PDA

View Full Version : Coils for V3i:huh:

chrishendrickson
02-01-2013, 03:49 AM
Looking to buy coil for my v3i not sure what I shld go with. My mineralization is low but grounds where I hunt pretty trashed out so just looking for good overall coil I guess

CyberSage
02-01-2013, 08:17 AM
Hard to beat the D2 coil it comes with. Great depth, and great separation. I have heard good things about the SEF coils made for the V3/V3i. (The white colored ones).

freemindstuck
02-01-2013, 02:06 PM
I hunt with the v3i and also living in the Midwest have ground with low mineralization. I currently have the 10 stock DD, the 4x6 DD shooter and the 12 concentric. In my area, my concentric is my favorite coil. It is less sensitive to EMI and Iron and just seems to work great in sweet soil. Although my sites are often very trashy as well and I use my 4x6 DD shooter a lot with great results. You do have to slow down, hunt smaller areas and be patient. I picked the 4x6 over the 5.3 eclipse concentric because I had heard that it has better side to side separation and I liked it's smaller profile for hunting in the woods between trees roots and such. But having said that, I like my concentric Super 12 so well that I've been considering purchasing the 5.3 eclipse for some time. So from what you've told us, if you want to stick with a white's coil, I'd recommend either the 4x6 DD eclipse shooter or the 5.3 eclipse concentric.

chrishendrickson
02-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Hmmm and what bout 950 eclipse coil? Heard its pretty good all around as well?

freemindstuck
02-01-2013, 06:14 PM
The 950 eclipse would be a good all around coil. But I'm assuming your detector came with the 10 DD stock coil. The two coils are probably pretty similar in depth and function. The 950 would be more stable around EMI and 10 percent less sensitive to Iron, while the 10 DD will have slightly better separation because of the magnetic field being blade shaped instead of conical. If it were me, I'd sell the 10 DD, if you want to go with the 950, since they are similar. Just make sure the 950 eclipse is V-rated.

chrishendrickson
02-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Hmm good to know. If they r simalar then I may just try to decidre between 6x10 Dd eclipse or 4x6 shooter. Does the 4x6 shootee work on v3i? I'm assuming yes since it was mentioned in earlier reply. Ahhhh the choices. Lil

Mort
04-08-2013, 09:41 AM
:shocked04: :shocked04:verreaction: The coil that comes on the V3i are good for maybe the beach....with no trash... :->

The coils for this machine are as follows: 4x6 and the 6x10.

It makes a huge difference on this machine

Good Luck and good hunting

Mort

Boulder
06-08-2013, 11:26 PM
Looking to buy coil for my v3i not sure what I shld go with. My mineralization is low but grounds where I hunt pretty trashed out so just looking for good overall coil I guess

Detech makes some very nice V Rated coils.

You can get a 10 X 12 SEF or a 15 X12 SEF butterfly coil both under $200 each.

Best of luck with you decision, John.

Lowjiber
06-09-2013, 07:33 AM
I'm a big fan of the little 4x6 coil in trashy areas.

Ever run across trees in an older park whose roots have grown to stick outta the ground? That little shooter can get up-close-and-personal between 'em.

Boulder
06-10-2013, 07:24 PM
I'm a big fan of the little 4x6 coil in trashy areas.

Ever run across trees in an older park whose roots have grown to stick outta the ground? That little shooter can get up-close-and-personal between 'em.

I have read a lot of good things about the 4X6 coil and 4.5X7 EXcelerator Elliptical coil for the very same reasons you gave.

I guess it's where you want to hunt and for what you want to hunt. I find the stock 950 coil to do well in semi trashy park areas as a sweep search coil, but would be useless around large rooted trees and shrubs as you have said.

Thanks, John.

yazoo
08-13-2013, 06:44 AM
If your minerilzation is low say in the 80's and you are hunting trashy I would use the 5.3 ,the 4X6 is good if you have the patience 2 use it. The detect white color 10x12 is great but in trash you have to move very slow for all of the targets to get separation Then the stock coil is always a good coil for all around use. The small detech 6X8 works well if you get a good one. For depth and all around great use in very trashy good ground it has always been hard 2 beat the 5.3 Hope this helps a bit Yazoo