PDA

View Full Version : Help! How far south do I have to go?

dalewestaby
01-15-2013, 08:01 PM
My older and brother and I are from Wisconsin and cold weather is upon us. We want to drive south saturday and detect. How far south into illinois or IOWA should we drive to get to non frozen ground. Please someone shoot some town names at me for reference. :crossfingers: :detecting: :frozen:

Hook
01-15-2013, 08:08 PM
well dont come down here!! (southwest Louisiana) its not froze up, it just sucks trying to find silver :hysterical:
good luck wherever you end up!!

nicklehead
01-15-2013, 08:38 PM
I'm not sure what the parallel is here but something like the 35 , 36 or 37---somewhere around the Mason-Dixon line and it was 9 last night---looking at 5 tonight --enjoy the drive!

Tony Two-Cent
01-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Cairo thumbsup01

Tony Two-Cent
01-15-2013, 08:56 PM
But seriously, it has been getting down in the teens here every night this week, although it is supposed to warm up some by this weekend. In fact, the high temp here on Saturday is supposed to be 48.

jkress
01-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Ron and I are keeping our fingers crossed for Saturday here in Iowa.

We had soft ground again on last Saturday but the recent single digit nights recently froze it up again. But with Friday's warm up... Saturday just might work again. :crossfingers: Good luck if you and your brother make it out.

dalewestaby
01-16-2013, 06:51 AM
Cairo is 10 hours south, a lil too far for me lol. Jkress, how far south are you guys talking?

Tony Two-Cent
01-16-2013, 07:00 AM
Cairo was my feeble attempt at a joke. It's located at the southern-most tip of Illinois. They pronounce it KAY-ro like the syrup.

Southern Illinois actually got bombarded with snow at the end of December, up to 18 in many places down there.

dalewestaby
01-16-2013, 11:33 AM
haha definitely not headed that far then. My limit is about 5 hours from la crosse wi.

AmxFred
01-16-2013, 02:03 PM
I think my south of I-80 drives are also over for the winter. Looks like Paducah, Kentucky may work but it is six hours from Dekalb. I guess I will just sit and look out the window until spring. >:( >:{

RaZR
01-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Cairo was my feeble attempt at a joke. It's located at the southern-most tip of Illinois. They pronounce it KAY-ro like the syrup.

Southern Illinois actually got bombarded with snow at the end of December, up to 18 in many places down there.

I thought you were going for Egypt! :hysterical: (i'm not real sure if it's south of Wisconsin or not) :dontknow:

aloldstuff
01-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Definately sounding like an addicted detectorist......where can I get my next dig? Hope you find a spot.

milco
01-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Just get yourself an ice pick and head to the fields around La Crosse!

Epi-hunter
01-16-2013, 10:55 PM
I am in Lexington, KY (Paducah is a few miles south of me) and the weather hasn't been that much different than where you are. Last night we had a winter storm warning although it didn't amount to much - but the tree branches, my car, etc were all encased in ice. The temps are hovering in the mid 30's and lower in the evening. It is currently 30 degrees at 11pm; lows into the 20's and even the teens predicted for the nights the rest of the week.

Not sure how far the frozen layers go in terms of ground, as I haven't checked. Ground that is usually in sunlight may be relatively unfrozen.

Still, not a lot different from your temps. Not worth the drive! I too am waiting for better weather. :)

Ill Digger
01-17-2013, 12:03 AM
Just get yourself an ice pick and head to the fields around La Crosse!
:yes: Yep! thumbsup01 It ain't easy detectin'. \:hammer:
But it'll definitely help ya scratch that itch ya got. :yes: lol

dalewestaby
01-17-2013, 06:35 AM
Tooo bad, we are headed to Illinois on Saturday. Treasarrrggggh :pirate: We will most likely hit up some soccar and football fields.. its our best odds at real treasure for not knowing the area. We will literally be driving blind. I have an ATpro and my bro has an ACE 250

midas
01-17-2013, 06:46 AM
My older and brother and I are from Wisconsin and cold weather is upon us. We want to drive south saturday and detect. How far south into illinois or IOWA should we drive to get to non frozen ground. Please someone shoot some town names at me for reference. :crossfingers: :detecting: :frozen:

Time to hang it up for the winter! Take time for your family, do some research on sites for the spring. Winter is natures way of telling you detecting is over for the season.

AmxFred
01-17-2013, 07:31 PM
Tooo bad, we are headed to Illinois on Saturday. Treasarrrggggh :pirate: We will most likely hit up some soccar and football fields.. its our best odds at real treasure for not knowing the area. We will literally be driving blind. I have an ATpro and my bro has an ACE 250

The soccer and football fields are all frozen. Don't waste your gas.

dalewestaby
01-18-2013, 06:44 AM
We are going to try anyway, perhaps some wooded park forest we stumble upon then

jkress
01-18-2013, 10:38 PM
We are going to try anyway, perhaps some wooded park forest we stumble upon then

Good for you Dale. Ron and I have plans for detecting tomorrow. Mid day might just give some soft ground. :crossfingers:
Best of luck to you and your brother.

Tony Two-Cent
01-18-2013, 10:49 PM
Good luck, Dale!

I am heading out tomorrow too. It's supposed to be sunny and 50 degrees here.

dalewestaby
01-19-2013, 05:53 AM
Awesome, we are headed towards luoisianna, MIssouri. Its right on the edge of mid western illinois. I need to find a place to buy a pinpointer around there. Mine burnt out

Full Metal Digger
01-19-2013, 08:42 AM
Hi Dale,

Try to get as far south as Springfield IL and you will be in digger's heaven! Foecast temp for the St. Louis area is 56 today. I'll be out! HH, Dave.