PDA

View Full Version : an updated new V3i is out :huh:

del
04-13-2010, 03:25 PM
check this out
Spectra V3i Intro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7uYopapvdo&playnext_from=TL&videos=HZT-n20Lm18&feature=sub#ws)

randy
04-13-2010, 03:37 PM
And apparently you have to pay $100 for the upgrade if you bought your machine before Nov 1st. :mad: :mad:

I'm wondering if the more technical among us could explain how the polar plot would be used? Is it simply strength at that frequency plotted where that VDI lands on the VDI circle? I'm still not sure how that would make ID'ing a target easier -- I guess it is something I'd have to play with.

Lowjiber
04-13-2010, 05:19 PM
I like the ground information in prospecting mode.

I'm very disappointed that they didn't include the long-promised dongle though.

Spanish? I just moved from northwestern Mexico. Nuff said on that one. rofl

CyberSage
04-13-2010, 07:09 PM
I, for one am very disappointed in White's complete and total failure in the production of the USB Dongle. The V3i is not a new detector by any means. It is a ROM revision, and the fact that they are charging a $100 plus shipping is an outrage. Maybe they should include a free D2 coil with that upgrade since they still continue to fail. I will sell the V3 and buy a E-Trac before I pay Whites another dime for this already very expensive detector. This is not in the spirit of the White's Detectors that has brought this company to where it is today. In my opinion somebody is making some very poor decisions on behalf of the the once proud company. ARE YOU LISTENING WHITES? I encourage you not to waste your money on this upgrade. I would really like to see a response from Whites on these issues as described. I know this is an unexpected rant, but it needed to be said.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Cheap Thrills
04-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Press one for English ............ :twirlingeyes:

coinnut
04-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Yea, that upgrade is getting a lot of hot responses (and not the hot ones White's wished for). lol I think if their machines worked well when they first come out, this would not be an issue. But it seems, too many faulty coils, software issues and the infamous USB Dongle leaks are causing an uproar. Don't leak information that you are not sure is going to be offer soon after. The upgrade has some nice features, but it just seems White's doesn't have it's timeline well established. Iron out the bugs first, make sure the manual is available and correct, and then release your machine. As far as this upgrade is concerned? It should have never been release this soon. From a detectorist point of view, I'd be happy they released it, from a company image point of view....bad timing lol I'm gonna wait it out and see if I can get the V3ixc model7, when it comes out in about 3 months rofl That way I get it all and don't have to suffer through all the changes. thumbsup01 I love you White's but really :embarrassed:

CyberSage
04-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Well said...

BHNugget
04-14-2010, 01:34 AM
I will sell the V3 and buy a E-Trac before I pay Whites another dime for this already very expensive detector.
Keep Swing'in
Jack

Its just an upgrade thats really not needed.I dont think it will even lower the value of your V3 by not having it.Look on the bright side,they could have slapped on some new stickers and a new coil to get rid of the existing stock and then come out with a complete new model shortly afterwards,like another company. :grin:

Lowjiber
04-14-2010, 07:48 AM
I agree with the comments above. I really have no need to send my V (one of the originals) in with $100 so my analyze screen will draw the data in vector format; the threshold & disc are in different ears; and the instructions are in frickin Spanish...BIG DEAL!!!!

In June of '09, a White's distributor (not a dealer, mind you) told me about the much needed dongle, with the expected availability date in September time-frame. I placed my order then, telling him I'd take one sight-unseen. Well, we saw where that one went...NOWHERE.

Regarding the coil issue...
I've had two bad 10D2's. I won't waste my time hunting the V with one again...the last failure was in the middle of a hunt. My coil of choice for the majority of my hunts is the (V-rated) 6x10DD. The fact that the new V3i has a what coil are you using? feature is crap IMHO. Anyone who knows much about detectors realizes that the only thing such a feature could possibly offer is a slight re-calibration of the depth reading when changing coil diameter. Big Deal!

My V works just fine. Thank You.

midas
04-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Here is the official verbage for the upgrade:

What about my customers who recently bought a V3?
Customers who purchased a V3 after November 1, 2009 will be able to return their detector to a V3 Upgrade
Center for a free upgrade. Shipping is $25. Customers who purchased a V3 before November 1, 2009 can
upgrade at a cost of $99.95 (plus $25 shipping). V3 Upgrade Certificates will be available for customers late-April.

