PDA

View Full Version : silver?

harvey261
02-18-2013, 11:07 PM
HI! im clint and im new to this metal detecting but i think i have a pretty decent spot. I started this coin shooting? this month with an ace 350 and im addicted! I did my research and realized i had a local early settlement on property that has likely never been hunted! Its in a woods and there is an old barn there. I am finding really old coins. Two 1912 wheats and 2 1853 large cents but only one silver and it was a merc. Question... where is the old silver and indian pennies? Any tips on pulling silver from this area? would my ace 350 find it if it were there?

POKIE73
02-19-2013, 07:10 AM
silver should be there just try to imagine where people would have been around their where did they congrgate anytime you find older pennies that a good sign good luck with your new hobby also your ace 350 is a good machine to start with i would bet before the summer is over you will be looking to upgrade that is the curse of this hobby good luck dennis

aloldstuff
02-19-2013, 08:08 AM
Pokie gave you some good advice. If you're finding early wheats and LC's then silver should be there. How long have you been detecting? I use a V3i and for the past 2+ years I am still learning this machine. Every year the finds get better.

Tony Two-Cent
02-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Hi Clint! Welcome to the forum! :waving:

I have found that some old sites don't have much silver. You just never know. If there is silver your Ace 350 would definitely find it. It is a very capable and well-respected machine.

However, if you're finding wheat cents and large cents then there should be some indian heads there as well. Just swing slow and listen for feint but consistent tones.

Best of luck! Keep us updated on your finds!

harvey261
02-19-2013, 12:06 PM
well there is very little evidence on what to go on as to what was there. There is a large old barn about 50 yards from where im finding the coins. I used a 1938 air view and seen an old road leading to nowhere at the time. Im assuming that was an older path leading to the old home that was no longer there when the picture was taken. Ive only been doing this about a month. Thought i would buy that ace 350 to try things out. My problem is... sometimes i did deep large iron. I know its a larger target, i know its jumpy but sometimes i still have to dig. Do other more expensive machines help with large iron?

Perry
02-24-2013, 07:00 PM
If you are in an old site you should dig the large iron --you my find some nice old items// Perry

ssserena
02-24-2013, 07:37 PM
I have had good luck with the silver but the Indians I just cant seem to put my hands on them.Pokie is experienced and he will not mislead you. >:\The curse of the indian head penny continues....Im not going to back down on my theory that super old indian head pennies do sink out of range!

harvey261
02-24-2013, 07:56 PM
Thank you for the replies and advice. Pokie is pretty good! i got my f75 ltd in the mail yesterday and boy is it a different animal!

POKIE73
02-25-2013, 06:15 PM
i know of some people on this forum that use that machine and they do well one tha comes to my mind is cody i think he has had one for some time maybe you can pick his brain for more tips dennis