PDA

View Full Version : You CAN teach an old dog...

Skamaniac
02-09-2013, 03:13 AM
The last week of dinking around with my garage sale Bounty Hunter has led me to a conclusion. I am teachable...but barely. First I kept getting bogus readings every step or two. It was maddening until I FINALLY figured out that my new boots do not have composite reinforced toes; they are steel reinforced. Only took me two days to figure that one out. No wait, it gets better. Today I bought a couple of new 9 volt batteries to carry with me because the old ones were dying. I unwrapped them and stuck them in my coat pocket. After about an hour I caught fire. So it seems I should have known not to put unwrapped 9 volts in the same pocket where they can touch. And I'm happy to report no one else was around to see this middle aged guy power stripping and break dancing quite impressively while screaming like a school girl as smoke billowed out of my coat. Although admittedly it would have made an amusing Youtube video.

So there's my tips just in case someone out there is even dopier than me. This is going to be a fun hobby!

del
02-09-2013, 04:00 AM
lol rofl lol :clapping: :clapping: those were great tips |:cheering: i can relate to the steel toed boots incident :embarrassed:

quite a few years ago my daughter was having a sleep over and my living room was filled with sleeping 10year olds all over the couches ,chairs and floor when i awoke to get ready for detecting. well it was still dark and i didn't want to turn on a light and wake everyone up so i reached in the dark for my boots an unknowingly grabed my steel toed boots instead. i quickley put them on and away i went . 40 minutes later i'm swinging away at a site and wondering why the heck is my machine acting very chattery with a lot of falsing going on :confused: :dontknow: . after about my third ghost target it dawned on me ( yes i'm a slow learner 8/ lol lol ) &quot:grin:an your an idot and you don't see very well in the dark either rofl lol lol . these detectors seem a bit heavier when you have to hold them out there another foot or two ;)

thanks for the read , being honest and giving me a laugh Skamaniac

Dan

skribnodsister
02-09-2013, 07:35 AM
That's too funny Skamaniac :hysterical: I never had the steel toed boot thing happen but I did have the batteries together in my fanny pack and reached in to get something and holy shoot I thought I burnt myself! Managed to get them out but they were like a hot potatoes you couldn't hold onto them they were so dang hot-lesson learned with the 9 volt batteries. Thanks for the good laugh and I hope your next hunt goes better for you lol

aloldstuff
02-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Sure do wish you had a video of that. This old dog now knows not to carry 2 nine volt batteries in the same pocket. Glad you okay.

starman2
03-07-2013, 05:20 PM
rofl Thats funny! I caught myself a couple of times. Picking up a hand full of dirt. Swiping the probe across it. Getting a nice high signal. Only to find nothing in my hand. Finally realizing I had on a large silver ring. 8/ Another time I was swinging away. Wondering why I wasn't getting any signals. I realized the coil wire had came loose from the probe control box. It's always somehting! :shocked01:

carl2112
03-11-2013, 02:42 PM
luckly they have 9 volts here at work i cant take them for metal detecting but they come with a little plastic cap over the electrodes so everytime i get the chance i sag one of the covers and put it on a new 9 volt so i can avoid that happening to me. im glad your ok and no 3rd degree burns those could really crap your MD-ing season

Mudder
03-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Now that is funny, I don't care who you are :hysterical:. Good tip, and you saved me from setting fire to my coat.

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-18-2013, 11:08 AM
:detecting: :confused: <} rofl lol :happy: :bananadance:

Lodge Scent
03-20-2013, 05:24 PM
It was maddening until I FINALLY figured out that my new boots do not have composite reinforced toes; they are steel reinforced.

Ha! I once wore my safety shoes knowing that they had a composite plastic toe rather than the steel toe. I was bothered by falsing for the whole hunt. I blamed it on the semi nearby High voltage power lines. Next week I am out in the middle of the woods and still bothered by random squeaks and squeals. Turns out even though my safety shoes had a plastic toe, they still had a steel shank in the sole ! 8/ 8/ 8/

Sal66
03-29-2013, 08:23 AM
:omg: sorry about the mis-hap . You and I would get along well. Just ask Dan. One time I left my hat on the hood of his truck and we drove down the road and saw it fly off in the road. Another time I was wearing a fly net and forgot and spit into it. Funny thing is another guy we were with did the same thing. My third thing was Dan and this other guy forgot about me and I watched as they drove by me down the trail so I had to run yelling at the top of my lungs to stop. After 11 years, I still get lost in the woods and have to yell to who ever I'm with not knowing how far away I wandered away from the trail, especially when everything is grown in and everything looks the same. So now I hang an Orange vest within viewing distance rofl. Even if you wear hiking boots you have to be careful cuz the eye loops are metal.