PDA

View Full Version : My first hunt for 2013 - Dime Trifecta, Indians, Washington

Tony Two-Cent
01-12-2013, 08:11 PM
It has been unseasonably warm here for the past two days, with high temps in the low 60s. Unheard of for January in central Illinois. (But I'm not complaining!)

I headed out at first light this morning and it was already 50 degrees. Crazy! The first site I hunted at was a sidewalk strip in front of an old church in the town where I work. My very first find for 2013 was an Indian Head Cent. I also found several wheat cents along this strip, but no silver and only the one Indian Head.

So I decided to go back to the park that I first hunted on Thanksgiving Day last year. Right away I found another Indian Head Cent, then a few more wheaties. After a while I ventured across the street to hunt a sidewalk strip that was adjacent to another old church. Along this strip I found a 1956 Rosie, a 1936 Merc, an 1889 Indian Head and a 1941 Washington. Pretty good for a sidewalk strip. I could tell that it hadn't been hunted as much as the park. thumbsup01

Then I went back to the park and found a 1900 Indian Head and a 1904 Barber Dime.

It was a very fun day, especially for January! I ended up with 4 Indian Heads, 13 Wheat Cents, 1 Barber Dime, 1 Merc, 1 Rosie and 1 Washington.

Alas, the temperatures are plummeting tonight and we're supposed to get 2-3 inches of sleet and snow. High temperature tomorrow of 29. :-\

Here are today's finds:

And the keepers:

Four Indian Heads:

Here are the silvers for today:

I have found these things before but I'm not sure what they are?

I found this thing in the park about 7 deep. I guess it's a small candle holder? It seems to be silver plated. On the bottom it says, Made in U.S.A Pat. Pend.

This buckle was the deepest item I recovered today at 9. I'm certainly not a buckle expert, but it looks old to me.

That's it! Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

Full Metal Digger
01-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Awesome finds Tony!! I'm glad you were able to get out. Our weather here was crazy warm but I didn't know if the cold front was through you yet. Looks like we both got trifectas today! Maybe it will warm up by next weekend?? I need to get back to the farmhouse I was at today! GL and HH, Dave.

milco
01-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Some super finds Tony! Great finds for a good day's work! Way to take advantage of the warm weather!

RaZR
01-12-2013, 10:23 PM
Great finds Tony! I'm not sure if that one thing is a spark plug gap tool or not? I love the little candle holder though.
It was warm here today also. My middle son wanted to go out with me (first time) he found .02 i found .32 no silver and only one wheat. Looks like you got all the silver there. :drool:
Oh well, guess it's time to hibernate till spring. [size=36pt]NOT!!!

GL/HH

Sal66
01-12-2013, 10:44 PM
:congrats: Tony ! Your killing me with all the finds lately. That's it ! No Soup For You ( a spin off from the show Seinfield) .
It 's been mild here in CT on some days except there's still snow on the ground . The woods might be the best chance here.
Seems like it's gonna be another Silver year, for you anyway. That round thing looks like a spark plug gap tool, the Buckle looks 1800's but the candle holder is questionable but a great find to say the least.
Happy Hunting and you welcome for the Good Luck Charm I sent you.
Sal

aloldstuff
01-13-2013, 07:40 AM
Tony, been waiting for this post. Nice dime trifecta and you are off to another tribe of indians. The candle holder looks cool. I'm in agreement that the round thing might be a sparkplug gapper.

Sorry to hear of the weather turning but at least you got in this hunt. Huge :congrats: on a great start to 2013.

CTDirtFisher
01-13-2013, 08:48 AM
Nice finds Tony... Great start to the year... thumbsup01

angellionel
01-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Very nice assortment of excellent finds, Tony! :clapping: The silver is sweet, but I'm also loving the IHs. :smitten:

skribnodsister
01-13-2013, 08:24 PM
:wow: Tony, I don't even like to look at your post anymore! Just Kidding lol Awesome Hunt! That's a cool candle holder and buckle. :congrats: on all that Silver and IHs :perfect10: :perfect10:

z118
01-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Amazing digs! I took advantage of the same thaw myself but didn't do nearly as well as you! Congrats.

Hook
01-13-2013, 09:20 PM
geez!!! when you start a new YEAR,,,YOU START A NEW YEAR :hysterical:
way to go!! we would all love to have a hunt like that, i know i would kill for one. keep it up!

jkress
01-14-2013, 12:28 AM
:clapping: :peace: :clapping:
It sure didn't take you long to start popping some keepers. :happydance01:

Glad to hear you had some gorgeous weather for hunting, makes it all the better. :drool:
Silver and IH's = a Tony Two-Cent signature hunt. :smitten:

Congratulations on the awesome digs. Looking forward to the coins you get your coil over this year. :-> :-> :->

btw - h belated bd!!!!!

Bell-Two
01-14-2013, 08:38 AM
Wow what a start to what should be a super year for you! My nephew Paul dug that exact same Webster Chicago item! Looking forward to your posts and videos in the coming year!

RobW
01-14-2013, 03:24 PM
All I can say is... :envious:

RaZR
01-14-2013, 04:27 PM
The more i look at it the more i think it's not a spark plug gapper. The parts sticking out would be different sizes. That company made recording machines ans phonograph equipment so it may be part of one of those. I wouldn't think it could be the thing you use to make a 45 record fit on the phonograph. But it kinda looks like one of those too!
:huh::huh: :dontknow:

anvilmanco
01-14-2013, 04:51 PM
:beatdown: That's it! I'm coming to Monticello on my big Epic spring trip. I'll stay at my favorite RV park in Cerro Gordo and we'll clean that area out. |:cheering: You are definitely the man in hitting it correctly.

That iron webster thing looks like one of the plugs that twist locks into the bottom of a steel bank. Seems like I remeber those from my youth.

Keep up the good work.

Keith

anvilmanco
01-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Scratch my idea about a bank plug. On a whim, I googled the name and it clearly came up as a 45 RPM adapter, like was suggested above. http://www.etsy.com/listing/48294879/metal-45-record-adapter-webster-chicago.

That's what it is. happydance02

Fire Fighter 43
01-14-2013, 05:36 PM
WTG Tony, that is a great start to the new year. Good luck with the new season. |:cheering:

PL8MAN
01-14-2013, 07:14 PM
Wow , what a start to the year ! Great bunch of finds thumbsup01
Glen

Tony Two-Cent
01-14-2013, 09:28 PM
That's it ! No Soup For You ( a spin off from the show Seinfield) .

I actually met the Soup Nazi a couple of years ago. thumbsup01

Scratch my idea about a bank plug. On a whim, I googled the name and it clearly came up as a 45 RPM adapter, like was suggested above. http://www.etsy.com/listing/48294879/metal-45-record-adapter-webster-chicago.

That's what it is. happydance02

Thanks for the positive ID on that object, Keith! Mystery solved! Much appreciated! |:cheering:

And, as I was logging my finds into my records journal, I noticed that an 1889 Indian Head was one I had never found before. Good to fill another hole.

Ill Digger
01-15-2013, 01:54 AM
Man o' man! 8/ Your off and runnin' Tony! :yes: thumbsup01
I sure wish I wasn't in bed sick all weekend. :sick: crying01
The silver total is already adding up! :envious:
Congrats man! :grin:

jkress
01-15-2013, 02:45 PM
I actually met the Soup Nazi a couple of years ago. thumbsup01

Awesome!!!!!!! :peace:

zrickkid
01-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Nice job Tony. I get to central Illinois a lot. My sister lives in Saint Louis so im down there a lot. Maybe we can hunt together in the spring. Happy trails! :)