PDA

View Full Version : Hey from SC.

River Styx
03-03-2013, 12:57 AM
Hello,

Looking to start detecting.

I have lived all over the country and world for that matter and have seen people detecting, read story's and heard the tails etc. Now I am ready at this point in my life to learn how to do this. I am sure there are tones, beeps, etc that mean all different things and I know absolutely nothing.

With that being said I know it is about personal preference on a lot of things in life but is there a considerable difference when looking at purchasing as to a screen vs. a headset? Why? etc. Help me please!

Thanks in advance
River.

aloldstuff
03-03-2013, 07:16 AM
River, welcome from western MA. You have a lot of questions that need to be answered. What type of detecting are you going to do, coin shooting, relic hunting, beach hunting? How much do you want to spend? The forum members have a wealth of information to offer but they will need more infor. Have you watched any videos of certain brands?

Good luck in quest to get started in this very addicting hobby.

Al

Mudder
03-03-2013, 08:43 AM
River, Welcome from South Mississippi. Aloldstuff is right about determining the type of detecting you want to do and the price you are willing to pay. I would suggest going to youtube, and watching a ton of videos of the different models. Watch how they are used, what they find and how deep they are digging to find it. :detecting:

Lowjiber
03-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Welcome to the forum and the hobby from southern Nevada.

There's a bunch to learn, so get started with a fairly basic machine (Ace by Garrett is a good place to start) that has a display and will accept a headphone (you really need to use both).

Read the instructions about a billion times and practice by planting some targets in an easy place...like a sand volleyball court. Remember this all your detecting life: Swing Slowly!

This hobby is not rocket surgery, but (like anything else) you need to get the basics down first.

copperpenny
03-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Welcome to the forum from So Cal, HH !!!!!!!! :cool:

River Styx
03-03-2013, 12:53 PM
aloldstuff

to answer your question, there in lies the problem lol I wish to do pretty much all of it. I live in an area that I think can shoot coins, find relics and so on. As well I def want to do the beaches. Thank you.

Mudder,

Thank you as well, I was thinking about the 3030 as it seems to be an all around but I think for me the biggest question is just how much does a say 3,000 dollar detector do compared to a 500 dollar one? I will look at the one you suggest.

Lowjiber

Great suggestion to find what I know is there, that will help the sound part I am sure! Thanks.

copperpenny

Howdy.

River Styx
03-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Oh sorry that is the Minelab CTX 3030 but am open for suggestions.

http://bigboyshobbies.net/shop/minelab-ctx-3030-metal-detector/

Skamaniac
03-03-2013, 01:42 PM
Hi River,
I just bought a new detector (Garrett AT Pro) and here's what I did to make my decision: I read this forum's topics extensively. That helped me figure out what metal detecting is all about and what I thought I would spend most of my time looking for. Some of that I already knew because I've played around with detecting before.

Then I hit the web sites of White's, Garrett, Minelab, etc, as well as metal detector sales sites like Kellyco.com to get a good comparison of the different makes and models.

Going to a local metal detector shop to pick the brain of whoever works there is also good as long you go in determined to just ask questions and not get sucked into buying on the spot. The good guys are willing to spend time with you explaining everything because they love metal detecting as much as making a sale.

I watched youtube videos and product training videos about different different searches, equipment, and methods.

Then I spoke to detectorists here locally to get their opinions about the hobby and equipment. Finally, I brewed it all together and made my choice based on what I want to do and what I could afford.

NOW I'm figuring out how to use the AT Pro and make it work for me. Mostly though, I have fun!

River Styx
03-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Thanks Skamaniac

More great idea's for research. I was looking at the Garrett Pro as well. I do know this, I spend a lot of time in the water and love to scuba so the beaches is a serious weigh in, but I also want to do fields, farms, country, parks, etc. I appreciate it. I am watching the videos on the manufacturers web sites this morning.

Lots to take in to make that decision. Looking at the Minelab Excalibur II now. Says it is the worlds best water detector (under water) and can dive wrecks up to 200 feet down so that is a great feature to me. Now I have to see how it is above ground!

del
03-04-2013, 04:11 PM
welcome to the forum RS , personally i don't like to steer anyone to a particular machine but only can say do your homework on the various types that best fit your wants and needs for this hobby. when you narrow the choices down or you have concerns about some models just ask , you'll get some honest feedback and opinions from some very good and knowledgeable members here. We're not affiliated with any manufacturers here like some other forums and speak our minds plus we have informational and civil discussions about all brands all the time. glad you found us here on the net .

Dan

River Styx
03-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Thanks Dan,

I was thinking most recent on the E Trac and the Excalibur II for both of my needs and now I am looking at the Deus.

I have been watching the videos and see that on the Stock settings the Deus seems to detect better/deeper but as I listen to what they are saying that is not necessarily the case on the tweaked personal settings. I am still researching that end of it. I do like the Deus as to how small and compact it breaks down to and the fact that it is so light weight.

I did not see if the Deus is water proof as in surf type detecting going no deeper than 10 foot as the E Trac is capable of doing.

If you see anything about either one of those then please let me know Dan or anyone:huh: lol

Thanks again.

River Styx
03-04-2013, 09:33 PM
I have determined that for all of my current interest and spending a few minutes on the phone with big boy's who was very helpful in answering questions about all of the other detectors I have been looking at, and lots of >:{ I am going to go with the CTX 3030 and the grey ghost phones so I can do beaches, rivers, and snorkeling along with all of the other dry land searches.

Thanks to those of you that helped me with input. :white:usaflag::

CODY
03-06-2013, 07:15 AM
Welcome to the forum. Welcome from Mississippi. Good luck with the 3030. Its a great machine. One thing to always remember. No matter what machine you use, LEARN IT! All Md's talk to you. It is our job to learn what they are saying. Become one with your detector, and the force will be with you. Looking forward to your finds and post.

jkress
03-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Welcome to American Detectorist River. :clapping:

You are going to have a lot of fun with the 3030. It is a very nice machine. :daydream:
Keep us posted on your progress and more importantly the things you find. :->

River Styx
03-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Welcome to American Detectorist River. :clapping:

You are going to have a lot of fun with the 3030. It is a very nice machine. :daydream:
Keep us posted on your progress and more importantly the things you find. :->

I will post on my finds, especially after the first day. I will probably make the first or second trip out at a beach. I should be able to put together my shopping list in the next week or two but this week I am having a 6 speed transmission put in my 99 Fat Boy! I do however look forward to hunting, I have been bitten pretty bad lol

Welcome to the forum. Welcome from Mississippi. Good luck with the 3030. Its a great machine. One thing to always remember. No matter what machine you use, LEARN IT! All Md's talk to you. It is our job to learn what they are saying. Become one with your detector, and the force will be with you. Looking forward to your finds and post.

Yes Obi Wan, I hope the force is with me. I have been reading the manual download, watching the video's etc even though I do not have it yet lol but yeah I have been seeing this with all the video etc. You surely need to know the diff in tones and I am sure that I will be digging a lot of trash for a while until I become proficient.

Thanks guys.

CODY
03-07-2013, 08:00 AM
By the way, I like your phrase.

River Styx
03-07-2013, 11:32 AM
By the way, I like your phrase.

Ditto, Hooyah!

Fire Fighter 43
03-12-2013, 08:49 AM
Welcome to the forum and the hobby from SE Wisconsin. I would start with a budget for a detector, head phones, pin pointer digging tool and pouch. That will give you an idea of what detectors are in your price range. You also need to know what type of hunting you are going to do (beach, water, relic, coin). Once you have that figured out there are many members here that can help you narrow it down to a couple different detectors. Good luck.

Tony Two-Cent
03-18-2013, 08:18 AM
Welcome from Illinois! :waving:

Got that CTX 3030 figured out yet? ;)

You certainly did choose an excellent detector to start out with! That CTX 3030 should excel in any kind of hunt, in water or on land.

Best of luck and keep us updated on your progress! :yes:

OxShoeDrew
03-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Bart is a good guy...and I'm guessing you'll like the 3030. Welcome from the nutmeg state. :waving:

Wisconsin Lockman
04-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Welcome from West Central Wisconsin.