons that were obviously melted, but no coppers, so far. At least you got a copper and no further damage can come to it. It is after all, a couple hundred years old, and worth preserving.
I have the Prizm 3 stashed in the jeep now. It was a solid penny/dime signal...it didnt' budge. It's funny, the DFX didn't pick this one up....it was right on the slope of the cellar hole...I've gone through the same spot a dozen times....but the trusty lil prizm locked right on to it. BUT...the last time I was at this site...(sunday) I started digging tons of different signals, not discriminating much, just digging...and pretty close to the spot I dug this coin, I pulled a bunch of iron out. Spikes, nails, ect. ect. So this smores copper must of been hiding amongst it. ??

SeabeeRon
04-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Nice toasty coin!!! :grin:

coinnut
04-12-2010, 07:34 PM
You would be surprised how much we are missing that is deep within the iron blanket. :ticked: I dug a part of a lip that was near a chimney collapse. I dug about 12-15 down and about 25 square feet. I had detected this area previous and got lots of chirps, but no solid signals. I removed the dirt in layers and was rewarded with 2 coppers and around 25 buttons. I was shocked. But removing that much dirt is not as easy as it sounds. There are tons of large rocks and roots everywhere :ticked: I think you removed enough of the iron to unmask that copper. I'm really thinking it's a Queen Vic.

Epi-hunter
04-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Wow, yes, that is one toasted coin :shocked04:

Found this today at a site that has only produced (no backmark) colonial buttons, a KGII, and a farthing...

Man, that's tough. I hate when my sites don't produce anything interesting. lol

:cheesysmile: :cheesysmile: (Sorry, couldn't resist...) :cheesysmile:

A toasted copper is still a copper, right? :) A really nice find, no matter what condition!

sniffy
04-12-2010, 07:56 PM
You would be surprised how much we are missing that is deep within the iron blanket. :ticked: I dug a part of a lip that was near a chimney collapse. I dug about 12-15 down and about 25 square feet. I had detected this area previous and got lots of chirps, but no solid signals. I removed the dirt in layers and was rewarded with 2 coppers and around 25 buttons. I was shocked. But removing that much dirt is not as easy as it sounds. There are tons of large rocks and roots everywhere :ticked: I think you removed enough of the iron to unmask that copper. I'm really thinking it's a Queen Vic.
I thought the same thing at first, BUT....it just doens't match up. I then was looking at King Edward coins, they don't match up....I'll be pretty suprised if it's a modern coin, close to 20 buttons with no backmarks....but who knows. Regardless, I think it's awesome.

coinnut
04-12-2010, 08:05 PM
I thought the same thing at first, BUT....it just doens't match up. I then was looking at King Edward coins, they don't match up....I'll be pretty suprised if it's a modern coin, close to 20 buttons with no backmarks....but who knows. Regardless, I think it's awesome.

Yea I thought since the head was so close to the rim, it looked like the picture on E bay of Queen Victoria. It would have to have the letters Brit right as the hair slopes down. Maybe if you can get some more of it to show up, we can try and find which copper it is. Or you may never have enough details to give it a positive ID. But I agree, it's still a good find. Get's the heart pumpin' when a large disc comes out of the ground lol Maybe someone else can ID if from just that part of the silhouette.

sniffy
04-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Ok..your reply pushed me to drag this burnt disc out again....after examining it closer, I do believe it to be a queen victoria bun head...Not as old as I imagined it to be, but it's big, it's round, and it's copper!... :grin:....and I'm counting it! :twirlingeyes:

coinnut
04-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Ok..your reply pushed me to drag this burnt disc out again....after examining it closer, I do believe it to be a queen victoria bun head...Not as old as I imagined it to be, but it's big, it's round, and it's copper!... :grin:....and I'm counting it! :twirlingeyes:

Hey if that's what it is, it could be as old as 1862. At least that's the earliest date I could find for her coinage. And you can count anything you want as a copper :yes: It's your find. They are big, and a heart stopper when they come out! It must have been one heck of a fire. Knowing the approximate date, there should be some small cents there as well. If that copper didn't come in before, think about the masking hiding a lonely Indian Head. :shocked04:

leslie(nova scotia)
04-13-2010, 08:39 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....she is rather toasty!