PDA

View Full Version : My first George Washington Inaugural !!!

Thiltzy
01-20-2013, 12:00 PM
We knew that Saturday was going to be a good day to do some cellar hole hunting as temps were forcasted to be in the 40's. Dave and I had mapped out 4 possible cellar hole sites Friday night and we started :detecting: at the first site as soon as the sun came up.

Dave made the first notable find of the morning with a nice 1787 Fugio that was near the lip of the hole. A nice find indeed, I was happy for Dave yet envious considering I have yet to find a Fugio coin in my short detecting career. :envious: The Fugio find was a great sign and helped to raise our expectations of what other goodies we might find here.

A few relics and buttons later was when I got a solid repeatable target that rang up in the 60's on my VDI readings with my MXT Pro. Some of the cloak buttons were reading in this range so I was expecting to pull out another one. The target was only a 1/2 inch down and when I pulled it out, the back side was facing me. The shank was there but it was bent over flat but when I turned the button over to look at the obverse side I knew I had found something different.
I had a feeling I had something special but I wasn't 100% sure then Dave said ,with out hesitation, yup... holy cow it's a GW I couldn't believe I was holding a George Washington Inaugural in my hand as I never thought I would find one :happy:
Now what to do with it? I am afraid to clean the dirt off of it :thinkingabout:

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-20-2013, 12:03 PM
way to go buddy! |:cheering: that should clean up nicely! try the back like i suggested.maybe Dan will chime in & offer his expertise as well.BIG CONGRATS! and welcome to the GW CLUB! ::usaflag::

del
01-20-2013, 12:14 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:[size=36pt]WOOOOO HOOOOOOO :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

[size=24pt]Congrats and welcome to the GW club Todd

i'm very stoked for you buddy :happy:
i agree wth Dave its a very nice one and pretty deeply stuck so you should get a lot of detail from it and maybe some gilt might be hiding in the recesses. again huge congrats :perfect10: :perfect10:

foundation hunter
01-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Awsome find,i still havent found one all the years i have been doing it,im glad you found it, Dave dosent need any more.You should feel prettie good right now digging up a serious piece opf history
Gary

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-20-2013, 01:52 PM
Todd,yours should look like this or close to it.i used the toothbrush and water on mine.i'm pretty sure yours may be close to the same condition when done

aloldstuff
01-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Todd,

:omg: :congrats: now I see what Dave was talking about in his post. He really had me wondering just what you had found. That GW is a great find, huge find. I am at a loss of words, :perfect10: |:cheering:. That is something most every detectorist dreams of finding.

Fire Fighter 43
01-20-2013, 02:54 PM
:wow: That is a great find, congrats on a first, WTG |:cheering:

Thiltzy
01-20-2013, 10:00 PM
Thanks everyone. I was truly in shock when I pulled the GW. I guess it was my lucky day so keep swinging you just never know.

Ill Digger
01-21-2013, 12:43 AM
:wow: Dave was right! :yes: You did have a sweet hunt! :perfect10:
The GW button is a dream find! :daydream: Specially for us in the mid-west :envious:
Congrats Todd! :grin:

chief5709
01-21-2013, 06:19 AM
Congrats!!! :beerbuddy:

Sal66
01-21-2013, 10:14 AM
WoW ! You Guys Find some sweet spots. I would stick to what HEAVYMETALNUT said to do. Start on the back with the toothbrush and maybe a little dish soap . As far as the shank goes, I don't think it matters if it's straight or not as long as it's still there. I wouldn't mess with it.
Wow there are so many in the Cobb's collection. They all look similar with the number 17 and a letter and then there's 18's. Which one is this one. I know they are worth a lot that's about all. Anyone figure it out? Why do the say there are so few of each one but you see people finding or selling more than is claimed to be minted?
Anyways, Congrat's guys, love to learn more about it and the whole thing surrounding these buttons. I'm sure other's would also.
Sal

Tony Two-Cent
01-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Only one thing to say:

|:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:)

Thiltzy
01-21-2013, 06:24 PM
WoW ! You Guys Find some sweet spots. I would stick to what HEAVYMETALNUT said to do. Start on the back with the toothbrush and maybe a little dish soap . As far as the shank goes, I don't think it matters if it's straight or not as long as it's still there. I wouldn't mess with it.
Wow there are so many in the Cobb's collection. They all look similar with the number 17 and a letter and then there's 18's. Which one is this one. I know they are worth a lot that's about all. Anyone figure it out? Why do the say there are so few of each one but you see people finding or selling more than is claimed to be minted?
Anyways, Congrat's guys, love to learn more about it and the whole thing surrounding these buttons. I'm sure other's would also.
Sal
Thanks Sal, I counted 63 denticles on the perimeter of my button. So mine is a 63 Variety but other than the denticles I am not sure what else is looked at to determine variety

del
01-21-2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks Sal, I counted 63 denticles on the perimeter of my button. So mine is a 63 Variety but other than the denticles I am not sure what else is looked at to determine variety

the outside rim denticles number ( in this case 63) narrow the button down from 13 possible type cannidates down to three.

the 17-g.
the 17-i. and
the 17-j.

can you tell which is Todd's button??

Thiltzy
01-21-2013, 07:34 PM
I would say that mine is 17j as you can see that the left wing on mine crosses the border and tail feathers are touching the border. Here is a better pic of mine in daylight

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-21-2013, 11:13 PM
I would say that mine is 17j as you can see that the left wing on mine crosses the border and tail feathers are touching the border. Here is a better pic of mine in daylight

i agree Todd! wonder what mine is? anyone feel like counting? the detail on yours is amazing & held up so well.i think its in better shape than mine

RobW
01-22-2013, 04:37 PM
:shocked03:...WOW..freakin' wicked awsome..... |:confused:) |:confused:)

Congrats on a find of a lifetime :clapping:

kpmoose
04-03-2013, 08:19 PM
...and 2 1/2 months later you get your 2nd GW Inaugural. Nice job on 2 finds of a lifetime. :beerbuddy: