PDA

View Full Version : colonial gold?

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-08-2013, 04:43 PM
i dug this last year at a cellar near the well.I was told maybe victorian era.now this cellar hole is not on the 1860's map.while searching e-bay i came across this ring.very similiar in design.so,maybe my ring is colonial after all? theres no markings inside what so ever.its definitely gold
http://www.ebay.com/itm/17th-18th-Century-BRONZE-RING-11-3-4-US-21-25-mm-4885-/290489518699?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a286 4a6b
can you tell im bored? lol . i need to get out detecting grrrr!

Thiltzy
01-08-2013, 07:20 PM
That would be stellar if it was indeed colonial gold. I hope you can get some one to ID it.

When you can't get out to hunt there is no better way to quench your thirst than going thru old finds. We can tell that your bored Dave but in a few days we will have some new relics to cherish :yes: Patience my friend :hysterical:

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-09-2013, 11:28 PM
reply I received from a overseas goldsmith below
Hi Dave,
The ring could very well be American colonial. I cant be sure without seeing it first hand, and I dont have much experience with American jewelry from that period; but to me it looks like it could be a signet ring from that vintage.
Thanks, Matt

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 10:35 PM, <xxSKULLBANGERxx@aol.com> wrote:

Hi,
I was metal detecting a old colonial foundation in the woods and near the in ground well i found this ring 5 inches in the ground.
there are no markings or hallmarks.it acid tested around 14kt.
I found quite a few colonial era copper coins.1787 up to 1817
my question is does this ring look this time period based on the design.the band has a reversed convex shap on outside as you can see in picture.please help with any info if you can.
thanks so much
Dave W in waterbury.CT