PDA

View Full Version : Is southern illinois still frozen?

ssserena
03-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Im planning on going to southern Illinois with the wife next weekend to go detecting is the snow gone down there and is the soil soft yet,if there is any ice in the soil ill cancel my trip because I don't do ice in the soil.Thank you southern Illinois detectist for your weather reports,i did google noaa for southern Illinois and it is suppost to be 53 degrees next Saturday down bye olney Illinois sorry to a certain member I was going to take but the wife kinda flipped out yesterday when I told here I was going to go down with you instead of her so you know who you are we will get the hunt in, don't take it personal...

harvey261
03-04-2013, 01:28 AM
im in fairfield and i plan to go this week some. I have noticed that as long as its above 40 everything is ok to detect. Below that and my hands get cold!! I think you should be just fine. Hopefully by then the soil will not be so muddy!

Tony Two-Cent
03-04-2013, 08:30 AM
By early afternoon it wasn't even frozen here in central Illinois yesterday. At the second park I went to the ground was as soft as butter. Easy diggin'.

It's supposed to be 62 degrees in Olney, Illinois this Saturday. Shouldn't be frozen at all.

ssserena
03-04-2013, 11:18 PM
heres the soil report!Thanks everyone..

harvey261
03-05-2013, 02:58 PM
i was going to head out today but we have an inch of snow on :(

Tony Two-Cent
03-05-2013, 05:48 PM
im in fairfield and i plan to go this week some. I have noticed that as long as its above 40 everything is ok to detect. Below that and my hands get cold!! I think you should be just fine. Hopefully by then the soil will not be so muddy!

Harvey, I grew up just a few miles north of you in Flora. I detected a lot in Clay County when I lived there until 1986. I never detected in Fairfield, but I did make it down to Wayne County for a few hunts in Cisne and Rinard.

harvey261
03-05-2013, 06:04 PM
i went to school at eiu! i think thats pretty close to you! You should get down here. I have access to lots of old houses and need someone to show me how this is done!

Tony Two-Cent
03-05-2013, 08:59 PM
i went to school at eiu! i think thats pretty close to you! You should get down here. I have access to lots of old houses and need someone to show me how this is done!

My parents and brother still live in Flora so I visit there often. Next time I'm headed down that way I will give you a heads up and maybe we can get together for some detecting.

ssserena
03-05-2013, 10:04 PM
I really don't want to intrude on you guys but if I don't detect soon im going to have a nervous breakdown,we just got 11 inches of snow today and it was the biggest loudest most obnoxious slap in the face ive seen in a long time.So if I could get together with you guys in the next week that would be awesome Thanks... crying01

marinedad
03-06-2013, 12:19 AM
I really don't want to intrude on you guys but if I don't detect soon im going to have a nervous breakdown,we just got 11 inches of snow today and it was the biggest loudest most obnoxious slap in the face ive seen in a long time.So if I could get together with you guys in the next week that would be awesome Thanks... crying01

i thought you were going with the wife? did she get a detector yet?

harvey261
03-06-2013, 12:25 AM
I honestly dont have a clue what im doing but im trying :) I need some expert to show me whats up. I have dozens of old house places and have stumbled on a few large cents but i need some advice on how this is done! Make sure you send me a PM when you are heading this way and we can see what we can work out. Do you guys hunt old houses much? Are some better than others?