PDA

View Full Version : are indians to deep to be found with the normal etrac coil

ssserena
02-21-2013, 11:38 PM
Ive notices something when detecting lack of indian head pennies and theres no logical explaination for this the only one I found with the etrac was super deep at 9 inches,I want to find more indians in 2013 and I don't think the stock coil is doing a good job finding Indians.My theory is indian have been sinking for 104 years at the least and they are not going to be shallow,due to the large amounts of small earth quakes thousands of rains and snow storms and so on,I wonder if a super deep seeking coil would get the job done for indian head pennies,Im guessing most of them are between 9 and 18 inches deep.

freemindstuck
02-22-2013, 01:30 AM
I don't use an etrac. But I'm certain the stock coil can find Indian Head pennies. On my V3I they look like zinc pennies, so I'd recommend you dig more zinc pennies, especially the deeper ones.

del
02-22-2013, 03:27 AM
it depends alot on where your looking for them ... in a park setting they could be at any depth depending on whether there was construction or landscaping that went on there at one time or another . i find colonial coins (1600's and 1700's era coins in untouched areas) and alot of the times they are only 3 to 7 inches deep and they have had a century or two more time to settle in than those indians. my deeper ones that i find are almost always because of some farming or other earth moving reason was done. i suspect your indians are there at all depths but alot of the shallower ones have been picked already and the deeper ones are there because of the reasons above , by the way if your passing up them shallower bottle cap sounding targets your missing them as well.

Dan

Tony Two-Cent
02-22-2013, 07:06 AM
I found 136 Indian Heads in 2012 here in Illinois with my stock E-Trac coil. I'd say that 90% of them were 5 to 7 deep. I just dig every signal that has a conductive number of 30 or higher and is at least 3 deep. I've had Indian Heads ring up as low as 12-30 and as high as 12-41.

There are still a LOT of Indian Heads out there to be found, and the stock coil on the E-trac will definitely find them. thumbsup01

ssserena
02-22-2013, 02:34 PM
I hope your right!134 Indians in 1 year your awesome,ive only found 1 with the etrac,i must have something notched out wrong,i detected big time last year and dug everything,when we get together in the coming weeks maybe ill show you my screen maybe something is notched wrong.

RobW
02-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Tony is right...but I've had Indians hit as low as 11/12-17, some in the 20's too. While my numbers of Indians are not as impressive as Tony's from last year, I didn't do so bad. But I too have found them from practically on top of the ground to being deep...lots of reasons. It's all about the volume of digging. Good luck..and buy some knee pads thumbsup01

ssserena
02-22-2013, 05:26 PM
The thing is that I want barbers too and I don't want to dig ever thing out there.The reason I payed big money for the etrac is that I didn't have to dig everything.If this is the case why did I get a etrac .If this is the case we all should have a ace 150.We all don't spend $1500.00 for our health we spend more to dig less junk.Technology is good less junk. :yes:

RobW
02-22-2013, 05:42 PM
Yeah...No...The E-trac is a far superior machine.....I have hunted for over 25 years with many machines....I love my E-trac and since getting one, my counts have SOARED. You can cherry pick finds..and even if you do they will still be higher than with most other machines. However, if you want to get what all the other leave behind...that is true hunting. With more experience you will learn, and yes you will dig more trash...but you will find more :yes:

A lot will depend on where and what kinda of hunting you do. For example....if I am at an old home or field...I dig most everything, unless I can 100% say it's trash. If I'm at an old park....I will dig less of the upper signals, unless they are coins, but more of the deeper signals. Depth will also affect the numbers, so will angles the coin is laying. Older coins will hit lower than newer coins, not always, but most of the time (i.e. seated vs. mercury dimes).

If you are looking for Indians, corosion plays a role too, thus lowering numbers.

There are a lot of factors that come into play Time, experience, and a lot of digging and you will get your rewards.

Epi-hunter
02-22-2013, 06:14 PM
The thing is that I want barbers too and I don't want to dig ever thing out there.The reason I payed big money for the etrac is that I didn't have to dig everything.If this is the case why did I get a etrac .If this is the case we all should have a ace 150.We all don't spend $1500.00 for our health we spend more to dig less junk.Technology is good less junk. :yes:

This is a common thing that people expect when they buy an E-Trac or other expensive machine.

You don't have to dig everything, but you do have to learn the machine very well in order to discern the good targets - particularly those among trash, iron, or very deep with poor signals. Those are the coins that others have missed and these are the ones still waiting to be found, but it's not easy, and finding those more elusive coins that others have missed does not come straight out of the box.

The difference between an ACE 150 (to use your example) and a high-end machine such as the one that you have, is that the E-Trac is capable of giving you A LOT more information about the target than a lower end machine can. The information may be subtle (usually is), but it's telling you more than a lower end machine would. So, you still have to learn what the machine is saying to you, and in order to do that, you might have to dig more than you want to for awhile until you learn that.

I have found IH's as shallow as 1 inch and as deep as 10 inches or more. It just depends on the location. IH's usually hit solidly in the 30's (CO) for me, and the pinpoint will be that of a coin. Usually once I know the location and depth to expect things, I can predict if such a signal is an IH and usually find it to be accurate. But most IH's in my area come out very nice and not corroded, and as Rob said above, corrosion can throw off the numbers.

POKIE73
02-22-2013, 08:23 PM
andy i hate to tell you this but you are always looking for a sure fire thing the truth is there is none their is no way to know for sure you have to be in a place that dates to the time that you can expect the type of coins you are looking for i am being honest with you their is no way to do what you are asking i have found over 150 silver coins last year a few hundred wheaties and about 50 to 60 indians but they all came from areas that was old enogh to expect them to come from my advice is reasearch some old areas and go over it slow and then go slower thats the real secret the e trac is a great machine but it does not put the coins under the coil you have to put the coil over them i hope this helps dennis

SovereignGT
02-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Yes registering as zinc pennies can be deceptive ( I hate digging those) Also the earlier IH's were of a different composition than the later issues.

ssserena
02-22-2013, 09:52 PM
im thinking im going to have to change my approach less parks and more older homes I have numorous historic homes lined up for this spring and just waiting for the ground to thaw.Your 1 inch depth indian was probably moved recently because there no way a indian has stayed at 1 inch in 107 years.Coins sink big time especially with sandy soil.I posted a week ago about the capped dime that kept on sinking and sinking and sinking and finally gone out of range,now if it stayed near some rocks it wont sink.Im just saying when I buy large bags of coins for example I find all the silver dimes at the bottom of the bag because silver is heavier and this is the same case with soil especially south of I-80 really sandy down there by lasalle peru area.And dennis save the barbers for me you've had enough..... \:hammer:

ssserena
02-22-2013, 10:00 PM
:white:usaflag::Theres a new etrac owner in the dekalb area and im out to get the barber dimes.Im going to a auction in the morning and im hoping to out bid all the old ladies on a old 1930s atlas.If they out bid me tomorrow im going to :hairpulling:

Epi-hunter
02-22-2013, 10:09 PM
im thinking im going to have to change my approach less parks and more older homes I have numorous historic homes lined up for this spring and just waiting for the ground to thaw.Your 1 inch depth indian was probably moved recently because there no way a indian has stayed at 1 inch in 107 years.Coins sink big time especially with sandy soil.I posted a week ago about the capped dime that kept on sinking and sinking and sinking and finally gone out of range,now if it stayed near some rocks it wont sink.Im just saying when I buy large bags of coins for example I find all the silver dimes at the bottom of the bag because silver is heavier and this is the same case with soil especially south of I-80 really sandy down there by lasalle peru area.And dennis save the barbers for me you've had enough..... \:hammer:

It wasn't moved recently. It was in an area with a lot of limestone in the ground. So yes, if there is an impediment to a coin sinking, or if it's in an area where there is a lot of repeat erosion/shifting of the soil due to rain, for instance, coins can shift around on their own. Sometimes sandy areas erode and shift when it rains so much that deep coins can end up quite shallow. Just my own experience.

