PDA

View Full Version : SUNDAY REDEMPTION HUNT*GORGEOUS SHOE BUCKLE

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-03-2013, 07:23 PM
well after yesterdays hunt :blush: I figured i'd have a better day (couldn't be any worse) <} Todd & myself headed back up to a site we were at last week & wanted to give it another go. quite a few buttons popped out today including a neat designed convex one. many of the buttons came from around the lip of the cellar hole mixed in with iron. then i got a iffy signal near lip.the iron is masking so much but just enough of the good signal squeaked through that i dug and out popped a nice applied silver colonial shoe buckle frame. wierd piece of lead looks like it was hand carved to resemble a arrowhead? was a nice day to get out.temps were nice & digging was much easier than the last couple outings we had.
I wanted to show you how great the brass bristled brush works on buttons.in the pic is a tombac with some stubborn dirt stuck.it takes it right off with some dish soap & water.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-03-2013, 07:24 PM
more pics

Thiltzy
02-03-2013, 08:42 PM
The silver overlay buckle frame is gorgeous :smitten: :smitten: Dave, nice way to redeem yourself. Some of your buttons cleaned up nice and I didn't notice the arrow head looking piece...nice! It was a good hunt today and nice not to see you moping around like you were yesterday :hysterical:

I will post my digs shortly, I just wanted to watch Beyonce shake her body on the half time show :drool:

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-03-2013, 08:46 PM
The silver overlay buckle frame is gorgeous :smitten: :smitten: Dave, nice way to redeem yourself. Some of your buttons cleaned up nice and I didn't notice the arrow head looking piece...nice! It was a good hunt today and nice not to see you moping around like you were yesterday :hysterical:

I will post my digs shortly, I just wanted to watch Beyonce shake her body on the half time show :drool:

thankd Todd. moping? ya didn't see the tears flowing?thank God!

del
02-04-2013, 12:07 AM
Dave thats a SaWeet buckle frame :loveit: , its great to find them heavy silver plated ones :clapping: :clapping: congrats on a very good day buddy :perfect10:

chief5709
02-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Another awesome hunt! Love the buckle frame |:cheering: I went out yesterday and there was 3-5 of frost around the cellar hole... Needless to say we didn't dig much.

Bell-Two
02-04-2013, 08:40 AM
Beautiful buckle and what a nice collection of relics! I would love to find a shoe buckle but the chances here in Ohio seem more remote. How long were shoe buckles in common usage?

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Another awesome hunt! Love the buckle frame |:cheering: I went out yesterday and there was 3-5 of frost around the cellar hole... Needless to say we didn't dig much.

around the lip of hole is always the hardest.the stones let the cold air into the bank.if you fanned out further you may have done better.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Beautiful buckle and what a nice collection of relics! I would love to find a shoe buckle but the chances here in Ohio seem more remote. How long were shoe buckles in common usage?

thanks! well not sure when exactly they started wearing shoe buckles? 1400's? as i think the pilgrims wore them in 1492.i would imagine the fashion fizzled out late 1700's at the turn of the century 1800.

chief5709
02-04-2013, 09:25 AM
around the lip of hole is always the hardest.the stones let the cold air into the bank.if you fanned out further you may have done better.

Thanks for the tip! |:cheering: In this case the soil was frozen everywhere! Saturday's location was easier digging, more tree coverage, more leaves and snow to insulate the soil.

del
02-04-2013, 09:28 AM

Shoe buckles have been here on this continent since before the 1620's and shoe laces began t appear with the Thomas Jefferson Administration era in 1801 at which time the buckles were quickley fallen out of fashion.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-04-2013, 06:48 PM
this is what aanother forum member said about the lead arrowhead.who relic hunts in SC

Hey Dave-that peice is intriguing. I would say that it robably has just a slight more alloy based material in it and that is why it didnt oxidize. That soil could easily have some type of mineral in it that doesnt allow it to turn as well. You can tell that where it was carved it is of same age as base material and was not done recently as all teh patina is uniform.
I think you had some colonial hunter messing around and trying to fashion his own point with some lead.
I think it is an awesome find and no doubt one of a kind!
Russ

aloldstuff
02-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Dave, nice amount of buttons and you are the master with the brass brush. The silvered buckle has some great design on it and the carved lead arrowhead is really cool. Nice hunting but whats up with Thiltzy getting the copper:huh:thinkingabout:

Ill Digger
02-05-2013, 11:25 AM
8/ Man! :envious: Another sweet hunt Dave! |:cheering:
I can't get over how many buttons you guys find! :shocked01:
I too think the lead arrowhead is a super, super cool find! :perfect10:
Nice finds !
Congrats! :grin:

Tony Two-Cent
02-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Very nice shoe buckle, and that tombac button cleaned up real nice!

My favorite has to be the arrowhead though. What an intruiging piece!

Congrats on the redemption, Dave!

Fire Fighter 43
02-18-2013, 10:12 PM
Congrats on a nice shoe buckle and button, WTG |:cheering: