PDA

View Full Version : todays and yesterday's silver

randy
04-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Yesterday went to a site that gives up a silver about half the time, but it seems like pulling teeth to get it. The rosie was only 3.5 inches deep, but there was alot going on in the area -- foil, a pull tab, a copper penny, and deep iron. I would not have found it were I not playing with using a program with better separation on the V3. I did isolate the rosie first and dug the other targets just to see what was going on. With the normal program I use, it looked like one big mess that I usually write off as a canslaw.

Today managed to pull a silver religious pendant called a Miraculous Medal. Apparently they have been making these since 1832. No telling how old this one is, but I'm guessing based on depth and location that it is 50s to 70s. There are alot of variants to the design -- I guess if I had time I could try to date it better. In sterling, these sell online for $30, I'd be happy to let it go for $15 :cheesysmile:

This was a little disturbing on the V -- it was about 5-6 inches deep, but I was pretty sure it was iron, and almost didn't dig it. The V was not giving too much in the conductive/silver zone, but green was dominant, so I often dig those (but often don't). I should think it shouldn't break up like that 'til 8-9 inches down. I'm sure I've missed some silvers because of this.

Anyway, silver 3 hunts in a row, which is probably a record for me.

xzlr8n
04-17-2010, 06:41 PM
Congrats on the silver!!

I agree with you on the erratic siganls the V3 gives. How did you get better separtation?? - increase recovery speed?? change filter settings?? Still getting good depth with 6 for the silver pendant. Thanks for any reply you give ;)

coinnut
04-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Nice couple of silvers. Obviously that medal was made when the price of silver was low lol I think the 1830 date stands for something that happened on that date. Can't remember what since the Catholic school nuns beat us so much lol But it's a religious event date of some sort I think :confused: Glad you scored some decent silver!!

randy
04-17-2010, 10:58 PM
Congrats on the silver!!

I agree with you on the erratic siganls the V3 gives. How did you get better separtation?? - increase recovery speed?? change filter settings?? Still getting good depth with 6 for the silver pendant. Thanks for any reply you give ;)

Actually I was using a version of one of Jack's programs. Filter was 5hz band, and recovery delay was 115 (which is actually slower than the stock CJ program). I was getting the separation by swinging really, really slow. It was almost as if the settings were forcing me to remember to swing really, really slow, as I generally swing fairly fast.

hoser
04-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Awesome job on the silver finds. Looks like the tweaking of that program has paid off for ya

ProPointer
04-18-2010, 09:53 AM
thumbsup01 Nice digs Randy!

del
04-18-2010, 01:51 PM
i agree , very sweet finds Randy

angellionel
04-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Very nice digs, Randy. thumbsup01

CTDirtFisher
04-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Nice digs...