At least White's is offering an upgrade at a reasonable price. No sooner than a month after I bought my Xterra 70, Minelab upgraded the model to an Xterra 705. I'm still waiting for them to offer upgrades to X70 owners.

Carl
04-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Well, based on all the complaints about the upgrade, I think in the future White's will follow their competitors and require folks to just buy a whole new detector. People seem to complain less about that.

- Carl

CyberSage
04-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Hello Carl,

I would think you would have a little bit more to say about the issues at hand. What's up with the Dongle? Why the change in policy at Whites? Do you really think a ROM revision is equal to a new detector? There is no other industry with a ROM based product that charges such a high fee for a ROM revision of the exact same equipment. How about at least an honest answer on why the D2 coil is such a problematic coil. Your competitors should be your last concern. You should be worried about your customers. I am a die hard Whites man. What happened here?

Jack

BHNugget
04-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Jack,I may be mistaken and Im sorry if I am,but I dont think your responding to the Carl of Whites detectors.I happen to know Carl is out of the office for the week and doubt if he would be posting on this forum.I think you may have a poser playing on here. :yes:

Carl
04-14-2010, 10:50 PM
No, I'm the right Carl... yes, I'm on the road and my response time is limited.

No, I don't think a software upgrade is equal to a new detector, which is why we decided to part with our competitors and not require customers to buy a new detector in order to get the upgrade. Shoot, I thought people would be thrilled to be able to upgrade for $100... maybe I was wrong. It's hard to tell whether we have a handful of vocal forum critics or a widespread backlash, so we'll see how things play out and set future strategy accordingly.

On the D2 (and other V-rated loops as well) we essentially have epoxy issues. One of the purposes of my current travels is to look at new equipment to fix this problem.

- Carl

BHNugget
04-14-2010, 11:00 PM
The upgrade has some nice features,but you wont see my V till the end of fall. :yes: Good luck with the trip, the D2 is a hell of a coil when it works like it should.I'd hate to see it go by the wayside.

CyberSage
04-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Thank you Carl for responding. I would like to invite you to share information on the V3 here at your convenience. Accurate information from the right folks is the best answer to the speculative post found on the various forums around the Internet. There is a need for informative input from Whites concerning these issues.

Jack

coinnut
04-15-2010, 06:53 AM
I too have been a White's man since 1972 until recently. Manufacturing issues have forced me to move to another brand. I have a 6x10 DD coil that I loved, sitting on a shelf. I used it 6 or 7 times in the woods and it just plain died. I payed a lot for that coil and now it's unrepairable. All we want is all manufactures to make a product that is reliable and works when we get it. Costs and other factors are really second. If the machines had just worked from the beginning, this 100 dollar upgrade would have been received well. I personally think it is worth it and has some features I like. I could do with out the babies instructions and multi languages. If it's sold in America, learn the language and for God's sake, read your manual. People are way too lazy. That is just a waste of computer memory. I hope all manufacturers are listening. Company profit is important for the company to exist. But customer happiness and loyalty, are the ultimate survival tools. Just my rant on it. :yes:

rcasio44
04-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Well, based on all the complaints about the upgrade, I think in the future White's will follow their competitors and require folks to just buy a whole new detector. People seem to complain less about that.

- Carl

John this is what I was referring to in our PM. The upgrade was a take it or not option. I was hoping in the future upgrades :( :( wouldn't require a new detector. :angry: Whites hadn't even released the V3i but a couple of I got one already and I'm the first to have the upgrade had to post on another forum. The sad part is Whites gave these guys the upgrade and could have just repaired their V's as V3's.

Now there is a post saying the upgrade require parts and one that says it doesn't. We know they both can't be right. One of the pain in the asses is even using my avatar he stole.

I was lucky to help with this upgrade and thought guys would be happy except for the language thing. It's just my opinion that it is cheaper to make one upgrade not 2 one with and one without the language. Also the memory was there and Carl inferred there would be no further upgrades for the unit so no more memory would be needed. Also like package deals on cars you don't get a car cheaper without the air they just put it in all cars.

Remember I don't speak for Whites and I don't represent them. I just thought the upgrades all worked well. Just my option. Rob

RickO
04-15-2010, 04:03 PM
I am most disappointed in this development. I have two Garmin GPS units, and I can get upgrades online, free. This upgrade to the V3 must have been in development for quite some time. This is why I fail to understand the arbitrary date of Nov. 2009 for a free upgrade. I purchased mine in August 2009. So for three months, it costs me an extra $125 bucks. I don't think so. This is the first time White's has ever disappointed me. RickO

CyberSage
04-15-2010, 07:55 PM
I can understand the cost of shipping, but this is just a Rom upgrade. I jumped on the machine when it was known as the Vision. When I bought my Vision I didn't get a manual or a DVD. I had to deal with 2 defective D2 coils. I was a guinea pig for Whites. Whites was however very responsive and took care of me. I see the V3 as a next generation detector and understand there are going to be growing pains. Now a $100 - $125 is not much compared to the original sum I laid out. I do wish to support Whites, but they need to take in consideration that the current V3 owners have been nothing more than beta testers and deserve this upgrade. I love the V3.

Jack

Carl
04-15-2010, 08:48 PM
I could do with out the babies instructions and multi languages. If it's sold in America, learn the language and for God's sake, read your manual.

I think most people will find the on-line help system to be quite nice. The languages are for folks in foreign countries.

Carl
04-15-2010, 08:51 PM
I have a 6x10 DD coil that I loved, sitting on a shelf. I used it 6 or 7 times in the woods and it just plain died. I payed a lot for that coil and now it's unrepairable.

Forgot to address this... why don't you just ask for a replacement coil?

magic
04-16-2010, 08:05 AM
I dont want to make anyone mad, especially my friends on here.
But in my opinion, I think Whites is being fair and trying to do what is best for the customer and their business. Was they timing of the release bad? Maybe. Is it fair to charge for this upgrade? I would say yes because the alternative would be to buy a new detector. I know for me personally, Whites has given me free stuff and not charged me before when they should have or has taken their time to give me advice over the phone.
I dont know of any other company to do this. Remember, this is just my take on this, please respect it as I respect your opinions.
I for one will be getting the upgrade when the season is over. Right now my V3 is doing great without it and Its just a cherry on an already GREAT machine!
Hey Carl, I will be glad to be a tester for you anytime!

coinnut
04-16-2010, 08:09 AM
Forgot to address this... why don't you just ask for a replacement coil?

It's past it's warranty period. I only used the coil from time to time and then tried another coil. I guess my point was that White's has always been a solid company with indestructable products. That Coinmaster V Supreme lived forever lol It's only been lately that the quality has slipped. Maybe it's because some parts are not made in house? Either way it was past the warranty, so I just shelved the coil. Really didn't want to go through the process of asking for another one.

coinnut
04-16-2010, 08:16 AM
I dont want to make anyone mad, especially my friends on here.

Remember, this is just my take on this, please respect it as I respect your opinions.

Hey Magic, This is why we have a forum. I know that it sounds like we are nailing White's here, but it is our dissapointments that are showing through. White's has always been a great company, but some people feel slighted. Your opinions are always welcomed here, as this is how we and manufactures learn. They give us their side and we give them ours. Everyone should post what they feel. Criticism is acceptable, as is praise. Outright nasty, no content bashing is not. So everyone feel free to chime in on this and any issue. :)

jer4004
04-16-2010, 09:48 AM
I have to pay for my V3i update and I will gladly do so. If whites would of announced the release of the V3se or the V3 pro like other companies did so soon after the release of the V3 with no upgrade option I would no longer be a whites customer. Can't wait to get my update.

Thanks for the V3i upgrade Carl

Jeremy a happy whites customer.

Fishnmaine
04-16-2010, 10:14 AM
The dongle and it's capabilities was all customer speculation. The factory NEVER said this was going to be a future upgrade. Yes, Carl at the factory had been working on it but there were some issues that came up that hindered this project. People get a hold of a small piece of information that isn't completely accurate, yet they run with it and before you know it the forum has blown up with speculation after speculation. Then when it doesn't happen, even though it was never set in stone, people get upset.

Just like the announcement of the V3 last year. It was announced almost a month and half early because some people just couldn't keep quiet - so they released it - and the owners manual wasn't even complete yet - and looked what happened - so many people were upset the owners manual wasn't complete.

There seems to be this &quot:beerbuddy:ragging and Me first mentality where people just have to be the first one to tell everyone. Just like this upgrade - it was an advance announcement that was for the dealers - not the public. And I guess they just feel they have to be the first to announce it - even before the factory has a chance to.

Now, I don't know if the dongle has been completely removed from the drawing board but you have to remember this is a unit with an upgradable platform. - And I guarantee some will take this statement as fact that there will be a dongle in the future and run with it. With the possibilities of this unit, you just never know.

RickO
04-16-2010, 11:46 AM
At some point, I will likely upgrade. I really like White's products and their customer service is first class. I would say, IMHO, it is just bad timing.... since the V3 was just released last year, and many of us purchased one soon after, to see a significant upgrade released in less than a year from purchase is upsetting. If this were two years down the road, perhaps it would not have upset people. Anyway, I will stick with White's for my MD's and gear. RickO

ramases
04-16-2010, 12:34 PM
At some point, I will likely upgrade. I really like White's products and their customer service is first class. I would say, IMHO, it is just bad timing.... since the V3 was just released last year, and many of us purchased one soon after, to see a significant upgrade released in less than a year from purchase is upsetting. If this were two years down the road, perhaps it would not have upset people. Anyway, I will stick with White's for my MD's and gear. RickO

To be honest - this has been the crux of my beef too. Two years down the line I wouldn't have given the price of the upgrade a second thought, but it is just nine months in my case !!! Having given it some thought and talking to the UK factory about it, I have changed my mind and I do now hope that Whites continue to develop the V3(i) and that upgrades are made available like this one has been - just not too often!!!! thumbsup01

CyberSage
04-16-2010, 03:00 PM
The dongle and it's capabilities was all customer speculation. The factory NEVER said this was going to be a future upgrade. that there will be a dongle in the future and run with it. With the possibilities of this unit, you just never know.

Yes, I was told it would be an upgrade. I was told directly by a Whites Engineer. The statement was made that there were dongles being tested in the field and Software for the PC being written. That's just a little more than speculation wouldn't you say? The Dongles exist and were intended for use with the V3, I am guessing they they just don't work well. This last part is in fact speculation on my part.

Dave
04-16-2010, 10:35 PM
No, I'm the right Carl... yes, I'm on the road and my response time is limited.

On the D2 (and other V-rated loops as well) we essentially have epoxy issues. One of the purposes of my current travels is to look at new equipment to fix this problem.

- Carl

Is this an issue of sepration at the seams allowing water and debris to get inside?
What coils would you recommend?

xzlr8n
04-16-2010, 10:42 PM
All I want from Whites is a machine that has no guessing to its performance. Right now, I don't feel that everytime I turn on my V3 that I'm getting maximum performance. There is that pestering question in my head - should I dig it all with my V3 and have the same luck as I would of have had with a cheaper machine. I'm always wondering what the splatterings are, what all the false signals are, jumpy VDI readings, pinpoint and motion mode not jiving, iffy targets being iffy or phantom, is RX gain too high/low??, is Disc Sens too high/low?? Sometimes the machine runs too quiet, no signals which bothers me a bit. The one true downside I have with the V3 is I'm wondering if I'm being bombarded with too much misc info on the ground and poor targets, is there a good target mixed in there?? This is especially true with the D2 coil which has me scratching my head often?? Till I get a better feel for this machine and its ability to find deep elusive and questionable good signals I will always be wondering if I should have just stuck with my DFX (sold to buy V3) or MXT (which I still own), as I have yet to find one keeper deeper than 6 inches with the V3. All this being said, I have found some great stuff with my V3 and I'm generally happy with it (rememeber you still have to get the coil over a good target to find it!!). Yet, when you pay a big buck for a machine you want to feel pretty certain you've left no good target behind you, lets say up to at least 12 that is rofl rofl. At $1600 that's not too much to ask for is it?? On a positive note, I have found the V3 to give solid signals for solid good targets, no if's, and's, or but's about it (VDI #'s might be off from what I might have suspected for the target but still it was a good target), should I ignore everything else without question :confused: :confused: ?? How again does Angel find all that silver in and amongst the trash - he doesn't use a V3...

If reports come out the upgrades smooth out and improve the performance of the V3, I'll be the first to ship come fall. I also hope Carl and company can figure out the epoxy problem with the coils and that White's deals with defective coils appropriately!!! The coils just might be the only big problem with the V3's and their erratic behavior.

Epi-hunter
04-16-2010, 11:26 PM
It was announced almost a month and half early because some people just couldn't keep quiet - so they released it -

Sorry... but I think you are implying that White's only released the user's manual early because of public demand. A big business like White's will know better than to release an inaccurate user's manual. Even if some people just couldn't keep quiet. The company made the decision, and be sure that they know what they are doing. One way or another.

Epi-hunter
04-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Is it fair to charge for this upgrade? I would say yes because the alternative would be to buy a new detector.

Not true, IMO. We are talking about a software upgrade, correct? Not a model upgrade (e.g. hardware) that would require a new detector.

BHNugget
04-17-2010, 08:17 AM
How again does Angel find all that silver in and amongst the trash - he doesn't use a V3...

I dont think Angel detects at all.I think he invented a silver magnet and uses it instead of a coil to pull deep silver out of the ground. lol lol lol
Seriously,I think machine familiarazation and operator interpretation are the major factors of pulling good deep targets,no matter what detector is used.You'll never convince me that all the silver Angel digs gives clear cut signals.He's learned to interpret what his machine is telling him.

CyberSage
04-17-2010, 11:39 AM
I have worked in the computer industry since 1984. Over all these years in dealing with revision based hardware and more so starting in the early 90's I have flashed BIOS and firmware on a regular basis IE, computers, CDROM drives, video cards etc., In recent years mobile technology such as smartphones, PDA's, and GPS units are updated multiple times a year. There has never been charges associated with these updates. The main difference that I see here is that the Vision/Spectra V3/Spectra V3i has no way for the end user or dealer to apply the updates. As a result of this the unit has to be sent in. Was this an oversight on the part of Whites or maybe marketing. Who knows. I would at this point probably like to see a whole new detector released by Whites with improved hardware and connectivity options such as USB or Wireless that actually functions well. Until then the updates should be included in the purchase price. Paying for rom revisions? Whats next? Do we pay an annual activation fee to keep the V3 running when the software times out? All kidding aside I would really like to see some good response from Whites on what exactly happened with the whole USB Dongle fiasco.

Jack

xzlr8n
04-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Seriously,I think machine familiarazation and operator interpretation are the major factors of pulling good deep targets,no matter what detector is used.You'll never convince me that all the silver Angel digs gives clear cut signals.He's learned to interpret what his machine is telling him.

I whole heartedly agree that the V3 is giving us a signal for a good target amongst the trash, I'm just questioning the v3's quality of those signals. I freely admit I need more time and opportunity with the V3 in trashy areas that hold good targets to figure out how to pull them out of the ground consistantly. What is the best machine to que in on that particular whisper/hint of a good signal amongst trash or poor ground?? Obviously Angel has figured it out with the eTrac. Maybe the V3's ability to have multiple headphones tapped in at the same time would allow someone with the uncanny ability to decipher a good signal from amongst trash signals to setup some sort of school. In this way others could tap in on the experience and learn from a pro. Better yet, maybe Jack could come up with an app for the iPhone that we could use on the V3 2.0 that will allow anyone in the world to tap in on any V3 2.0 out there and tag along with an experienced MD'er while they hunt (video would be required of course).

I have worked in the computer industry since 1984. Over all these years in dealing with revision based hardware and more so starting in the early 90's I have flashed BIOS and firmware on a regular basis IE, computers, CDROM drives, video cards etc., In recent years mobile technology such as smartphones, PDA's, and GPS units are updated multiple times a year. There has never been charges associated with these updates. The main difference that I see here is that the Vision/Spectra V3/Spectra V3i has no way for the end user or dealer to apply the updates. As a result of this the unit has to be sent in. Was this an oversight on the part of Whites or maybe marketing. Who knows. I would at this point probably like to see a whole new detector released by Whites with improved hardware and connectivity options such as USB or Wireless that actually functions well. Until then the updates should be included in the purchase price. Paying for rom revisions? Whats next? Do we pay an annual activation fee to keep the V3 running when the software times out? All kidding aside I would really like to see some good response from Whites on what exactly happened with the whole USB Dongle fiasco.

Jack
Jack, would this USB dongle or wireless allow a V3 owner to hook up his/her machine to his/her computer or smart phone and then upgrade automatically from the White's website or licensed vendor?? This would be quick and easy wouldn't it!! Sounds too simple you could even do it in the field!!

Carl
04-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Either way it was past the warranty, so I just shelved the coil. Really didn't want to go through the process of asking for another one.

If you were to return your out-of-warranty coil you might be surprised at what happens.

- Carl

Carl
04-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Over all these years in dealing with revision based hardware and more so starting in the early 90's I have flashed BIOS and firmware on a regular basis IE, computers, CDROM drives, video cards etc., In recent years mobile technology such as smartphones, PDA's, and GPS units are updated multiple times a year. There has never been charges associated with these updates.

You are confusing where the software is located with what the software is doing. Ferinstance, the BIOS ROM in a PC contains a bootloader to get things running, plus initializes hardware to a known state. But it can't run the PC; it doesn't give you useful functionality. That's the job of e.g. Microsoft Windows, plus apps. It so happens that on a PC Windows and apps are stored on the hard drive. However, they could be stored in ROM (and are in some cases). Is Microsoft allowed to charge an upgrade fee for Windows XP, but not for Windows CE? The V3i upgrade is not just an upgrade of a ROM bootloader, it is an upgrade of the entire functional software. Where the software is held (ROM or hard drive) is irrelevant.

- Carl

del
04-18-2010, 12:23 PM
wow :shocked04: i didn't mean to cause so much controversy in the thread i started i just thought it was interesting and news
worthy to post :rolleyes:. the only problem i have with the this whole thing is this . i was planning on getting a vision or v3
, now v3i at one time but i have waited because early ones had a few issues wether from it was released too early or
not , then a new name change and issues with coils . now its another name change with 1 feature taken away and a
few more added and who knows what issues this might bring. seems like every 6 months or so some thing goes on
with this machine and now i'm pretty sure i
don't want to invest my hard earned money in it for fear of other problems or so called upgrade or even another new
name . :rolleyes:

Dan

BHNugget
04-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Del,whatever issues,if any, you encounter with whichever V model you went with,you can be assured Whites will make it right.The upgrade the V3i has,isnt a resolvement of issues,its just some different features from the original V.I have had one issue and can honestly say that Whites has dealt with it and had it resolved faster than any consumer product company Ive ever dealt with.I have had the V3 humming right along.

V3 in the Park 4-13-10 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAtPtqXn0T0#ws)
V3 in the Park Part II 4-13-10 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRPjcPoh7Ls#ws)
First Barber with the V3 4-18-10 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IZmOn83Upg#ws)

coinnut
04-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Maybe we should give this one a rest lol I think everyone has given their side of the story and all sides can learn something from it. I personally would love to only hear new things mentioned and not a re-hash of previous comments, but hey, that's just me rofl I know people are upset, and venting helps, but I don't believe we will get anymore out of the complaints unless they are new ones. My honest opinion is that White's is a good company, meaning well. They learn, just as we learn. I must agree that their service is better than most companies, of any products. The only new thing I would suggest is that they get a good PR person and have all information and comments come from one source. It's hard to keep up with all the different White's people commenting, all over the Internet lol The V3i is here to stay, so let's get back to working it and getting the most from it. I will eventually get one, but not now ;) Who knows Carl, I may even make an effort to call White's and return that dead coil, or I just may scrap it. :-\

randy
04-21-2010, 10:57 AM
I've read elsewhere that they've taken out recommended RX gain and ground probe to make room for the new stuff. Does anyone else know if this is true?

coinnut
04-21-2010, 11:13 AM
I've read elsewhere that they've taken out recommended RX gain and ground probe to make room for the new stuff. Does anyone else know if this is true?

I believe you are correct. Also I believe the wireless transfer is gone too. :confused:

Advent
04-21-2010, 01:56 PM
I've been onto Whites UK last week about this V3i upgrade .
IMHO I think its foolish not to go with it.
My V3 is a year old come June this year still running V1.1 with out any problems.
it will be updated once Whites UK have the equipment up and running.
Question....
This V3i upgrade will the LCD need replacing to accomodate the Polar Plot?

hang7575
04-22-2010, 04:16 AM
They removed The recommended RX gain and wireless transfer but the ground probe is still there, just does not give recommended RX gain

CyberSage
04-22-2010, 07:44 AM
Here is a quote from a Whites engineer from another forum...

Ground phase is still there, just the recommended gain. It wasn't accurate and so we removed it but you can still see the signal information that the detector is getting. Also the program transfer. That's all I remember we removed. Some things got rearranged.

Added:
polar plot
prospect scan
Stereo mixed mode
soil selection
loop selection (only helps on the depth reporting, but not on seeing deeper)
You can set up the various screens independently - if you want one screen to have VDI, icons, etc off to make the graph larger, but the search screen to show VDI, icons etc, you can do that.
languages
quick reference

Removed:
Program transfer
Recommended gain
That's all that's in my tracking list that was removed, and I don't remember doing any more. Can't get to the calibration screen anymore, but you wouldn't want to do that anyway.

And tracking is a little slower.
Audio volume ranges expanded.

Lowjiber
04-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Good information, Jack. Thanks.

I doubt that I'll be sending my V (still with original firmware) to Sweet Home in the near future. Perhaps sometime next winter.

I do like the prospecting scan feature.

CyberSage
04-22-2010, 01:41 PM
I guess I will digress on this issue and send my Vision for the update next Winter. ;)

Jack

M-Taliesin
05-09-2010, 01:36 AM
Howdy Folks!
Sorry I haven't posted over here in awhile, but I've been busier than a worker at the Alka Seltzer factory when a flood hits the plant!

When the V3 came out, I got the very first one that was sold in the state of Colorado.
Then, when I had a problem with it, I sent it back to Sweet Home just as word was
beginning to leak out about the V3i upgrade. Since mine was already there, I spoke
with a tech and he said they were not yet doing the upgrade, but rather than have
my machine come back to me only to turn it around a week later and send it back, he'd
go ahead and give me the upgrade while my machine was already there.

Ergo, I got the very first V3i released to a customer anywhere in the world. Yes, there
were V3i units out there in the hands of testers, program developers and so forth, but
I was the first civilian on this planet to get the upgrade.

My experience is that it is like having an entirely new machine. They could easily have
released a new V3i machine, and you would have to buy an entire machine, but White's
decided they could upgrade the V3 for a low cost that shouldn't be too troublesome to
most V3 owners. And in doing so, much more cheaply than buying the next machine in
the White's line.

Now for the observations I'll share on the V3i.

It is quieter and much more stable than the v3 was. Since the upgrade wipes out any
custom programs you may have installed, you'll need to restore them, assuming you
kept a record of what custom programs you had and what settings were for them.

Not only is it quieter, it is rock solid stable. I have yet to experience any interference
from any other machine of any other make. At a competition hunt in Sapulpa Oklahoma,
it was stone quiet until finding a target. Plenty of other machines around, including other
models of White's, but nothing bothered my V3i. It should be noted, however, there were
no other V3 machines there.

I have Polar Plot Analyze screen instead of the three hump mode that we have become
familiar with. I prefer it, but others will prefer the original analyze screen. It will be a matter
of taste for individual users what they decide to use.

I've also hunted in Stereo Mixed mode and like it. You get your regular discrimination channel
in one ear, with the all metal channel in the other. I believe this is unique in the industry. When
those two channels both sound off together, you have a target that merits visual examination.
If you get a target in the discrimination channel, you really can expect a good target to come up!

The one thing that stuck me for awhile is that the machine comes back upgraded with the VCO
turned off. This made pinpointing difficult until I figured out what was happening. Once you turn
VCO back on, pinpointing is far more pleasant and accurate.

I'm toying with the notion of going up to Fort Collins on Monday to try the parks up that way, and see how it works out up there. I'm also thinking to try Jack's programs because others out there aren't very well suited for our mineralized soil here on the front range of the Colorado Rocky Mountains!

Anyhow, if anybody has any particular questions about the upgrade, I'd be happy to answer to the best of my ability.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin