PDA

View Full Version : Post Colonial Coin & Sterling Salt Shaker

whydah
02-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Today I braved the very cold day along with the wind....Brrrrrr.... to say the least. I did manage a few goodies for my effort today... I started at a place that wasn't far from the shipwreck that I located a few weeks ago... It was just across the harbor. I started swinging and within just a few minutes I was in the coins... They were all fairly modern, but they were targets so I kept on weeding through them and then a nice tone, I dug down and out popped a silver 999 issue coin with aneagle on it... OK it's starting to look better... Sudenly I wasn't cold anymore.... A few minutes later another siver sounding object but seemed to be very large and deep... Dug down and on the 3rd scoop from the mud I got a sterling salt shaker...WOW on a roll now... I kept going and going... Got a nice couple of musket balls... and then a very low tone... out comes this coin and all I could see was a head facing left...OK in the goody pouch with that one...I was thinking at the time it was a Conn Copper very worn from the salt water...A nice old pad lock and some kind of slipper? or may be its the end cap for a sword? Got chased out from the high tide, but heading back tomorrow... On my way out, as I was still swinging, I noticed another nice bottle in the mud... Put it into my pouch and it turns out to be from around the 20's or 30's? ... Thanks for looking and happy hunting... will post up tomorrow ......

chief5709
02-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Nice finds! If you didn't say you were at a beach I'd say you were at a cellar hole

del
02-01-2013, 07:52 PM
great relics from the surf Whydah :perfect10: :perfect10: love the salt shaker :smitten: my honest opinion about the colonial copper is its a King George II (young head variety 1729 to 1739 below picture of one ) from the bust outline and not a Connecticut state coin. they are very similar and subtle in their characteristics.

Dan

whydah
02-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Definately a King George...but sooooo thin... and it's counter struck on the back... I will post up when I get a chance... Thanks for the input ...

aloldstuff
02-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Great finds from a beach, love that salt shaker. :congrats: on the KG and all your keepers. Funny how silver warms the body...

King Midas
02-03-2013, 02:56 AM
Funny how that works... when I'm finding treasure (any treasure), I don't notice the cold. :)
:congrats: on the cool finds!

Fire Fighter 43
02-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Cool finds congrats on the nice coin |:cheering:

Thiltzy
02-19-2013, 06:37 PM
Really interesting finds, it's too bad that the ocean really does a number on such relics. Keep at it and keep us posted thumbsup01

Tony Two-Cent
02-27-2013, 09:24 AM
Great variety of coins and relics! LOVE the silver salt shaker! |:cheering:

Mudder
02-27-2013, 07:43 PM
:clapping: Just plain sweet. :congrats:

swamp yankee
03-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Today I braved the very cold day along with the wind....Brrrrrr.... to say the least. I did manage a few goodies for my effort today... I started at a place that wasn't far from the shipwreck that I located a few weeks ago... It was just across the harbor. I started swinging and within just a few minutes I was in the coins... They were all fairly modern, but they were targets so I kept on weeding through them and then a nice tone, I dug down and out popped a silver 999 issue coin with aneagle on it... OK it's starting to look better... Sudenly I wasn't cold anymore.... A few minutes later another siver sounding object but seemed to be very large and deep... Dug down and on the 3rd scoop from the mud I got a sterling salt shaker...WOW on a roll now... I kept going and going... Got a nice couple of musket balls... and then a very low tone... out comes this coin and all I could see was a head facing left...OK in the goody pouch with that one...I was thinking at the time it was a Conn Copper very worn from the salt water...A nice old pad lock and some kind of slipper? or may be its the end cap for a sword? Got chased out from the high tide, but heading back tomorrow... On my way out, as I was still swinging, I noticed another nice bottle in the mud... Put it into my pouch and it turns out to be from around the 20's or 30's? ... Thanks for looking and happy hunting... will post up tomorrow ......
Great bunch of stuff,congrats on the lock/shaker/coins! I'd keep hitting that spot steadily especially after a storm/flood tide.We wanna see more please!Thanx and HH.....