PDA

View Full Version : Bustin' Frost with Tony Two Cent!

Ill Digger
02-19-2013, 12:07 PM
Sunday I FINALLY got a chance to get out and do some detecting!! :happy:
I met up with Tony Two Cent at a park south of were I live in hopes of finding some unfrozen ground, unlike it is around here. It's been over two months since I fired up my detector and boy does it show! I was beat before the day was over! >:tongue: lol
Well.... the ground was still frozen a little bit. Luckily not real bad.:dontknow:
Some areas only had a inch or two of frost, and other spots were hard as concrete!! >{ But I still had a good time! We each made some good finds. And no one had to make the dreaded Silverless Drive Home of Shame !! happydance02

My favorite find of the day, unfortunately, I found just minutes after Tony left for home. :rolleyes:
Mixed in with a pull tab signal I get a faint 11-39. But deep sounding. ::huh:: I told myself If by some chance this is a silver, I'm out of here for the day.
I dug down to find this!
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/2013%20Detecting%20Finds/IMG_2170_zpsea2b4c7b.jpg

I also found the pull tab that was mixed in with it. I back-filled the hole, I was about to power down and head for my truck, and I figured I better check the hole any ways. ;) Still a 11-39 ::huh:: Could it be the other half!? I always see people finding cut coins. But this pin pointed about 3 inches outside of my hole. So I flipped the plug back over tunneled in and out pops this!!
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/2013%20Detecting%20Finds/IMG_2169_zps306a8664.jpg

The other half!! I got both pieces!! :peace:
A 1937 Merc!!
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/2013%20Detecting%20Finds/IMG_2171_zps61152c19.jpg

After that I powered down and headed for home....BEAT! :stretcher:

Here's my coin finds for the 8 hours we detected:
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/2013%20Detecting%20Finds/IMG_2162_zps2d574eb9.jpg

The keepers; 1917, 1936, 1937 Mercs. 1913 Barber, and a 1905 IH:
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/2013%20Detecting%20Finds/IMG_2167_zps0f9d0823.jpg

Some of the other interesting finds from the day:
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/2013%20Detecting%20Finds/IMG_2164_zpsf42b66a8.jpg

Turns out I even found a little bit'o gold! ::huh:: lol
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/2013%20Detecting%20Finds/IMG_2165_zpsd483b5ff.jpg

Not very much. But it's gold! :yes: lol
It's a old gold-filled 4-H pin:
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/2013%20Detecting%20Finds/IMG_2166_zpsebb9fa61.jpg

Thanks for lookin' & HH!! :groovy:

Tony Two-Cent
02-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Great photos, Tim! I was waiting for your post. I was wondering if you found anything after I left. Very cool that you found both halves of the Merc! It is very rare to find both halves of a cut coin.

Good job on the Barber Dime too. I just noticed that it looks like someone scratched the initial A on the front of it. Great find!

As always, it was a pleasure hunting with you! We'll have to do it again soon. :yes:

aloldstuff
02-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Tim, finding both 1/2's of a cut coin is great. Looks like the travel time was well worth it, :congrats: on all those keepers. We are frozen in here in western MA, really stinks. I keep my detector in the kitchen and everytime I pass it I whisper, soon my friend, soon

angellionel
02-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Nicely done Tim! You know that cut-up mercury dime will be displayed in the newsletter, right? |:cheering: Thanks for the sharp photos too! thumbsup01

RobW
02-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Nice pile! Congrats on both halves...pretty cool :clapping:

starman2
02-19-2013, 02:11 PM
:wow:! Outstanding hunt you guy's!! Sounds like you had a ball! Crazy finding both halves fo the dime! Must have cut it in half, and just droped it. I'd take the stiffness any day. Compared to sittin around waiting for the thaw. WTG!!

AmxFred
02-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Very nice finds! :congrats: I can't believe you found two half dimes in the same hunt. :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

JdsCoins
02-19-2013, 05:17 PM
That's a great day of hunting. Awesome! thumbsup01

ssserena
02-19-2013, 05:49 PM
that barber dime and liza mineli are hot................................

buck57
02-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Nice bunch of finds Tim. :congrats:

dave in iowa
02-20-2013, 01:21 AM
great hunt , cant wait to get out again......

Ill Digger
02-20-2013, 01:28 AM
Good job on the Barber Dime too. I just noticed that it looks like someone scratched the initial A on the front of it. Great find!
When I got home my youngest son said Hey! ::huh:: There's a letter A scratched in his face! I said &quot:daydream:h yeah? I took a closer look at it and said Your right! :shocked01: There is a A in it! :yes: And a big A at that! :dontknow: lol He's got younger eyes lol

I was wondering if you found anything after I left. I have a tendecie of doing that. :blush: Ask Jeff. :dontknow:

I keep my detector in the kitchen and everytime I pass it I whisper, soon my friend, soon
::huh:: Al :confused: That's sick..... funny..... and completely understandable. rofl
Mine was in my bedroom. And I stepped on the coil like 3 or 4 times in the last month. 8/ I think it kept trying to jump out at me. :teasing: Saying Come on! Take me with you! |:confused:) .... lol

Nicely done Tim! You know that cut-up mercury dime will be displayed in the newsletter, right? |:cheering: Thanks for the sharp photos too! thumbsup01
Thanks Angel! :cheesysmile:
It will be? ::huh:: I guess I do now! :yes: lol Thanks! ....again! lol

Nice pile! Congrats on both halves...pretty cool :clapping:
Thanks Rob! :groovy:

I'd take the stiffness any day. Compared to sittin around waiting for the thaw. WTG!!
Thanks starman2! :beerbuddy:
The stiffness will go away. The silvers I'll have for ever..... :yes: lol
I completely :yes: understand were your coming from! It won't be long. Spring is around the corner. :drool:

Very nice finds! :congrats: I can't believe you found two half dimes in the same hunt. :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:
Thanks Fred!
I almost titled my thread something along those lines! :yes: lol
Great minds think alike I guess huh? :hysterical:

That's a great day of hunting. Awesome! thumbsup01
Thanks JdsCoins!
It was a great day! We had a blast! :yes:

that barber dime and liza mineli are hot................................
Do you really think that's Liza Minnelli? :confused:
I can see were you would say that :thinkingabout: But is it really a pin commemorating Liza Minnelli?
Thanks for the comment :)

Nice bunch of finds Tim. :congrats:
Thanks Buck! |:confused:)

great hunt , cant wait to get out again......
Thanks Dave! :groovy:
I know the feeling :yes: It won't be long. Maybe write us a song! :dontknow:
The Winter Time, Metal Detecting Blues :peace: .... lol

Full Metal Digger
02-20-2013, 09:12 AM
That's a great start to the year Tim! 2 half dimes too! ;) Looks like that little park still has lots of goodies to be found. Give me a call next time get down this way. HH, Dave.

skribnodsister
02-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Nice finds Tim! |:cheering: Looks like you and Tony had a great day. That's pretty cool that you were able to find both halves of the dime. :congrats:

CODY
02-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Great finds Tim. Congrats!

Tony Two-Cent
02-20-2013, 09:46 PM
I think he meant the woman in the red striped suit is Liza Minnelli. thumbsup01

CODY
02-20-2013, 10:04 PM
Oops, my bad!

Ill Digger
02-21-2013, 12:57 AM
That's a great start to the year Tim! 2 half dimes too! ;) Very funny Dave! :rolleyes: Rub it in why don't ya? :eyebrow:
Just because you've found a real one and I haven't! :crying02: :shocked04:verreaction: lol

Give me a call next time get down this way. HH, Dave.
OK thumbsup01 Will do! :yes:

Nice finds Tim! |:cheering: Looks like you and Tony had a great day. That's pretty cool that you were able to find both halves of the dime. :congrats:
Thanks Donna! Yeah, we had a good time, made some good finds, but we earned each and every one of'em! :yes: I'm still sore! :blackeye: lol

Great finds Tim. Congrats!
Thanks Cody! :beerbuddy:

I think he meant the woman in the red striped suit is Liza Minnelli. thumbsup01
Yeah. I know. But did she have that big of a following that people wore pins of her? :dontknow: ::huh:: lol

Ill Digger
02-21-2013, 01:01 AM
Thanks again to everyone for the great comments! |:confused:) It's interesting hearing some thoughts on why they both halves of the dime were laying there.

Tim, finding both 1/2's of a cut coin is great.

Crazy finding both halves fo the dime! Must have cut it in half, and just droped it.

I can't believe you found two half dimes in the same hunt.
I think the reason I found both halves is :thinkingabout: , I think it was just dropped, sitting in the grass (not deep down in the grass) and was run threw a old rotary type lawn mower. Like this one...
[attachimg=1]
In the pictures you can see the cut edges of the coin have a slice type cut. Plus it has a twist to the cut edge. :yes:
And believe me, that bur you can see.... that baby is like a razor! :pirate:
It would've just sliced it, tossed the two pieces straight up in the air, and fell right down. :yes:
That's my theory anyways. :yes: lol

milco
02-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Great hunt Tim, with some great finds and I am sure some much needed MDing action!

Ill Digger
02-25-2013, 12:26 AM
Great hunt Tim, with some great finds and I am sure some much needed MDing action!
Thanks Darren! :grin:
Boy you got that right! :yes: It sure felt good to get out and get some dirt under my nails! :peace: lol
Now we're back in the deep freeze again crying01 :frozen: But spring is just around the corner and we'll be diggin' again in no time! thumbsup01

PL8MAN
02-26-2013, 07:01 PM
Very cool finds ! thumbsup01

Mudder
02-27-2013, 07:33 PM
Great hunting Tim. I'm still not sure why anyone would cut up a perfectly good merc. :pirate:

Bell-Two
02-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Nice hunt there Tim looks like your first was an excellent one, Spring is gotta be coming soon....although looking out my window at the snow on the ground...makes me wonder!