It also varies a ton according to soil type. In one old park with original ground, I found a half dime at an inch or less (in rocky soil, on a hill). In the same park a friend found something like 28 indian heads, all fairly shallow, in one area, and we both found old silver seated and barber coins in another area of the park which were very deep. The same park on the same day. So it really varies. Anyway, I hope you don't give up on parks too soon. They are a challenge but they can be very much worth it. Good luck :)

ssserena
02-22-2013, 10:15 PM
:beatdown: Those barber dimes this spring wont stand a chance.Thanks for the imput.

Epi-hunter
02-22-2013, 10:18 PM
Barber dimes were elusive for me at first, for some reason - I found seated coins first. But they are a fun find :yes: Don't give up on the parks yet - that is where the real crowds were, and there are still coins in those parks as well as many other goodies. It is fun and rewarding :)

ssserena
02-23-2013, 02:34 PM
you've found seated dimes.REEEEAAAALLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYY!i WOULD LITTERALY FAINT IF I GOT A SEATED DIME.. <:

POKIE73
02-23-2013, 03:16 PM
they are all out ther just waiting to be found the problem is they are not your usual find but when you take your time and put in the effort you can find them i found 4 seated last year and the year before i got a liberty cap bust 1 block from my house you just never know thats why i say go slow and low and then slow down some more dennis

Full Metal Digger
02-23-2013, 04:54 PM

Hmmmm, let's see. I been using my e-trac 2 years now and don't dig much trash any more. By trash I mean pull tabs and screw caps and iron junk. I do dig lots of scrap copper and brass simply because they ring up too much like a coin to pass by. For the most part, barbers and indians run about 7 to 10 inches deep here in my neck of the woods. I have found indians as shallow as 1 or 2 inches deep in yards (watch my videos to see them). Most cornfield coins run only 1 or 2 inches deep because the plow pulls the coins up to the surface. The most important thing about the signal is does it SOUND good? The numbers on the screen are just and indicator but NOT gospel. I can't tell you how many times I dug a super crappy signal and found an awesome old coin. There was just something about the sound that said good even though the numbers were way off.

If I am doing an old farm house and I keep getting little scraps of aluminum siding that come in as 13-44 at 3 inches deep, guess what? I quit digging 13-44 signals at 3 inches deep in that yard. If I get a 13-44 at 8 inches, it most likely ain't aluminum siding and I dig it up. Unless of course I turn on my camera to film a live dig. Then it will be trash! lol

ssserena
02-23-2013, 05:49 PM
I see the day when they make a mini camera on the detector that goes down checked to see if it a coin and has a live video on the screen it could happen.you would have a small light connected to the camera and it would appear on the screen they already have it for ice fishing dirt fishing is next imagin less holes happier detectist. :perfect10:

freemindstuck
02-23-2013, 05:59 PM
I'd rather have a pet mole that I can train to just go get the coins for me.

ssserena
02-23-2013, 09:20 PM
:frozen: go away so I can get my Indians!

CTDirtFisher
02-25-2013, 06:23 PM
I found 136 Indian Heads in 2012 here in Illinois with my stock E-Trac coil. I'd say that 90% of them were 5 to 7 deep. I just dig every signal that has a conductive number of 30 or higher and is at least 3 deep. I've had Indian Heads ring up as low as 12-30 and as high as 12-41.

There are still a LOT of Indian Heads out there to be found, and the stock coil on the E-trac will definitely find them. thumbsup01

Tony is spot on... I've dug 100+ Indians with my E-Trac as well... Ferrous will normall be a little lower (down to 8) and if all is perfect conductive will ring in @ 35... but often can look like a pull tab... often they are not solid signals... and sometimes they look like a wheat / copper penny...

Paul

ssserena
02-25-2013, 06:29 PM
ive never had a penny ring up in a low tone are you sure your talking about a etrac!35 :barf:

Tony Two-Cent
02-25-2013, 07:53 PM
Paul was talking about the FERROUS number (the first number) coming in at 8. For example 08-35 on the E-Trac could be an Indian Head.

SovereignGT
02-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Found 3 IH's today with my Etrac and small SEF 6x8 coil (1899 & two 1903's) So I think the stock PRO coil is quite capable.

ssserena
02-26-2013, 02:19 PM
pokie sayed the last number is the most important number!