PDA

View Full Version : Help Identifying this buckle

BigBiloxi
01-26-2013, 03:30 AM
This was found in the same area as a 1743 2 Reale and an 1806 half dollar. The main circular piece is about the size of a silver dollar and the tongue piece is between a quarter and a half. There is an image of what appears to be a palm tree and under the tree is a curved fish. The piece has an almost chocolate brown patina. Thanks for any help.

Tennessee
01-26-2013, 08:51 AM
Great looking buckle. Sorry, can't help. Possible Rev War period. Interested in learning more. Congratulations, thanks for sharing.

del
01-26-2013, 09:13 AM
hello BigBiloxi ,
very nice two piece tongue buckle , is it a sturdy solid casting or rather on the thin delicate type ??
i have not seen that design before but i have seen a few that arn't to far off .
i do know the early state of Florid militia's had a lone palm tree for their design but i do not know when they adopted it for uniform acroutments. two piece buckles came to being a few years after the War of 1812 ended but your style (interlocking tongue types) were more prominant at around the late 1820's and mid 1830's and made all the way into the early 1900's and not just fro the military i'm afraid. I wish i could give you more information on it as i'm very curious about its origin too. if you find out anymore about it please inform us.

Dan

BigBiloxi
01-26-2013, 03:19 PM
It is a very sturdy thick buckle.

lee
01-26-2013, 03:31 PM
i saw somthing very similar on diggers last night,thay said it was confederate belt buckle , hay , im no expert though.
realy nice find matey.