PDA

View Full Version : Indian Head, Shield Nickel, 1909-VDB, Merc, and a cool old token...

Tony Two-Cent
03-03-2013, 10:30 PM
Today ended up being a beautiful day for metal detecting. Finally! Bright sunshine and no wind. The temperature was 23 degrees when I started hunting this morning and got up into the mid-30s by afternoon.

I hunted at two familiar parks today. The ground was still slightly frozen at the first park, but not too bad. I ended up finding 6 wheat cents and a Shield Nickel at the first park. This is my third Shield Nickel ever, and was a very nice surprise.

After not finding much else at the first park I decided to head back to Two-Cent Park where I found my first Two-Cent Piece last year. I just can't stay away from this park, even though the finds have become rather sparse there. I can't stop thinking about all of the great coins I have found at this site and I keep hoping there are more. There today I found 1 Indian Head, 11 Wheat Cents including a 1909-VDB, 1 Mercury Dime, and really neat billiard token.

Here are all of my finds from the first park:

The Shield Nickel is very worn and I'm not 100% sure of the date but it might be 1872

Here are all of my finds from Two-Cent Park:

Only one Indian Head today, and it came late in the day:

I have found several 1909 Wheat Cents but this is my first VDB:

17 total Wheat Cents today:

I'm glad this wasn't a 1916-D because I scratched the reverse:

I thought this old token was really neat. It is counterstamped N.B. on one side above the image of an old billiard table.

I didn't know what this was when I dug it, but after I got it cleaned up I decided it must be the top of an old lighter?

I also found this wick holder section of an old lamp:

Last and certainly least, the junk I dug today:

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting! :beerbuddy:

starman2
03-03-2013, 11:06 PM
:perfect10:Very cool finds Tony! Glad you got out. Isn't the VDB worth something? Looks to be in fairly good shape. :congrats: on a great hunting :detecting: spot!

CODY
03-04-2013, 03:56 AM
Nice finds! Love the token :smitten: Congrats!

aloldstuff
03-04-2013, 05:45 AM
Glad to see that you took advantage of the weather. Nice pile of keepers. That token is really cool. :congrats: on the silver, shield nickle and of course the IH. I've gotten several 1909 VDB's but the S is always missing. We are suspose to have temps in the 40's all week so hopefully we will have a huge snow melt.

Your keeper to junk ration looks pretty good.

POKIE73
03-04-2013, 06:38 AM
first off congrats on getting some keepers second i know about how you feel i have a certain place that has been great for me finds are few and far in between but they are almost always a good on when you do again congrats on a great hunt and for braving the cold dennis :frozen: :frozen: :waving: :waving:

CTDirtFisher
03-04-2013, 06:55 AM
Tony,

Nice haul :-) A shield Nickel and a VDB Lincoln... a Pile of Wheaties... an Indian, silver, and a sweet token...

Awesome variety :wow: :congrats:

Lodge Scent
03-04-2013, 07:56 AM
Great hunt! That IS a cool token !

JdsCoins
03-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Great stuff Tony! :happydance01:

That 1909 VDB is in great shape for on old wheat, looks like it didn't even come out of the ground!

As shield nickel in any condition is awesome. I found a almost a dozen V nickels last year but have never found a shield. I don't even think I have a buffalo yet this year, or many one, can't remember.

I would pound that park to death with what you found there last year. I loved watching those vids! :grin:

JD

JdsCoins
03-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Glad to see that you took advantage of the weather. Nice pile of keepers. That token is really cool. :congrats: on the silver, shield nickle and of course the IH. I've gotten several 1909 VDB's but the S is always missing. We are suspose to have temps in the 40's all week so hopefully we will have a huge snow melt.

Your keeper to junk ration looks pretty good.

I couldn't believe it but last year I found a 1909-S (in horrible condition) But the VDB was missing. >:{

ssserena
03-04-2013, 11:10 PM
Thank you for commenting about the soil conditions getting southern illinoisians to comment about soil conditions was like pulling teeth any ways super hunt and a very nice amount of coins,i really like the murc and the old wheaty.Did you know that ive searched and extremely large amount of pennies the last 3 years and have only found (2) 1909 Wheaties your very fortunate to find one.Good indian head too!

jkress
03-05-2013, 12:49 AM
Wow... I'm very glad to see you can still get out Tony. :clapping: I can only guess, but I bet I'd have to dig through at least 1-2 feet of frozen ground here. crying01

Once again you were able to squeak out some very nice keepers from the parks in your area. :peace:

Congrats on the silver, Shield, IH, token, relics and Wheat cents. Especially the '09. Let the next one be from San Francisco. :yes:

AmxFred
03-05-2013, 02:16 PM
That token is very old and very nice. :congrats: