PDA

View Full Version : First ultra-brief hunt with the E-Trac

Geekwinkle
04-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Took the new E-Trac to a local park at lunchtime - the park is over 100 years old but ultra trash filled. I had maybe 30 minutes to kill so I fired up my machine and off I went. I've hunted this park for years with my XLT, and while good finds can be made there they have been very few and far between of late. During my first few passes with the E-Trac I knew this was a whole new ballgame. Targets are EVERYWHERE. While I've been reading Andy's book and playing with the emulator nothing could truly prepare me for this. I have been trying to commit most of the common FE-CO numbers to memory and before I'd gone 4 feet from the car I get a solid 12-43. Two minutes later out pops a clad dime at about 3 inches. While yes, it's clad, it's always fun to hit targets early and often. :cheesysmile:

What I didn't expect (since my XLT rarely chirps unless there's a goody nearby) is all of the TRASH targets the machine is hitting. Holy cow. While I didn't dig them all, I dug a lot even though I knew they would likely be trash just so I could get a feel for the machine, pinpointing, etc. I also refused to believe there could be that much junk in the ground and I was concerned the machine may have been falsing. NOPE! All junk. Tons of it. Foil, screwcaps, tabs, bits of aluminum tubing (at least I think it was aluminum), light bulb sockets, you name it came out of the ground one after another. I may as well have crawled around with the detector shortened all the way because I couldn't swing without it sounding off on something! rofl

Anyways, that dime was the only coin I dug and with me learning the machine, combined with digging every signal, I wasn't upset or terribly surprised. But I'm going to have to take some time to learn this machine so I have a prayer of covering more than 20 - 30 feet an hour!

I still have a lot of reading and testing to do, but I had to comment on the sheer amount of targets this thing picks up where my XLT just sat there and did nothing.... :poke:

HH all!

coinnut
04-13-2010, 02:59 PM
lol Are you going to have fun. Where there is trash, there is silver lurking below. If you want to just try cherry picking for a while, just dig any 12-33 and up targets. Don't worry about nickels or gold for now. 12-33 is a low reading for an Indian. I would take it slow and only dig 12-45 or 12-46 and any lower 45 or 46 numbers (like 10-46 or 8-46 etc) And always dig any 01-40+ signals lol Don't want to leave a silver doller there. But you are doing the right thing. If you can handle digging a lot of readings, DO SO. This is how you learn your numbers. Besides, some nice targets sometimes come in on the trash numbers. The more you dig, the more you learn. I'm glad you got your ET and glad you like it! Can't wait to see what you turn up. That park is an excellent park for deep silver. Nice 'n old :yes:

moseng
04-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Hey Geekwinkle,

Welcome to the Minelab world! Where each swing can sound like a machine gun in your ears! Soon though you will be able to siphon out the trash and right in the middle of it all you WILL find the treasure! It's a great feeling to hear a good tone right in the middle of 3-4 pieces of trash! If I had to give one piece of advise it would be to swing slow and have fun! Ok, that is 2 pieces of advice! :)

Epi-hunter
04-13-2010, 05:26 PM
After awhile you won't even hear the trash tones. Just background noise. You can set it to disc out those mid-tones if you can't stand it, but I think it's easier to hear the high tones among the trash if you hear it all.