PDA

View Full Version : nickels vs how hard a site has been hunted

michmark
01-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Has any one else noticed the number of nickels you find vs pennys and other coins, goes way up in heavily hunted places i kind of use it as a gage on how hard a site has been hunted in the past. seems most people skipped them either accidently or on purpose

del
01-22-2013, 06:22 PM
yup they are closer to the pulltab range and a lot of hunters will ignore them , except the ones just looking for gold. it is a good indicator on how much a site has been cherry picked over. i use a very similar way to tell if the cellar sites i hunt have been hit very hard.

Dan

Otis Campbell
03-25-2014, 06:26 PM
Good observation, I'm finding there are more people medal detecting than I thought!

coinnut
03-25-2014, 08:16 PM
I ignore nickels unless they are 5" or deeper. That is why I don't find much gold. :lol:

MangoAve
03-25-2014, 09:00 PM
Tip from the pros? :lol: But shouldn't it just be about discretion? In other words if it's a park then you would ignore nickels/pull tabs as well if there's a spot you have been seeing trash, but old celler holes it's worth digging them up? Granted, yes George, that concept doesn't discredit finding gold rings or jewelry at parks.

coinnut
03-26-2014, 10:42 AM
Tip from the pros? :lol: But shouldn't it just be about discretion? In other words if it's a park then you would ignore nickels/pull tabs as well if there's a spot you have been seeing trash, but old celler holes it's worth digging them up? Granted, yes George, that concept doesn't discredit finding gold rings or jewelry at parks.

Discretion? Absolutely. For cellar holes it's every non ferrous target gets dug, at least for me it is :lol: So I dig them shotgun shells others leave behind. In a park you can choose how much effort it will take to find the ratio of good targets you want. Health issues limit some people to just cherry pick certain targets also. I choose to not concentrate on finding gold, and that is why I only will dig deep targets that may be Buffalo/V nickels or deep gold. I also do not want to dig every beaver tail in the park or every scrap of aluminum foil, so I miss the small gold as well. It's all in what you want to dig and how hard you want to work at it.

MangoAve
03-26-2014, 11:05 AM
Ok, that explains the cherry picking. I just figured the same as you thought. Places with fewer people means fewer pieces of trash, therefore dig it up. Doesn't mean everyone else thinks the same. Once you start seeing the jager bottle tops, thats the clue not to dig everything.

POKIE73
03-28-2014, 05:58 AM
i remember that a lot of the older machines disc out nickels a lot more than the new ones do that could explain a lot i know with me i used to ignore niclkel signals a lot for that very reason

giant056
03-28-2014, 06:55 AM
Most definitely :grin:

Tom
04-03-2014, 07:47 AM
Ignore nickels? LOL, I probably should but I can't help myself, I dig everything! :drool:

MangoAve
04-03-2014, 09:45 AM
Ignore nickels? LOL, I probably should but I can't help myself, I dig everything! :drool:

I haven't completely stopped digging iron yet, I'm just knowing now when to ignore. The next task is to eliminate aluminum cans. I might need to use my own yard, bury a few coins as well as a soda can to try and get a more precise number for each coin. The technique used in the manual I have not utilized yet.

"The most common example is that of an aluminum can. It will usually ID as a zinc penny or a dime. And, its large size will give a strong signal, tricking the microprocessor into thinking it's a shallow coin. Here's how to tell the difference.
Continue to sweep back and forth as you slowly raise the searchcoil higher and higher. If the response diminishes quickly and never gets very broad, the target is probably a coin. If the response diminishes slowly as you raise the searchcoil, and you get a broad response, the target is probably an aluminum can. If you practice this by laying a coin and an aluminum can on the ground, after you've done it several times you'll know the difference, and you'll probably never have to dig another aluminum can again."

WTF.. someone actually reads the manual? :rofl:

Tom
04-03-2014, 10:11 AM
To say the alum can signal is strong is an understatement, first one I ever dug I thought I was digging a leprechauns pot of gold. :hystericallaugh:

Otis Campbell
04-12-2014, 09:49 AM
Them cans get me a lot too! You think WOW, then you see that whole can and I asked myself, how can a soda can get that deep in the ground? Oy vey!

OxShoeDrew
04-12-2014, 10:55 AM
At cellar holes I dig everything that repeats, and some that don't :) For every nine shot gun shells I'll dig a tombac or something similar. It never turns out to be gold....or nickels :( Many times those lower signals are the only thing left.

freemindstuck
04-12-2014, 01:07 PM
At cellar holes I dig everything that repeats, and some that don't :) For every nine shot gun shells I'll dig a tombac or something similar. It never turns out to be gold....or nickels :( Many times those lower signals are the only thing left.
You keep digging those low signals at those cellar holes and I believe one day you'll dig a gold coin or ring.

BOWSER
04-15-2014, 02:02 PM
WOW i cant believe you guys dont dig nickle signals, every wedding band i have found has been in the nickle range, i buffalo nickles ,v nickles, clad nickles,and hobo nickles. :shocked03:

Full Metal Digger
04-16-2014, 10:22 AM
WOW i cant believe you guys dont dig nickle signals, every wedding band i have found has been in the nickle range, i buffalo nickles ,v nickles, clad nickles,and hobo nickles. :shocked03:

I have to agree bowser, they are in the nickel range numbers-wise but I can also hear a slight difference from a pulltab (maybe 80% of the time) in my headphones. I'm with you, I dig everything that I think is a nickel.

MangoAve
04-16-2014, 11:02 AM

The Noob here hasn't heard the term hobo nickels before..

Full Metal Digger
04-16-2014, 12:11 PM
The Noob here hasn't heard the term hobo nickels before..

A hobo nickel is usually a buffalo nickel that has been carved to look like a different portrait. Just google it and see the images that come up.