PDA

View Full Version : First Hunt Of 2013

starman2
02-03-2013, 10:55 AM
:frozen: Winter has not been kind to us in lower mid southeast Michigan. We've had very cold temps, and snow off and on. :blackeye: Our January thaw succeeded in melting the snow. But did not do much for the ground. Another couple of mild days, a week later. Did finally thaw the ground. Though one of the days, was pretty much rained out. This wednesday finally brought a half baked muddy non rainy morning and mid afternoon. So I made the best of it. First hunt of 2013. I decided to visit my private park. An area that brought me my first Barber dime. Has never really produced anything else, besides clad. I wanted to work that area a little more. From past hunting. I had found that this area was an old dumping ground. As history had proved. I did not get many diggable signals. One signal I dug. Produced this cool old medicine bottle. Luckily I didn't break it. Never found the signal item. Probably some junk deeper down. Heading back towards the gate. Near the entrance drive. I got a nice high signal. Looking down at the ground. I could see something protruding. Turned out to be a bent up 13 gram hunk of Harley Davidson silver ring. My first ring for the year :happy: Anyway. After that find I jumped in the van. And drove back towards home. Something was telling me to keep on going. Passing my driveway. I ended up back at the old farm house. Where I had dug 23 silvers last year. :thinkingabout: There is an area behind the house. That renders the Etrac silent. And that has always bugged me. Decided to turn the sensativity way down. To see if that might work. That did produce a few signals. Working the coil very slowly back and forth. I got a decent dime signal. Dug the plug. But could not find anything. I buried the hole back up. And ran the coil back over it one more time. Got the signal again. Luckily I did this. Because the 1951 Rosie was stuck in this little dirt ball. On the surface. <: First silver coin of the year. Besides these finds. Ended up with $.45 in clad, some pennies, 1 Wheatie, bullet casing, 1 bullet, a 2 fingered junk ring, and a boy scout kerchief holder. But Had A Ball :detecting:!!

nicklehead
02-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Nice finds!
I notice you have both the DFX and the e-trac. I just picked up a nearly new DFX with a couple coils at a price I couldn't refuse as a back up to the e-trac. In your experience , how do they compare and which is your go to machine. I've learned the e-trac pretty well in the last year now I'm starting fresh with the DFX.

aloldstuff
02-03-2013, 01:32 PM
At least you got to hunt in Feb in MI. Nice HD ring and :congrats: on the rosie. Cool looking bottle also. We are difinately frozen in here in MA.

starman2
02-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Nice finds!
I notice you have both the DFX and the e-trac. I just picked up a nearly new DFX with a couple coils at a price I couldn't refuse as a back up to the e-trac. In your experience , how do they compare and which is your go to machine. I've learned the e-trac pretty well in the last year now I'm starting fresh with the DFX.
When I purchased the DFX. I imeadiately started finding silver. In areas I had all ready gone over, with my XLT. I think the DFX is a great machine. But a little noisy. The Etrac quieted things back down, to the point of finding even more silver in the same areas. Being able to pick out the high sounds among the clutter of mixed tones. I like the DFX because of the greater variety of coils you can use with it. Such as the D2 coil. Once I put that coil on it. I pretty much stuck with it. Then I purchased the Etrac. And have been using it ever since. A little pricier then the DFX. But both machines are great! I think the Etrac is a better machine around areas with alot of interferance. But the DFX goes deep too.

skribnodsister
02-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Cool finds! Love the Harley Davidson ring :perfect10: Congrats on the Silver :peace:

CODY
02-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Really nice finds! Silver is always good. The HD ring is very cool. Love the scout kerchief. :smitten: Still looking for my first! Congrats on some great finds! HH

PL8MAN
02-24-2013, 08:33 PM
That one one sweet ring !

Tony Two-Cent
02-24-2013, 08:40 PM
Congrats on the silver and the cool old bottle! We've had a rougher winter here in Illinois too. Last year really spoiled us! I detected all through January and February last winter.

I'm glad you were finally able to get out! |:cheering: