PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Hunting Season and Reminders to a safe year

Sal66
02-21-2013, 07:00 AM
:) Hello everyone ! As the Winter winds down this year , I like yourselves are starting to get excited once again to get out of the house and do what we like to do the best as far as Hobbies go .
I just want to just remind everyone that as exciting as Metal Detecting is, that to be aware of your surroundings for those like myself that love to hunt in the woods and fields. Obviously we all know to look out for snakes, bees and large animals like Bears .
The one thing that many Detectorists fail to be aware of is Ticks. The best thing you can do is use repellant, wear your shirt tucked in, socks over your jean bottoms or wear a tick/mosquito one piece outfit sold in the Hunting section of stores like Bass Pro. Also, wearing gloves is crucial against not just ticks but Poison Plants ( poison ivy,Sumac etc.), head nets similiar to bee nets are also great for protection from West Nile carrying Mosquitoes .
It sounds like a lot to do to just go Detecting but as a Chronic Lyme Disease patient, it's well worth taking the time to protect yourself. Do to the ignorance of the Medical Community, I suffered a whole year before I found the right Doctor and was treated for 2 long grueling YEARS ! I was bit in 2006 and still live with Chronic pain among other symptoms. Metal Detecting is a great Hobby but if you don't listen to what I recommend, Lyme Disease can end your ability to Detect for ever . Luckily for me after 7 long years, I'm starting to be able to detect a little more. I still hurt the next day but I can still do it if I pace myself.
So as the season approaches, think of what I said and I hope everyone has a great and safe year.
Below is a link to an article about 3 NEW Bills trying to be passed for better diagnosis and treatment for Lyme Disease. PLEASE READ. Thank You. Just go to www.ctnow.com (http://www.ctnow.com) click health and type Lyme Disease in the search. You'll see the article listed there a little ways down.
Have a GREAT SEASON and lets see some more great finds this year. Hopefully I'll be able to get out more this year and Post some things myself. |:cheering:

aloldstuff
02-21-2013, 08:01 AM
Sal, all great advice. The level of awarness should be heightened for all detectorists, like you said especially the fields and woods hunters. Hope to see you get out more this year and post some great finds.

lee
02-21-2013, 12:35 PM
snakes , bees , and bears ? say what now :huh:thinkingabout:.....in connecticut ? .....nobody told me about this when i came over . :hysterical:

OxShoeDrew
02-21-2013, 03:45 PM
snakes , bees , and bears ? say what now :huh:thinkingabout:.....in connecticut ? .....nobody told me about this when i came over . :hysterical:

...and now mountain lions! Last week they got pictures of another big cat. http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/middlesex_cty/mountain-lion-spotted-in-east-haddam

I do agree with Sal in that our biggest fear is ticks. Thanks for the reminder.

Thiltzy
02-22-2013, 08:08 AM
Wear light colored pants so that is much easier to see the ticks crawling up your legs.

del
02-22-2013, 08:54 AM
wear raw meat on your pants its easier to see the ticks on them :thinkingabout: or was that to see the cougars better :thinkingabout: 8/ i'm confused now lol lol rofl

yes there are cougars here in Connecticut , a close personal friend saw one very up close in the Haddam area a couple of years ago. George and i've personally seen a couple of wolves in the Pomfret area , about eight years ago i got to see a good sized moose up in Colebrook/Hartland area and countless snakes. remember there is a lot of wildlife (some potentially dangerous too) out there in woods and your in their domain so be very alert to your surroundings (i wear only one ear-cup on my headphones so something doesn't sneak up on me), hunt with a buddy or two. poisonous plants and insects are no joke either and i recommend every possible precaution to be taken.

Dan

RobW
02-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Ive met a few cougars at some networking events in CT.....they're dangerous...suck the money right out of ya rofl

Sal66
03-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Yeah Dan's right. I also was in Hartland in 2005 and almost walked right into one walking across the path. It was the first time I was excited and scared at the same thing, I was alone also. I don't hunt alone anymore. That's why I try to find a partner. Before you know it we will have to carry a pistol.
I hear the buzzing noise has scared off Bears on occasion. I read a story in a MD'ing magazine . Be safe everyone and please don't hunt alone .

carl2112
03-11-2013, 02:32 PM
thanks for the tips. i know lyme Disease can be very bad especially if it goes undiagnosted i just watched a documentary about it!