PDA

View Full Version : A pleasant surprise at the Boston Science Museum

RobW
02-20-2013, 09:26 AM
This week, the kids have the week off for Winter break, My wife and I both took the day off on Monday to take our daughter to The Boston Science Museum, which is totally targeted at kids. I figured it was just going to be one of those days, dealing with the mobs of people, looking and playing with the exhibits that were geared for kids with maybe some cool features for adults.

We walked into the main room and I saw a sign for SHIPWRECK I thought it would be interesting to look at but boy was I shocked! :shocked03:

I have seen the images on TV, but to see it in person :shocked03:....the finds of the S.S. Republic!!!!!

It was a small but great display. They had a good sampling of the porceline and bottles and other knck knacks...but they also had the COINS...I could not get over the concretions of the coins..big chuncks of Seated Halves :drool:....they also had the certified gold double eagles and lesser denominations.

They also had some hands on exibits for the kids...I just wanted hands on of the coins :dontknow:

It was a good exhibit, but I would not pay the large entry price just for the exhibit

Ill Digger
02-20-2013, 09:36 AM
...I could not get over the concretions of the coins..big chuncks of Seated Halves :drool:....they also had the certified gold double eagles and lesser denominations.
:shocked04: That's one big glob of Seated halves!?! :drool: :drool:
:wow: That would be pretty cool to see! :cool:

aloldstuff
02-20-2013, 09:50 AM
Rob, didn't you find a glob like that and you thought it was junk so you threw it away... rofl

I wonder how many future detectorists :detecting: were created from the kids looking at the display?? I'm sure that some of their imaginations were going.

RobW
02-20-2013, 01:40 PM
:shocked04: That's one big glob of Seated halves!?! :drool: :drool:
:wow: That would be pretty cool to see! :cool:

The first one was HUGE, you can see the stacks of the halves. It was really cool to see it in person...I got kinda giddy when I walked into the exhibit and saw what it really was. My wife left me in there for awahile while they moved onto another exhibit.

RobW
02-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Rob, didn't you find a glob like that and you thought it was junk so you threw it away... rofl

I wonder how many future detectorists :detecting: were created from the kids looking at the display?? I'm sure that some of their imaginations were going.

First of all.... :tongue:

Secondly....That's what got my imaginatio0n going as a kid. I toured the Mel Fisher museaum in Key West. I even have a pic somewhere of me and Mel, he took off a BIG gold chain he was wearing that he had found and put it around my neck for the pic.

aloldstuff
02-20-2013, 02:47 PM
First of all.... :tongue:

Secondly....That's what got my imaginatio0n going as a kid. I toured the Mel Fisher museaum in Key West. I even have a pic somewhere of me and Mel, he took off a BIG gold chain he was wearing that he had found and put it around my neck for the pic.

Now that's pretty cool. Even cooler, you didn't take the picture :tongue:

RobW
02-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Even cooler, you didn't take the picture :tongue:

Yeah....I deserve that :behave:

SovereignGT
02-22-2013, 09:15 PM
I have found two Seated Liberty dimes melted together...not sure what the story was there. :grin: