PDA

View Full Version : First silver coin of the year...A beautiful Merc!

DIGGER27
02-19-2013, 07:02 AM
Did not have a good time yesterday morning climbing up an 850' mountain looking for old silver.
Others in my MD club have been up there and found some old stuff, so I climbed up there looking for my share.
I eneded up finding nothing but 2 pull tabs, my detector and coil was a poor choice because EMI was too heavy and the coil was too small to get the right depth when I turned the sense down, and I lost my Lesche in the deep leaves for 20 minutes but luckily I found it again.
Next time I go up there I am taking my Vaquereo so hopefully I will have a better time of it.
Eventually I came down and just hunted the picnic area at the bottom that has been there for yars, is very trashy and I have hunted before.
THAT'S where I came across this little lady...a shallow find only about a 1/4 inch deep, and it looks like it was lost just a few days after it came from the mint.

I have gotten good at finding jewelry, this is the year I am going to try to get better at finding silver coins and this is a great start!

Tony Two-Cent
02-19-2013, 07:06 AM
Congrats on the beautiful Merc! What a gorgeous coin, virtually no wear on it at all!

Good job on your first silver of the year. Here's to many more! |:cheering:

POKIE73
02-19-2013, 07:19 AM
nice merc it figures climb up the hill and then find the goodies at the bottom goes to show you never know where they will show up congrats on your find dennis

aloldstuff
02-19-2013, 08:15 AM
That dime looks great, full split bands on the reverse, :congrats:. If your gonna be looking for silver then you're off to a good start.

For Airborne
02-19-2013, 08:34 AM
beautiful coin in dark color of protective oxides(patina)

DIGGER27
02-19-2013, 08:51 AM
beautiful coin in dark color of protective oxides(patina)

Actually, that dark color is just the shadows from my lighting.
Here is another pic without the shadows.
This thing really does look pretty much brand new...kind of amazing, actually for a coin that is 69 years old.

starman2
02-19-2013, 09:10 AM
:congrats: on your first Silver of the year! And she's a beaut! Clad at 7 inches. A 44 Merc at 1/4 Go figure :dontknow:! WTG!!

ssserena
02-19-2013, 05:53 PM
that murc is very nice