PDA

View Full Version : Silver Wheats and Token!

Bell-Two
02-28-2013, 09:28 AM
I finally got permission on a house I have been eyeing a long time, nice folks said I come come back anytime. Most finds came from a small section of the front yard, back yard has tons of junk but front cleaner. This comes from two days of short hunts. The first day I started getting a bunch of clad right away ended up with over $3.00 worth. Started getting some wheats, earliest 1920 and kept thinking there should be some silver there and finally I turned up a Silver Washington 1952-D ...my first Silver of the year ended up with 6 wheats and the quarter. The cold and the cold I have been fighting did me in. Came back the next day for a couple of hours got two more wheats in the same hole a 1920 and a 1921 and then got the token. Could not find any info on it, a Ingle System token if anyone knows anything about it let me know. It was issued in 1909.

aloldstuff
02-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Nice early Pat'd Date on the token. :congrats: on the 1st silver of 2013 and it's a quarter.

Google and found this:

The Ingle System started in 1909 and issued script for general use by merchants. Long gone, remnants of the system are tokens of all types with the words 'Ingle System' inscribed. If you go on eBay and do a search on 'Ingle Token' you will see a wide array of designs. The sell roughly like this:

worn: $2 US dollars
average circulated: $3
well preserved: $10

Full Metal Digger
02-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Nice finds Tony! I'm glad you finally got to search that yard. The token is very nice and a wonderful addition to your collection. Congrats on the first silver of the year also. Best wishes and HH, Dave.

Lodge Scent
02-28-2013, 01:02 PM
That token is a cool find!

starman2
02-28-2013, 02:22 PM
:congrats: on the first big silver of the year!! The token is cool! Glad you were able to get out. Keep :detecting:!

RobW
02-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Very nice. I'd see what you can find on the merchant on the other side of the token.

Great finds, I can't wait to get out myself :envious:

PL8MAN
02-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Very cool token !

skribnodsister
02-28-2013, 09:35 PM
Nice finds! |:cheering: Glad to hear that someone is able to go out detecting! I hope your cold gets better and that you find lots more Silver when you go back there! Congrats on your first Silver of the year.... :perfect10: :perfect10:

Tony Two-Cent
02-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Very cool old token, Tony! :yes:

And it's always nice to get a silver quarter! |:cheering:

Nice that you were able to get permission to hunt that old yard. The weather just hasn't been fit for detecting here. Hopefully spring will be arriving soon!

Congrats on the finds! :clapping:

Bell-Two
02-28-2013, 10:59 PM
Just got this information from a poster on another forum:

John Peter Bley had a grocery in Whiting, IN, ordered and started using these tokens about 1912. The 1926 Hammond, IN city directory shows him in partnership with Nick Thillen in the grocery and meat business at 960 Indianapolis Blvd. in Hammond. The 1929 Hammond, IN city directory shows him by himself in the grocery business at 635 Hammond Blvd. which was noted to be served by the Whiting post office.

CODY
02-28-2013, 11:03 PM
Big grats on the first silver. Love the token. :smitten: Silver is always nice, but there is something about those old tokens that crank my tractor.

starman2
03-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Big grats on the first silver. Love the token. :smitten: Silver is always nice, but there is something about those old tokens that crank my tractor.
:hysterical: Crack My Tractor Thats a good one! lol

tanacat
03-01-2013, 06:07 PM
|:cheering: Very nice token! Congrats on the silver too! Isn't it nice to find folks who say come back anytime :yes:

I bet you'll find some good stuff when it warms up a bit :frozen: I know what you mean about the cold doing you in lately! We must look crazy to people who don't understand, out there detecting in the cold and rain :twirlingeyes: Why I try to hunt in more isolated areas on these kind of days lol