PDA

View Full Version : 1 hour road trip to some new public parks

JdsCoins
01-30-2013, 10:49 PM
I went on a little trip to try out some new parks. Yippie right? :cheesysmile:

First off I had to travel higher in elevation in the morning, so the fog was really bad. Then, on my main route an accident or something happened, so I had to take a long 20 minute detour. Then, when I got to the city I was headed toward, and almost at my spot, a marked SUV (I think it was with the fire complany) that was right in front of me stopped in the middle of the road and waved me off the main road (another accident or something again), so I wandered around a few back streets I was unfamiliar with. And at the time it was sprinkling rain which was already supposed to be long gone.

Thankfully my spot was just around the corner and I found it from the back roads with my map. Finally! And right when I pulled in the rain stopped, things we're looking up! :happy:

Just the day before almost a foot of snow melted, but I didn't account for the long week of temps as low as the single digits. So I realized on my first hole that after the 1st inch of pure, muddy nastiness, that the rest was frozen. >:{

That wasn't going to stop me! So after only a few minutes I got a 13-45 on the E-Trac about 2 inches down. And boom! Out pops the sterling silver dangle ring with the horse charm unattached and sitting next to it (also sterling) With the hard ground it might have been me that knocked it off with my shovel. :dontknow:

After spending another 45 minutes or so at my first, small location digging clad, I went to my 2nd spot I had lined up (a huge park) After a couple hours FINALLY found an old coin (a 1948 wheat which took me about 5 minutes to dig)

I ended up with $6.61 in clad for 5 hours of hunting, which was awesome considering the ground conditions, I mainly had to aim for coins that were from the surface to 2 inches (except I dug all deeper quarter sounding hits) I just had to skip the 3-4 inch penny/dime signals because they all ended up being clad and took too long to dig. :-\

To make things even worse the night before I only got about an hour of sleep because my tinnitus kept me up. So by about 3 PM I was nearly disoriented and couldn't even talk right. lol

All in all I was just glad to get out, probably broke even considering the gas money.
I put the full video on my youtube channel. I did get some pretty cool footage. :grin:

dalewestaby
01-31-2013, 06:11 AM
nice! I bet those parks have wayyyyyy more to give. The horse pendant is pretty dang sweeeet

aloldstuff
01-31-2013, 06:34 AM
Nice looking ring. an inch of mud then frozen tundra= >{. I'll have to watch your video later. Right now we have temps in the 60's but will decline to the 30's by 5pm today.

JdsCoins
01-31-2013, 12:30 PM
The ring is sweet, but the total weight off all the pieces together is just a hair more than a silver dime.

I need to give the horse a bath. lol

I did a followup video on you tube. I found the jeweler online that makes them. Whoever lost it probably paid about $80 for it. :shocked04:

Talk about a mark up.

CODY
01-31-2013, 05:20 PM
Nice finds. Glad you made it out. Also glad you made it back safe and sound. Congrats on the finds.

skribnodsister
01-31-2013, 05:41 PM
Nice finds. That's a pretty cool looking ring |:cheering: Hope your next trip goes better for you! Congrats on the Silver and Wheat :peace: