PDA

View Full Version : User Your metal detector to find wedding ring?

ptiworld
02-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Just curious if you guys have ever had some random person ask you to help find something lost?
I had a lady ask me the other day if I could help her find a wedding ring she dropped in the grass. After about 20 minutes of searching I found it :)

Ytcoinshooter
02-13-2013, 03:05 PM
I've honestly lost track of how many requests to find things have been made of me. rings, keys, hearing aids and more. Two things I try to parley for myself while helping people.
1) permission and / or leads to hunt interesting properties.
2) a thank you note in lieu of $. My club keeps these kind of notes to promote a + image.

Now under the right circumstances I'll take compensation. Like finding property markers an water shut offs...actually working.
Maybe the easiest thing I've been asked to find is a sewer type manhole cover - huge iron. There is satisfaction in seeing a person's face when a return an item they thought they might not see again. Bet you saw that look when you found the ring.

rsarge1
02-13-2013, 03:09 PM
yes I was hunting in a park when this young lady asked me if I could look for her husbands lost wedding band where he was working in the yard, I said sure and gave her my card and told her to give me a call, well they didn't call me for 2 weeks thinking they could find it themselves but finally they gave up and called me, I went over and used her rings for a sound sample and she went into the house and I found the ring within 5 minutes before she could come back out LOL, needless to say she was very happy. it's always a good feeling to see someone happy and re-united with a prized possesion.
sarge

Lowjiber
02-14-2013, 07:16 AM
Like others, I've found a few over the years. The toughest was a titanium ring in the rough terrain of northern California.

ptiworld
02-19-2013, 01:12 PM
Hmm.... Makes we wonder if it would be worth opening a business for finding metal items for people. I haven't seen anything like that yet... at least not in my area.

Perry
02-24-2013, 06:42 PM
My most recient was a pin out of a tree harvester in 10 of snow // fellow said it would be 3 days to get a new one at $1000 per day. He and I walked in about 1/2 mi and I got it in about 15 min.It made his day and mine//

My favorate was about 10 yrs ago when the Gal at the coffee shop said she and her boy friend were in deep trouble cause He had borrowed her dads dump truck to get fill for there new house lot and He lost the KEYS in the pit// They spent 2 hrs that nite looking with no luck//
I said no problem, Ill have them in no time // (keys in a sand pit is about as easy as it can get) I had them in 20 min. and the truck was quietly returned. Perry

Skamaniac
02-25-2013, 10:29 PM
I have been asked twice to locate wedding bands, and found them both.