PDA

View Full Version : Gold Ring from Ghost Town

freemindstuck
02-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Hi,
I found this gold woman's class ring in a section of a ghost town in Missouri that I have permission to hunt. It has been hunted over the years and cherry picked so I have never found much in the way of silver coins there. But I found this beauty about three weeks ago with my v3i using my 4x6 dd shooter coil. It was extremely trashy but hit with a nice 45 VDI. I tested it and it is 10K gold and has 1943 along the edges. Unfortunately the stone didn't make it. I get a kick out of the idea that the lady that lost it would be 87 or 88 years old if she's still alive.

freemindstuck

buck57
02-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Congrat's on a great find. :clapping: It's hard to beat pulling out GOLD from ole mother earth. Where bouts in Mo are you located? We are just outside Columbia. Good hunting to ya, thumbsup01

Tony Two-Cent
02-01-2013, 04:40 PM
What a cool old ring!

dalewestaby
02-01-2013, 04:58 PM
I found a 1948 gold class ring last year also without the stone. It rang up as an indianhead penny signal on my detector. I contacted the towns alumni and they said they lost contact with the guy, if he's even still alive. :beerbuddy:. finders keepers, unless the owners pops up out of the woodwork

PL8MAN
02-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Great gold find thumbsup01

freemindstuck
02-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Where bouts in Mo are you located? We are just outside Columbia.

I was hunting north central Missouri along the I35 corridor. I'll have to hit you up to go hunting if I'm ever down around Columbia.

I found a 1948 gold class ring last year also without the stone. It rang up as an indianhead penny signal on my detector. I contacted the towns alumni and they said they lost contact with the guy, if he's even still alive. :beerbuddy:. finders keepers, unless the owners pops up out of the woodwork

I think a lot of the semi precious stones will just dissolve given enough time. The owner would more likely pop out of a nursing home then the woodwork. lol

Thanks for the replies!

coinhunter
02-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Several years ago I read a thread that highly suggested if you find a ring without stones sift the dirt. They tend to fall out from the pressure, movement of the ground. Makes sense. :congrats:

skribnodsister
02-01-2013, 07:01 PM
What an awesome find! Congrats on the gold ring |:cheering:

aloldstuff
02-02-2013, 07:41 AM
Great find, I am still waiting for my 1st gold class ring. Isn't it great to see gold in the hole? :congrats: on getting that find.

Willems
02-02-2013, 07:54 AM
That's a great ring dude. thumbsup01
Always good to find gold.

CODY
02-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Sweet ring. Congrats!

del
02-02-2013, 06:56 PM
:wow: congrats freemindstuck on the ring and having the patience to find it in the trash (not an easy thing to do for most) , the older class rings really have a lot of character and most of the stones were very hard an would of held up pretty well over time in the dirt. i suspect either it was lost prior to the ring being lost or in most cases lost after because when the ground freezes the frost heaves can push a stone right out of its setting and usually it loose in the dirt you found the ring in. i've recovered more than a few stones (although while in the wet dirt they look like regular small pebbles or rocks in the soil until you get them home and wash them) just a few inches away or just next to the ring itself.

Dan

King Midas
02-03-2013, 02:20 AM
Great find! :congrats:

docbars
02-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Very nice.

starman2
02-03-2013, 11:36 PM
:perfect10:! Excellent find! :congrats: Very cool looking ring!