PDA

View Full Version : Buddy got a GW today!!

Beefcake
02-09-2013, 09:30 PM
My buddy Tim and I went out hunting today at an old one room school house from the mid 1800's. I have been dying to get to use my new CTX and it's been forever since we were able to get out, so we headed out in the snowy woods. There is nothing left of the school, but we located a few bricks and I found a small button, so there were signs of life! Tim was hunting down the hill from me and I hear him say he found a big button... Ok... Then he said it had an eagle on it.... Hmmmm... I walked down to him and he put this button in my hand... OMG... my hand literally started shaking. I asked him &quot:grin:shocked04: you know what you have here:huh: No... I noticed the eagle had that very distinctive chicken look to it... You've got a George Washington!!! He couldn't believe it!

Well, when he got home, he did some research on it and found a site of this guy that is the GW expert that deals with memorabilia of Washington. He called Tim back and told him he knew exactly what it was. It was actually a Patriotic button and was given in conjunction with Washington's buttons. Turns out that he said they are actually a bit more rare than the inaugural buttons because they made less of them. He told him that it's valued between $900 and $1200 in the condition it is in... WOW!

On another note...lol I did manage to get an 1831 Large Cent with my CTX today! First oldie with it.... really liking it so far!

Here's the pics of THE button!

Don11971
02-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Nice pull Tim ....amzing find!!
Beef,
Is the LC in nice shape or is it toast?

starman2
02-09-2013, 11:12 PM
:perfect10:! Now were talkin history. What a great find! And a LC. What a hunt. Got to be more there. :congrats:

del
02-10-2013, 03:00 AM
Hey Brian , where the picture of the copper ?? :congrats: i would love to see the button in better light to see its detail , any chance on seeing the back and the size (mm) .

Dan

aloldstuff
02-10-2013, 06:59 AM
:congrats: to your buddy Tim on savng a piece of history. Looks great. Nice going on scoring the LC.

Beefcake
02-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Here's a pic of the back. The shank wasn't even bent. He was afraid to do any cleaning on it. I don't have it here, so I can't get a measurement. Looking at the example and the one he found, there are some differences I can see... ex. the tips of the bend of the wings are different... I wish I had it (in more ways than one) to give it a good look over...

Beefcake
02-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Here's the video tim took of the find.PATRIOTIC BUTTON (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HFqh4Oa0gYw#)

Ill Digger
02-11-2013, 12:28 AM
Here's the video tim took of the find.
I seen that last night! :yes: You guys had a sweet hunt! |:cheering:
Tim's GW is a killer find! :envious:
You know it's a great hunt when a 1830's LC isn't the find of the day! :perfect10:
Congrats to ya both!! :grin:

CODY
02-14-2013, 04:25 AM
Wow! Nice Find. :congrats:

milco
02-14-2013, 10:20 PM
Super sweet finds!! Congrats to your bud on the GW button, super amazing find!

ChrisinCT
02-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Other than gold I bet that's on the top of every detectorist wish list.

I know its on mine.

Awesome find.

Beefcake
03-04-2013, 11:09 PM
Update... Tim sold the button for $600! Quite a score!

jkress
03-05-2013, 12:23 AM
Wow... what an incredible find Tim recovered. :smitten: The selling price is top notch! :happydance01:

Congrats on your first oldie with the CTX. :clapping: An 1831 would be my oldest coin found ever. :daydream:

del
03-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Update... Tim sold the button for $600! Quite a score!

thats was quick ... i always advocate hanging onto items for a while to properly research and price them accordingly. with that being said it was an unusual variety type and could of been worth 10x thats Brian .

Dan

leslie(nova scotia)
03-05-2013, 06:09 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....first one I've seen. Amazing find! <;)