PDA

View Full Version : World War Worker Flag Pin - What is it...

CTDirtFisher
03-05-2013, 07:40 PM
I recovered this about 2 hours ago...

World War Worker on the front... Prov RI Pat Applied for on the back...

I did a Google search and looked thruogh a bunch of images... I could not match it up at all...

Anyone have any knowledge about this pin ??

del
03-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Hey Paul , i'm not positive but i bet it has something to do with the Women workforce that stepped up to fill the jobs during World War II . It might have been an organization / union that was started during or after the war .

Dan

CTDirtFisher
03-06-2013, 07:01 AM
Well... Some progress has been made on the ID...

The Small Circle on the left says &quot:grin:shocked04:ing my Bit Small circle on the right For Over There

Back is Marked PAT.APL'D FOR WLR'S EMB MFG, PROV. R.I..

So Dan's initial analysis makes sense that this would be a replacement worker for our troups heading over seas... and that worker would assumed to be Female...

Dan would think WWI or WWII ??

del
03-06-2013, 02:01 PM
hey very nice finding a good picture of one Paul |:cheering: |:cheering: i would say WWII era , it is really a very cool pin that shows a small glimps of the true past and importance Women who stepped up and did their part for their country when the need arose. it reminds me of the job my great Aunt had at the Springfield Armory during the war , she was just under 5 feet nothing and was a quality control inspector so her job was to test shoot the automatic machine guns (Tommy guns , B.A.R.'S ect. ) made and stored there. :yes: boy did she have some stories to tell.

Dan

CTDirtFisher
03-06-2013, 02:54 PM
&quot:grin:OING MY BIT FOR OVER THERE

I believe over there is a World War 1 quote but just guessing.

Remember the famous WWI song &quot:daydream:ver There?

Johnnie get your gun...the Yanks are coming! http://www.firstworldwar.com/audio/overthere.htm

Chorus
Over there, over there,
Send the word, send the word over there -
That the Yanks are coming,
The Yanks are coming,
The drums rum-tumming
Ev'rywhere.
So prepare, say a pray'r,
Send the word, send the word to beware.
We'll be over, we're coming over,
And we won't come back till it's over
Over there.

Bigcypresshunter at that other site :-)

CTDirtFisher
03-06-2013, 02:55 PM
I'd say World War One era, for threee reasons:
1- The term World War generally meant World War One. It was called the World War because nobody expected in that era that there would be another World War about 20 years later.
2- The term &quot:daydream:ver There on the :usaflag:-pin is almost certainly refers to one of the most popular American songs of the WW1 era. Over There - The Famous World War I Song, Over There
3- The :usaflag: is France's national :usaflag:. France is almost the only foreign country where the American troops fought in WW1. In WW2, American troops didn't get into France (except for a few small commando-raids) until the final 11 months of the war.

Edit: BigCypressHunter and I were typing at the same time.

Last edited by TheCannonballGuy;

freemindstuck
03-06-2013, 03:19 PM
I'd say World War One era, for threee reasons:
1- The term World War generally meant World War One. It was called the World War because nobody expected in that era that there would be another World War about 20 years later.
2- The term &quot:daydream:ver There on the :usaflag:-pin is almost certainly refers to one of the most popular American songs of the WW1 era. Over There - The Famous World War I Song, Over There
3- The :usaflag: is France's national :usaflag:. France is almost the only foreign country where the American troops fought in WW1. In WW2, American troops didn't get into France (except for a few small commando-raids) until the final 11 months of the war.

A very cool piece of history! Thanks for the educational info. :congrats: