PDA

View Full Version : A nice little HOT spot! (Pic Heavy)

Snapolson
01-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Hi all! Hope everyone is having a great new year so far. I haven't got out much since the start of the new year, but the few times I did have been productive.

I found my first silver of the year a couple of weeks ago. Just didn't get around to post it. No biggie. It is a 1940 Merc. On Sunday I got out and it was pretty nice weather for January I must say.

So, I was bopping around for a long while not making too much headway. I found a clad dime, and some old junk jewelry. I made my way down to a trail along a waterway and that's when things got interesting. I had a killer solid signal on my F2. Ringing up clad quarter. But after digging the hole a brown disc pops out. I said, That ain't no clad quarter! Sure enough, I could tell I have a largie here. It was about 3 inches deep. A foot away I get the same signal saying it's on the surface. I brush away the leaves and I'm like, No way! It looks like another largie sticking out of the ground! :omg: It must have been deeper at some point, but erosion must have exposed it. My best guess is that they are two Draped Bust LC's. They are too toasted to get dates off of. I can make out a zero on one and I can barely make out the nose on the right facing bust.

The rest of the coins were all an inch deep or so. In all I cleaned out the 2 largies, 5 Indian Head pennies, 1 wheat and 1 shield nickel, all within a 20 foot area. (Plus a musket ball!) I also found two more wheats and two memorials in another spot, giving me TWO penny trifectas!! :happy: No silver, but hey, I'm not complaining. lol

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!! :groovy:

Fire Fighter 43
01-22-2013, 12:26 PM
:wow: You have to love it when the oldies make there own way to the surface. Congrats on a nice hunt. |:cheering:

dalewestaby
01-22-2013, 03:32 PM
man o man! thats a good day! :shocked04:stretcher:

CTDirtFisher
01-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Nice site you have there sir :happy:

RobW
01-22-2013, 04:30 PM
:clapping:..now that's a good hunt! :envious:

Thiltzy
01-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Great hunt! I would check out some old maps and what was there :yes:

dperrott
01-22-2013, 07:48 PM
nice finds. I am still lookin for my first large. Been on many a hunt with others finding them but no luck. Congrats on the day!

396nova
01-23-2013, 01:35 PM
Great job on the old coins. Seeing finds like that really make a person want to get out MDing, but I must wait. :frozen: Keep up the good work.

jkress
01-29-2013, 11:35 PM
Way to go Snap!! :clapping: The hot spot looks great for oldies. :smitten:
Glad to see you are getting out there finding some keepers. Congrats.

Ill Digger
01-30-2013, 01:10 AM
::huh:: Hot spot? :yes: Indeed!! <:
Smokin' hot, hot spot!! :peace:
It's hunts like these that make the bad ones hurt so much! :crying02: lol
Sweet finds Christian!! |:cheering:
Congrats!! :grin:

aloldstuff
01-30-2013, 07:50 AM
Ya can't go wrong when a LC is sticking out of the ground for you. Thats some nice hunting and a great spot, hope you're going back. Excellent way to start the year. :perfect10:

Evan
01-30-2013, 07:34 PM
I love them old coppers!!! Congrats man!!!

HH,

-Evan

CODY
01-31-2013, 05:24 PM
WOW! Nice finds! :congrats:

Rob L
02-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Great finds! Those large cents are nice even in that condition. I'll take them any way I can get them. There toasted but, I think if you took a choreboy, or some steel wool to them they would come out a lot better looking. Congrats.