PDA

View Full Version : Ticks

pulltabsteve
03-10-2013, 10:58 AM
Tick season is right around the corner. Everyone be careful out in the woods. I saw this tip on another site. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds like it would work.

Tick Removal

A nurse discovered a safe, easy way to remove ticks where
they automatically withdraw themselves when you follow her
simple instructions. Read this one as it could save you from
some major problems.

Spring is here and the ticks will soon be showing their heads.
Here is a good way to get them off you, your children,
or your pets. Give it a try.

A School Nurse has written the info below--good enough
to share--and it really works!

I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best
way to remove a tick. This is great because it works in
those places where it's sometimes difficult to get to with
tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of
dark hair, etc.

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick
with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few
seconds (15-20); the tick will come out on its own and be
stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away.

This technique has worked every time I've used it
(and that was frequently), and it's much less traumatic
for the patient and easier for me..

Also, if you just pull a tick off, their heads sometimes break off
and are left under the skin so this is much safer. Be aware

also that a tick with a white speck on its back is a Deer
Tick, these can cause Tick Fever so check yourself and
your family good if you see any of these!

Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this
would be damaging in any way.
Please pass on. Everyone needs this helpful hint.

freemindstuck
03-10-2013, 04:03 PM
That is a great tip! I don't know why but ticks don't normally bother me. They just seem to love one of my hunting buddies though. He'll pick 30 off of him where I might find one or two? It's weird because we'll use the same repellent. Another good tip is don't wear white clothing. I sprinkle a little sulpher around the tops of my shoes and never have any problems with chiggers.

Happy Hunting

Tony Two-Cent
03-11-2013, 06:09 AM
I have seen this tip on Facebook a lot recently, and several people have also pointed out that it's a hoax according to snopes.com.

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/tick.asp

:dontknow:

freemindstuck
03-11-2013, 07:20 AM
Thanks Tony for setting that straight! I guess it's back to pulling them the way I've always done. Although I haven't been bitten in years since I normally just pick em off. I thought about buying wide double sided sticky tape and wrapping it around my jeans above the knees but I haven't tried it yet. I do put rubber bands around my jeans just above my ankles sometimes to keep em from getting in my pants.

tanacat
03-11-2013, 07:24 AM
I have seen this tip on Facebook a lot recently, and several people have also pointed out that it's a hoax according to snopes.com.

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/tick.asp

:dontknow:

Thanks for the thread/tips- Snopes is great. I'd always thought you were supposed to twist them out- no wonder the head breaks off sometimes for me! I also use rubbing alcohol but never makes them detach- I sure would if I were a tick! We get ticks really bad here in Kentucky (tiny deer ticks). Having 2 young boys makes me nervous... with Lyme Disease, we go camping and hiking quite a bit.

I thought about buying wide double sided sticky tape and wrapping it around my jeans above the knees but I haven't tried it yet. I do put rubber bands around my jeans just above my ankles sometimes to keep em from getting in my pants.

That's a good idea- prevention! I wonder if true that they drop from trees above onto your head- when you pass by they sense your bodyheat? lol that's what my grandmother told me when I was a kid...

freemindstuck
03-11-2013, 07:50 AM
I wear a hat, but from experience I would say that they rarely drop from trees. I always seem to pick them up in the grass on my lower legs where they work their way up. Sometimes they make it to my neck before I catch them. So don't have long hair or put it up. And don't wear a shirt with a collar.
This web site backs up my personal experience.
http://www.tickencounter.org/prevention/protect_yourself

pulltabsteve
03-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Facebook giving out wrong infomation:huh: Say it isn't so. :white:usaflag::

Ill Digger
03-12-2013, 01:31 AM
My Dad always heats up the head of a stick pin with a lighter, then just touches the tic with the hot pin, and they back right out :shocked04: and fall off! :stretcher:
Works every time! thumbsup01

tanacat
03-24-2013, 08:24 AM
My Dad always heats up the head of a stick pin with a lighter, then just touches the tic with the hot pin, and they back right out :shocked04: and fall off! :stretcher:
Works every time! thumbsup01

Yeah I'd certainly let go if someone stuck me with a hot needle! lol