PDA

View Full Version : tips

DAN03USMC
01-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Been lurking in this section for a while. I am very impressed by the quality and the quantity of your finds............this is a question for the highliners who post here.

could you give some basic tips of how you do your beach detecting. I live 5 min away from the beach and have detected there many times over the years, but seldom do I find anything worth-while.

Do you wade?
do you look for certain things on the beach it'self?
public beaches?
Low tide only?

any info would help. thanks in advance, Dan

del
01-12-2013, 09:12 AM
hey Dan , im not the guy to ask (as my surf detecting skills are as green as they come :embarrassed: ) but there are a few guys that really know some very helpful info . Frank gave me a few tips to look for , i had no idea what to pay attention to or what to think about when detecting in the low tide or in the water. maybe Frank will chime in or anyone lese with some water detecting skills , i know i'll be all ears.

Dan

fsa46
01-13-2013, 06:26 AM
Been lurking in this section for a while. I am very impressed by the quality and the quantity of your finds............this is a question for the highliners who post here.

could you give some basic tips of how you do your beach detecting. I live 5 min away from the beach and have detected there many times over the years, but seldom do I find anything worth-while.

Do you wade?
public beaches?
Low tide only?

PM Sent

Thiltzy
01-13-2013, 05:45 PM

Do you wade?
public beaches?
Low tide only?

Hey Dan, welcome to the water forum. I see that Frank sent you a pm so I am sure he gave you all the info your looking for. I will answer your questions with my water hunting experience:

Do you wade?
Yes, I always wade when I beach hunt. I find that most of the jewelry is in the water and the competition is a lot less competetive in the water. The dry sand hunters usually hit the same beaches every weeked and some do it every day.

I like to study the lay of the sand bars and make mental notes of sand depths in the water. That way you know when the sands have been shifted or cut.

public beaches?
I hunt all beaches but the public ones are always gonna have more activity and better chance of goodies.

Low tide only?
Yes, I only hunt low tide because I only hunt in the water.

Good luck!

milco
01-13-2013, 06:19 PM
Welcome and good luck in your beaching hunting! Plenty of people on here to give you tips, I am not one of them though.

BOWSER
02-17-2013, 06:11 PM
i have hunted alot of the beaches around me and never found any thing along the shoreline, I would like to find a detector that will do well on wet sand, without wading out to my kneecaps.There are ways to read a beach ,but i can't seem to get the hang of it. I have spent a lot of time at humarock Dan and never found anything. Ineed to learn how to read a beach,It may be harder than understanding a woman tho.

fsa46
02-19-2013, 06:03 PM
i have hunted alot of the beaches around me and never found any thing along the shoreline, I would like to find a detector that will do well on wet sand, without wading out to my kneecaps.There are ways to read a beach ,but i can't seem to get the hang of it. I have spent a lot of time at humarock Dan and never found anything. Ineed to learn how to read a beach,It may be harder than understanding a woman tho.

Sovereign GT for wet and dry sand. Awesome machine for those conditions. IMHO