PDA

View Full Version : error coins (first attempt at posting pics)

sjv
04-13-2010, 08:39 AM
wish me luck :-\ The penny is broadstruck, no? The 6 is also affected, it looks doubled and there's a definite dip where the line is.

The next is a dime with a clear reed error. The center between the top and bottom is recessed. You can see the copper layer. Strange huh? Both are searches found in a bucket of pocket change. I actually have 2 more pennies that are similair, just not as pronounced. Need some feedback. Thanks

coinnut
04-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Hey, I've found some of those pennies. I always thought that they were formed because of the intense pressure that is applied to coins during mintage. Since they are not copper any more, the zinc is much softer and is subject to deform more. I don't know if that's the case or not, but that's what I always figured it was. Is it an error? If it was produced at the Mint, the yes, it's probably an error, although a very common one. Now the dime is really cool. If it wasn't produced in a machine shop and was truely done at the Mint, then that's a cool error. Value is always determined by what someone is willing to pay for it, so no value guesses from me lol I would 2x2 them and look up grading companies and see if they have had similar ones reported. If they have slabbed some, then you would get a better idea if they have any real value. I doubt the pennies are worth anything, but the dime could be worth a little bit. But most of the desirable errors are vivid double strikes, overdates, incorrect metals, and severe off centers, among others. So I don't think you can retire on the, but they are nice and collectable. Just my guesses though. Not bad for just glancing at some pocket change lol

sjv
04-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Yeah the dime definitely strange. The edges of the top layer and bottom layer are perfectly straight. If someone did this in a machine shop, they did a good job.

del
04-13-2010, 02:11 PM
hey i'm glad you figured out the picture posting thing Sal, good job. very strange looking dime indeed. :twirlingeyes: