PDA

View Full Version : Tony Two-Cent and Ill Digger chisel through the frozen tundra...

Tony Two-Cent
02-18-2013, 09:24 PM
I got a phone call from Ill Digger (Tim) this past Saturday. He just couldn't take it any more, he had to get out for some metal detecting. However, the ground is completely frozen up north where he's at, so he was thinking about heading down here where it isn't quite so cold. We decided to meet somewhat halfway in the middle at a park he had hunted once before with good results.

We met at the park at about 9:00 a.m. on Sunday, it was nice and sunny but the temperatures were still in the teens. There was a frozen crust of about 1 but after you got through that the digging was easy. However, there were some areas of the park that were frozen hard as concrete, but fortuntely these areas were not widespread.

We detected for 8 straight hours with just a couple of short snack breaks. Boy, my body was feeling it after not detecting for a month, but the finds kept us going.

I ended the day with 1 Indian Head, 11 Wheat Cents, 1 Buffalo Nickel, a 1941 Jefferson Nickel, 2 Mercury Dimes, a 1954 Mexican Cinco Centavos, and a pile of clad.

Here are my finds for the day:

And here are the keepers:

1890 Indian Head, 1928 Buffalo, 1919 Merc and 1926-S Merc:

Only one old nickel, the 1928 Buffalo:

The 1926-S is a semi-key date:

This Mexican coin is about the size of a large cent and sounded like big silver on the E-Trac:

It was so cold that even the tokens turned blue! lol

And just in case you think everything I dig is something good, here is my junk for the day:

Tim was still detecting when I left at about 5:15 p.m. He found several keepers as well. We had a very enjoyable hunt, it was definitely good to get out!

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

JdsCoins
02-18-2013, 09:54 PM
Awesome Tony! :grin:

Not sure if you knew, but that 26-S merc is a sem-key and worth about $30+ in that condition. So you detected the right spots!

And I dug the EXACT same Mexican coin (and same date) yesterday. How bizarre is that? Only difference is mine was hit by a lawnmower. :hysterical:

I hunted 2 hours today, got a 42 merc and 7 wheats. Nothing special.
Cheers!
Jon

Ill Digger
02-19-2013, 04:15 AM
Boy, my body was feeling it after not detecting for a month, but the finds kept us going.
lol Mine too! :yes: This morning I felt like some just :poke: :bop: :behave: :hammer: >:tongue: me! :blackeye: lol

But it was very nice to get out and do a little :detecting: It's been over 2 months since I had my detector out! :blush: :shocked04:
And it really showed at first. Hearing the sounds coming from the E-Trac was listening to a foreign language :confused: It used to talk to me!
But after the first hour and first couple of deep wheats it all came back to me! :happy: Like riding a bicycle thumbsup01 lol

Thanks for making it on such short notice Tony!
I'm glad you could make it! And I'm glad you didn't have to take the dreaded Silverless Drive Home of Shame ! lol

I can't wait to do it again! thumbsup01
Congrats on the goodies! :grin:

POKIE73
02-19-2013, 07:17 AM
congrats on your finds from the frozen tundra hopefully soon it will go away looks like you guys did ok congrats on a good hunt dennis

aloldstuff
02-19-2013, 08:13 AM
Thru frozen ground and freezing temps you still got a pile of keepers, WTG. Must have got you excited to see some silver. :congrats: on having the addiction and not seeing a psychatrist.

starman2
02-19-2013, 09:17 AM
:perfect10: What a great bunch of keepers! Especially for the weather being what it is. :congrats: on the semi-key dime. Sounds like you had a ball! But you guys might be sore for awhile. WTG!! P.S. It's amazing how even a short time away from :detecting: How you can really feel the difference!

serega
02-19-2013, 11:52 AM
Cool dige Tony <}

giant056
02-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Excellent bunch of finds you got there Tony :grin:

angellionel
02-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Nice hunt Tony! Braving the less than ideal weather paid off. :yes: Good photos too. thumbsup01

AmxFred
02-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Very nice finds! :congrats:

ssserena
02-19-2013, 05:46 PM
way to go tony two cents,up here in northern Illinois we wont be detecting for a very long time the ground is so freakin solid it might be till the middle of march before the ground thaws.Good murc.I stopped in Bloomington Illinois last summer and got stopped by the cops and they sayed no detecting period in Bloomington,so ide stay away from there,hope you get some more murcs,there is some nice small towns south of Bloomington that allow detecting.I think this cop was just having a bad day,other than grenwich Connecticut ive never heard of a intire city completely banning metal detecting.Well maybe Morton grove too.

Tony Two-Cent
02-19-2013, 05:58 PM
way to go tony two cents,up here in northern Illinois we wont be detecting for a very long time the ground is so freakin solid it might be till the middle of march before the ground thaws.Good murc.I stopped in Bloomington Illinois last summer and got stopped by the cops and they sayed no detecting period in Bloomington,so ide stay away from there,hope you get some more murcs,there is some nice small towns south of Bloomington that allow detecting.I think this cop was just having a bad day,other than grenwich Connecticut ive never heard of a intire city completely banning metal detecting.Well maybe Morton grove too.

Thanks for the heads up about Bloomington. I've never detected there, and now I know not to even think about it.

Decatur doesn't allow detecting in any of their parks either.

buck57
02-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Great hunt thereTony. |:cheering:. You got to tell me your secret on finding them IH. I'm still hunting for my first one. Congrats on a cool hunt. :cool:

Lodge Scent
02-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Nice digs! I am envious you were able to get out and swing the coil.

Full Metal Digger
02-20-2013, 09:15 AM
Congrats Tony on some really good finds! Man, that chick on the Mexican coin sure is a looker! :shocked03: Best wishes and HH for more good finds, Dave.

skribnodsister
02-20-2013, 05:01 PM
Nice finds Tony! :peace: Glad you got to get out and hunt for a while, the ground is still :frozen: up here! :congrats:

CODY
02-20-2013, 08:34 PM
Wow! Great finds. Congrats. Glad to see ya'll were able to get out.

SovereignGT
02-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Very nice! I have found some keepers myself over the last few days. Fortunately I got out during some recent warm breaks. I got to dig some frozen ground too!

milco
02-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Nice finds Tony! Way to go on getting out in the cold!

OxShoeDrew
03-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Congrats Tony on some really good finds! Man, that chick on the Mexican coin sure is a looker! :shocked03: Best wishes and HH for more good finds, Dave.

With dirt still on the coin I bet you thought that chick was King George l l :grin:
The blue Bozo must have given a good signal. Key date? :grin:
Very nice hunt Tony....congrats on that Merc too.

tanacat
03-03-2013, 09:31 AM
:beerbuddy: Didn't get a chance to see these finds earlier Tony & Tim-you done good |:cheering:

Glad you got out for some huntin' together! Yes it's been pretty cold hasn't it :frozen: Did you use a jackhammer? :thinkingabout:

Mudder
03-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Tony/Tim
Great hunting and wonderful finds. My bag generally look more like you trash than the keepers. :perfect10:

River Styx
03-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Great job guys, being brand new to this and seeing what you found for the day just added to the curse. lol Makes me wanna go just that much more :pirate:

serega
04-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Как обычно , серебро и куча монет ...
Супер :perfect10:

Wisconsin Lockman
04-09-2013, 11:15 AM
You have some really nice finds. :congrats: