PDA

View Full Version : MONO GOLD

markg
02-25-2013, 12:05 PM
I was hunting Sunday afternoon in one of my old school yards where in years past they dumped the coal waste from the furnaces. This material attracts to a magnet and can cause weird problems for a metal detector especially after a soaking rain. Well anyway I was hunting the area with my Fisher F75 in 4F tones with discrimination of 5 and a sensitivity setting of 60 in BP mode. The machine was very noisy with ticks and clicks and sporadic high tones. After a while I decided to switch to monotone and started digging anything that even started to repeat. I came across a very loud signal and new it was close to the surface, but the VDI numbers were everywhere but mostly in the iron range. Switching over to 4F tone and the audio sounded like pure trash and I can say for sure I would not have dug this target in any setting other than monotone (actually reminds me of the Tesoro Tejon one tone detector) I Also know from experience how some ground conditions and co-located iron objects can cause the VDI to be very bouncy. So I decided to recover this target and at 1” deep, this 10k, dime size white gold ring (1.06g) came up. Out of the ground it read a solid 19 but the numbers were not even close to that while it was in the ground. I suspect the coal cinders was the reason why the ID numbers were so bouncy and the audio was less than ideal even in monotone. Now with this information I need to re-hunt these school grounds again in monotone. This is a very versatile machine, but there is a time an place for each of the different modes.

http://imageshack.us/a/img198/3653/gedc0010f.jpg

Tony Two-Cent
02-25-2013, 01:18 PM
You can't argue with those results! Very nice find, Mark! Way to find gold in very difficult conditions! |:cheering:

:congrats:

freemindstuck
03-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Very nice find. :congrats: I've hunted similar conditions around train stations where they would just dump the coal slag where ever. The mineralization in such spots can be as high as 35 percent. And it is amazing that you found such a nice find in such difficult conditions. It shows that you have unusual patience and must really know your detector. thumbsup01

OxShoeDrew
03-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Good work Mark. I've noticed that my T2 is jumpy right after rain....but great about 6 or 7 hours after. Best of luck |:cheering: