PDA

View Full Version : 21st Century Treasure Research

danhughes
02-14-2013, 10:40 AM
http://assets.libsyn.com/content/5400566

The other day I got a letter in the mail, handwritten, from a treasure hunter in Nevada.

He was working on a lead, and he needed help finding two old magazines that might contain information that will help him in his search.

As I read his letter, I realized how difficult this man was making it for himself by avoiding the world of computers.

This show tells that story.

Listen to program #117 at http://thetreasurecorner.com.

Tony Two-Cent
02-16-2013, 07:17 AM
I never realized that we used to live so close together, Dan. I lived at 1610 W. Church Street in Champaign from 1998-2007, less than a block away from you.

danhughes
02-17-2013, 11:32 AM
I never realized that we used to live so close together, Dan. I lived at 1610 W. Church Street in Champaign from 1998-2007, less than a block away from you.

Zowie! Two treasure hunters in the same block for almost a decade, and neither of us knew the other existed!

My wife and I are well known on Park, because we walked our dog up and down the street and spoke to everybody we saw, but we didn't venture to Church (or University) because of the traffice (to others: Park Ave is a quiet street between two heavily-used one-way streets).

Did you ever hunt Eisner Park? Did you know that in the early 1900s it had a roller coaster that ran from Church to University? I haven't hit it seriously; found a couple of modern coins the one time I took my detector there. I've seen other people there with detectors.

Congrats on your escape to Monticello - traffic here now is starting to get really congested. Big city traffic in a medium-sized town. Hate it!

---Dan

Tony Two-Cent
02-18-2013, 06:56 AM
Sadly, the period of 1999-2010 was when I took an extended break from metal detecting after my Fisher 1260-X quit working. During that time I concentrated on my other hobby which was collecting vintage comic books.

I never really ever hunted in Champaign except in my own yard on Church Street when I first moved there. I found a 1914-D wheat cent there in the front yard. I also hunted one time in Glenn Park but didn't find much.

That is really interesting about the roller coaster in Eisner Park! I never knew that.

Paul in NJ
02-18-2013, 01:10 PM
He was working on a lead, and he needed help finding two old magazines that might contain information that will help him in his search.

As I read his letter, I realized how difficult this man was making it for himself by avoiding the world of computers.

I take your point, but I guess it would depend on how old those magazines were. They may not be online, like a lot of the maps I scour at the county library.

danhughes
02-28-2013, 03:34 PM
I take your point, but I guess it would depend on how old those magazines were. They may not be online, like a lot of the maps I scour at the county library.

Paul, I didn't mean he could read them online, I meant he could track down copies quickly via eBay or through the publishers themselves (who sell back issues).

Sorry for the confusion!