PDA

View Full Version : My first hunt after moving to Tennessee! 12 Silvers =o

JdsCoins
02-16-2013, 09:45 PM
Hey Everyone. Haven't been posting for a while as I have been SUPER busy. Finally got out for a hunt. :bananadance: Been about 3 weeks since my last one because of the bad weather in PA then having to take care of things down here after moving over 10 hours away.

For a little while I'll only be hunting public parks and tot lots until I get familiar with my area and get some leads. Google satellite has been really good to me for finding public spots off the beaten path. I can't believe I found 12 silver coins in a public spot in one hunt, I've never even come close to that before on public land. :shocked04:

I hunted what appears to be an old ball field that extends pretty far. On the one side there's a row of 40's to 50's style bungalow homes and across the street a home on a corner lot that looks 1910-1925ish. Today It's mostly just an open grassy area, not much left there to call it a park. I found 12 silvers within the first 2 hours or so, then for another nearly 3 hours couldn't find any more. The area Isn't too big, but definitely big enough to go back a couple more times to be thorough.

Other items found include $2.84 in clad (including 5 clad nickels from the 40's and a surface find UNC 2011 Gettysburg quarter) , 20 wheats, an old copper mens ring & a newer token. The foreign coin that has seen better days is a 1911 Belgium 50 centimes. I love finding foreign silver. :)

I'll try to put pics up, for some reason I'm having trouble.

Here's the full youtube video:
Metal Detecting February 16th 2013 - 12 SILVER COINS, 20 WHEATS, A RING, TOKEN & MORE! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W6b4pkV1I8#ws)

JdsCoins
02-16-2013, 09:48 PM
Here they are:

CODY
02-18-2013, 04:33 PM
:wow: Nice finds. :congrats:

dalewestaby
02-18-2013, 06:02 PM
why did you move to tennesse? And hole canole! that town is untouched!!!

JdsCoins
02-18-2013, 06:06 PM
I moved about 10 days ago and just started hunting. I couldn't believe that was the first spot I hunted. Since then I've hunted about 11 more hours at various spots and have pulled 2 silvers. So it has majorly slowed down. But I'm still having a blast. :grin:

Mudder
02-18-2013, 06:10 PM
Now that will get the hunting jucies going. Very nice finds :congrats:

starman2
02-18-2013, 07:34 PM
:congrats: on a first great hunt! Are you using an Etrac? You seem to be killing the dimes. Anyways, nice bunch of silver!! |:cheering:

JdsCoins
02-18-2013, 09:48 PM
Thanks! :)

And yes, I'm using an E-trac.

Tony Two-Cent
02-19-2013, 07:03 AM
That does it, I'm moving to Tennessee too! lol

Wow, what a fantastic hunt, Jon! That's the kind of day we all dream of! Twelve silvers in a couple of hours is amazing!

:wow:

aloldstuff
02-19-2013, 08:16 AM
Great hunt, do ya miss PA? If you post another video like this one I'm with Tony, moving to Tennesse.

RobW
02-19-2013, 01:35 PM
Very nice hunt :clapping:

Originally being from Tn, where did you move?

JdsCoins
02-19-2013, 05:01 PM
I moved to the Chattanooga area.

It seems that little park was untouched by a detector (or at least not a good one). But that's the only spot I've found like it so far. I hunted for 4 hours today at 2 different public spots. Found 7 wheats (all 40's & 50's) and $3.49 in clad.

I hope I can find another spot like that though! :daydream:

JdsCoins
02-19-2013, 05:09 PM
And as for the question about if I miss PA. The answer is no! I'm from Johnstown and I don't like it there. It's cold, cloudy, boring...etc... The hunting was really good last year but it was my first serious year of detecting. So I've all but cleared out my local spots, friend of a friend private permissions...etc...
I wouldn't have wanted to leave if I hadn't cleaned out that apartment complex yet lol
I think I'll post a topic of what I found there since I kept stats. It was one of those spots that that you dream about.
Other than finishing that up I knew this year would have been slow, because most of the time I would have had to travel just to find anywhere decent to detect. So I guess my move just happened to be good timing for my detecting needs too :hysterical:

ssserena
02-19-2013, 05:52 PM
is that a canadian coin there?

Skamaniac
02-19-2013, 09:36 PM
I don't usually get jealous. But I will make an exception this one time! Man, great hunt!

RobW
02-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Thats's odd...I am 2 generations removed from Johnstown, PA, lost a few ancestors in the Johnstown Flood. My Cousin owns a B&amp:beerbuddy: there in Chatanooga. There are some great Civil War spots around you. I am not as familiar with the Chatanooga area as I am with other areas of TN. I would seek out farm fields and get permission for those. Some great relic hunting for sure thumbsup01

skribnodsister
02-20-2013, 05:24 PM
:omg: Awesome finds JdsCoins! Thats alot of Silver :perfect10: :perfect10: :congrats: on all your finds!

JdsCoins
02-20-2013, 10:17 PM
Thanks for posting Rob. That's very interesting! My mom lived right near where the top of the 1977 flood waters reached when she was a kid.

As for Chattanooga, I'm not familiar with the area since I'm not originally from here, so I'm just sticking to public spots for now. I did find an 1863 map and that gave me a good idea or what areas to stick around (I found a 1919 map that was helpful also) for getting permissions, I've always hated knocking. And you usually can't get to ask permission from farmers unless you go use their private driveway, which I know a lot of people frown on and will be mad before you even get out of your vehicle. How do you go about it?

In my hunt after the one posted I actually found my first civil war bullet in a public park! It was a complete fluke in a trashy area. I only dug it because of the 5 depth, which was below all the junk targets.

JdsCoins
02-20-2013, 10:19 PM
skribnodsister, thanks much! I can only dream of another hunt like that any time soon. :daydream: Today I hunted a few hours at some new spots and couldn't even pull a wheat. lol

Ill Digger
02-21-2013, 01:16 AM
:shocked04: Thats a sweet hunt! Specially for a public area! :perfect10:
I'd be going back too if I were you! :yes: :drool:
Congrats on the 12 silver day! :grin:

zrickkid
02-21-2013, 09:10 PM
What was the mintmark on the 1916 Merc? Nice hunt BTW

For Airborne
02-22-2013, 05:09 AM
swimming in gravy :)