PDA

View Full Version : Beach pick. Garrett or Whites ?

Ba19
02-08-2013, 03:27 AM
So I have narrowed down the choice to these two the Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and the Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II. I ruled out the Tesoro Sand Shark as I was reading a number of CS complaints and really do not want to deal with the chance of having to go through that.

So I will be using this in both fresh and salt water and I will be hunting the wet sand, dry sand and also water wading and scuba on the East Coast. I would appreciate any and all input that those with experience on these machines can offer. I went on Metaldetectorreviews and they both seem pretty close in the overall score. Was looking for some firsthand knowledge. Also if buying on the secondary market anything to look for or be on the lookout on these two models.

Thanks in advance
Bruce

Lowjiber
05-21-2013, 07:12 AM
I lean toward the Surfmaster PI. Mine will send you to China after the back of a tiny gold ear ring.

I'm sure the Garrett is just fine, but you asked for opinions.

BTW: PI machines don't air test worth a darn. Don't judge any PI by an air test.

fsa46
05-22-2013, 06:12 AM
I love my DFPI :smitten: and have found a lot of gold ( many very old ) with it, BUT , it can't be used everywhere . That's why many of us have more than one type of machine.

My DF has paid for itself many times over. GL&HH

Dr. evil
10-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II. A great machine!
I have a Garrett infinium, very pleased with the device!
identifies a small gold earrings! :rolleyes:
complex settings! a lot of time driving device ......
very pleased with the result .... :groovy:

robby4570
12-09-2013, 08:46 AM
Have you made a decision? I would lean towards the Surf PI (I have a Surf PI Pro) if you were ONLY doing salt water but since you are looking at fresh water as well, MAYBE the Garrett as I think it has some sort of discrimination - but don't quote me on that as I don't have one and have never used the Garrett.

Look out for cracks in the case or signs of flooding inside the case, and on the Whites, you want the ORANGE gasket, NOT - I repeat NOT - the black one. But if it has the orange gasket, there was something I read about the placement of the cover clamp/belt bracket. Call Whites and ask them to get the correct info from the best source.

fsa46
12-09-2013, 10:55 AM
I know you asked about the Garrett or White's and I answered in a above post.

However, you may want to consider the Excalibur. I also have one and for what you are looking for it may fit the bill better than either of the machines you are considering.

You can use it in either salt or fresh water ( which a PI machine can be a bear ), AND you also have a machine that is an outstanding ( or at the very least a very respectable ) wet/dry sand machine.