PDA

View Full Version : Another mild January day - I barely avoided the dreaded SDHOS!

Tony Two-Cent
01-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Yesterday (Saturday) was another mild day weather-wise here in central Illinois. We had a high of 50 degrees but it was windy. The ground was still frozen in some places but with a little effort you could get through the frozen crust to the soft soil below.

I tried a new site, an old park in a town I had never hunted in before. I didn't exactly set the world on fire with my finds, in fact I barely avoided the dreaded Silverless Drive Home Of Shame. Once again I was saved by a lone Merc.

Here are my finds:

And the keepers:

Twins? 1920-D wheaties that are in similar condition:

This tiny play coin made my heart skip a beat at first. I was thinking half dime or trime. Alas, it's only a Henny Penny. :rolleyes:

Part of a pocket watch and a watch winder. Man, I find these things like clockwork! 8/ lol

That's it! Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

Full Metal Digger
01-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Okay Tony, now that I've seen your post I need to get down to the coin store so I can post my finds too! lol

Congrats on another fun hunt at a new location. I pretty much got skunked yesterday. I had to drive home in shame but I wore a paper bag over my head so no one would recognize me. Next time I will add eye holes too.

You do seem to find lots of watch winders! Best wishes and HH, Dave.

POKIE73
01-20-2013, 10:47 AM
congrats on your finds i am happy to see some of you making finds i hope to join in on the fun soon dennis :detecting: :detecting:

aloldstuff
01-20-2013, 02:14 PM
WTG Tony, saving yourself from that SDHOS, wish I could say the same. Not a bad hunt for January. :congrats: on the silver and I see a nice pair of twin 20d's in the wheats. This week coming up we are expecting the big freeze, couple of nights 0 and then -1 degree. Pretty much sure that will freeze the groung pretty good.

Fire Fighter 43
01-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Congrats on the saving silver Tony, WTG |:cheering:

dalewestaby
01-20-2013, 03:55 PM
Wow, ive yet to find a play coin, very nice. And nice watch piece!

CTDirtFisher
01-22-2013, 11:09 AM
Tony, I saw the SDHOS in the title and was :thinkingabout:

Then you in you body was the acronym spelled out - Silverless Drive Home Of Shame... I love it... Can there also be: CDHOS for Colonial hunts :grin:

Nice digs by the way :happy:

Paul

Sal66
01-22-2013, 12:16 PM
:wow:NICE GOING BUDDY! I'm glad my- I mean your lucky 2center is still helping you to produce some good finds. Sorry to say though that the weather is probably gonna change all that- no?

Snapolson
01-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Your coins cleaned up nice! Mine were toast! lol

RobW
01-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Even if you didn't score a silver...for your first time there it was still a decent January hunt! :clapping:

PL8MAN
01-22-2013, 06:59 PM
Sweet finds thumbsup01

396nova
01-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Nice find for sure. thumbsup01 I have only had one ride home that was not a SDHOS, I have gotten used to it! :shocked04:verreaction:

Bell-Two
01-26-2013, 10:36 AM
So you find these things like clockwork Tony....man you got too much time on your hands :teasing: Nice hunt those wheaties cleaned up nice! Alas I too often do the SDHOS...my friend. Good hunt looks like we won't be able to get out for awhile here.

leslie(nova scotia)
01-26-2013, 01:54 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....great that you can get out and silver too boot. Fur lined long john season here me son! <;)

tanacat
01-26-2013, 09:58 PM
Congrats on the silver Tony |:cheering: Nice you got out (last week- I'm a little late on this one :cheesysmile: )

It's been pretty cold here in Ky :frozen: I know it's been worse for you since you got out that day :yes: I did get out to arrowhead hunt I think it was the same 50 degree, windy day that you got out |:cheering: I found a nice point and a flat button.

Hope you are successful at your next hunt at your new site!

CODY
01-29-2013, 12:43 PM
Congrats on some cool finds Tony.

starman2
01-29-2013, 01:58 PM
:perfect10:! Congrats on the lone Merc! Looks like a good place to go back to when the ground is more agreeable. At least you can get thru the permafrost. Here in Mi. We've been froze up since December. That And snow. :(

jkress
01-29-2013, 11:43 PM
Great bunch of digging Tony. :happydance01: Certainly a pocket full of keepers. :peace:

Just getting out in January is the keeper here in the midwest. :frozen: Congrats on the hunt saving Merc. <:

Can there also be: CDHOS for Colonial hunts :grin:

I vote no. :blush: As I would always be, and have been, driving home with this title. :cheesysmile: